Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024 - GWS Giants - Rnd 1 this weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent win by the girls and if good enough have some very winnable games coming up.
Very happy for the ladies. :D

Super keen for the Sydney derby as it's likely going to be my first AFLW game of the season. Can't wait to cheer the ladies on.

After losing by under a goal at North Sydney Oval last year, would love to get a win this year. :)

Last edited:
Maybe this victory flatters us, but I’m happy. Before the start of the season, the market had us finishing equal last, and in our entire AFLW history we had only played finals once (and got eliminated straight away). Maybe looking at our next couple of games before getting hopes up, but the signs are good!

Maybe this victory flatters us, but I’m happy. Before the start of the season, the market had us finishing equal last, and in our entire AFLW history we had only played finals once (and got eliminated straight away). Maybe looking at our next couple of games before getting hopes up, but the signs are good!
Totally agree and I'm much the same.

I do wonder whether a large shot of confidence after today's game will go some way to assisting have a better season than was otherwise thought by the markets and the like.

Very happy for the ladies. :D

Super keen for the Sydney derby as it's likely going to be my first AFLW game of the season. Can't wait to cheer the ladies on.

After losing by under a goal at North Sydney Oval last year, would love to get a win this year. :)
I went with my daughter's team last night - I'll say, Sydney looked very good. Collingwood got a lot of chances and their goal kicking let them down, but Sydney was very clean against a strong opponent. If we put up a fight against them, I'd suggest Cam has been stooging us all preseason.

I went with my daughter's team last night - I'll say, Sydney looked very good. Collingwood got a lot of chances and their goal kicking let them down, but Sydney was very clean against a strong opponent.
I watched the game and totally agree.

If we put up a fight against them, I'd suggest Cam has been stooging us all preseason.
I'd be happy to see this because I've expressed some reservations about the coaching.

After Sydney went from not winning a game first season, 8th last season to potentially being quite up there this season I'd like to see growth from us.

It wasn't particularly pleasant hearing the commentator expect us to be near the bottom again this season when the first game of the round hadn't even finished.

I guess it remains to be seen.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 1.3 2.4 7.10 10.12 (72)
WESTERN BULLDOGS 0.1 1.2 1.2 1.3 (9)

GOALS
Greater Western Sydney:
Goldsworthy 4, O'Dowd 2, Garnett 2, Parker, Evans
Western Bulldogs:
McKee

BEST
Greater Western Sydney:
Barr, Goldsworthy, Parker, Beeson
Western Bulldogs:
Blackburn, Pritchard, Edmonds

INJURIES
Greater Western Sydney:
Pauga (ribs)
Western Bulldogs: Nil

Apologies for the intrusion, as a Canberran I go to most GWS Manuka games. The Dogs were basically a one-woman team in Blackburn trying to carry the kids. Still, GWS were great and looked much better than previous years. Spread and ball use was great even with the wind. Some good run and handball chains were fun to watch. Properly put the Dogs to the sword. Zali is an absolute gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One Giant leap

There’ll be plenty of questions going the Dogs’ way following this game, but as far as the Giants are concerned, they did what they needed to do and won emphatically at that. The wind made it tricky at times, but it could’ve been a far greater margin.

We’ll see how they stack up in the coming weeks: Richmond next week away, followed by a home game against the Gold Coast and then the Sydney Derby in week four. But there’s a lot to like from the Giants camp going forward.

Cam Bernasconi flipped a lot of magnets around. Alicia Eva and Tarni Evans were deployed forward and looked comfortable, Izzy Huntington was used as a defender and was hard to stop with her marking hands and Eilish O’Dowd in game one was used as the number one ruck.

O’Dowd will be a story this year, a rookie-lister from Ireland, her first play in this game saw her gather a loose ball from the centre and then run it to 30 metres to drill home the Giants opening goal. She worked over Alice Edmonds in this game and was in enough space to get herself another goal during the third term from the forward pocket.

Another player we’ll be watching this year is Kaitlyn Srhoj – the number three pick in last year’s AFLW Draft showed a lot in this one, the highlight a big contested mark on Dogs captain Deanna Berry and then hitting a target inside 50 after her back was crunched hitting the turf.

The Giants dominated the Dogs off the turnover and showed enough to suggest they’ll make some strides in season 2024.

The 3 main factors in our record breaking victory vs the Bulldogs in round 1

Well, the pre-season games were a bit ominous, and it was against the Bulldogs who have been ravaged by players leaving their program ... but that analysis points to progress in game style being made, and drafting/finding players who can improve the game style. A good read - well recommended.

Playing catchup:

Week 2 result

RICHMOND has responded from a shock opening-round defeat to West Coast, holding off a fast-finishing Greater Western Sydney by 11 points. GWS launched a brave fightback from 29 points down, kicking three straight goals to give itself an outside chance of pinching victory. Despite kicking just one goal in the second half, Richmond held on to win 5.8 (38) to 4.3 (27).

The Giants dominated after half-time, but their slow start cost them any chance of going 2-0 to back up last week's demolition of the hapless Western Bulldogs. GWS had the four leading disposal winners on the ground, headlined by Alyce Parker's 26.

RICHMOND 2.3 4.6 5.6 5.8 (38)
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 0.1 1.1 3.2 4.3 (27)

GOALS
Richmond:
Hosking 2, Greiser, Dempsey, Yassir
Greater Western Sydney:
Goldsworthy, Eva, Brazendale, Pauga

BEST
Richmond:
Brennan, McKenzie, Conti, Egan, Graham, Hosking
Greater Western Sydney:
Goldsworthy, Parker, O'Dowd, Barr, Beeson

INJURIES
Richmond:
Nil
Greater Western Sydney:
Nil

Week 3

The GIANTS have made one change ahead of their return to Manuka Oval this weekend.

Forward Jess Doyle will return to the side after missing last weekend’s match in Melbourne due to illness. The 20-year-old played a valuable role in the club’s opening round victory over the Bulldogs. Doyle returns in replace of last week’s debutant Courtney Murphy, who has been omitted.

The GIANTS will take on the Suns in a twilight fixture at Manuka Oval on Sunday at 5:05pm.

GWS-W v GCS-W.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024 - GWS Giants - Rnd 1 this weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back