Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024 - GWS Giants - Rnd 7 vs Saints Tue 8 Oct

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 6 New

Meghan Gaffney will return to take on the Demons in Melbourne on Thursday night.

The speedy winger returns in place of Aliesha Newman who will miss Thursday’s game with knee soreness after aggravating a pre-existing knee injury in the clash with the Eagles last week.

Gaffney takes her place in a GIANTS side looking to bounce back from a 24-point loss to the Eagles last week.

The match against the Demons comes as the GIANTS enter the busiest part of their 2024 schedule, with Thursday’s clash the first of three games across the next 11 days.

The GIANTS and the Demons will get under way at 7:15pm on Thursday under lights at Melbourne’s IKON Park.

GWS v MEL.png

Yet another loss 25 (3.7) to 41 (6.5) against Melbourne who were lower than us on the ladder before this game. We are currently 15th, with our next 4 games against St Kilda, Adelaide, Hawthorn and Fremantle - all teams in the top 8.
Melbourne's first quarter lead was just too much to overcome.

I've noticed that the last quarter fightback has been good in a couple of recent games but hasn't been enough to overcome the score.

Need to show that level of fight much earlier.

Round 7 New

GREATER Western Sydney will be without important defender Isabel Huntington for Tuesday's match, while St Kilda will unveil another draftee. Huntington, who is continuing to manage her knee after repeated ACL injuries, will be rested for the clash with St Kilda in Frankston. The former Bulldog has played five of a possible seven games so far this season, her first down back for the Giants.

More positively for GWS, it will regain midfielder Mikayla Pauga after a two-match ban for a dangerous tackle on Sydney's Montana Ham in week four.

Meanwhile, the Saints have named the No.10 pick from the 2023 Telstra AFLW Draft in Kiera Whiley for her debut. A tough, ball-winning inside midfielder, Whiley will complement the likes of Jaimee Lambert, Charlotte Simpson, and Tyanna Smith around the contest on Tuesday. Whiley comes in for a rested Olivia Vesely, while Alice Burke returns from illness, replacing Hannah Stuart, who comes out of the side for the same reason.

GWS-W v STK-W.png

Unfortunately another loss, being convincingly beaten by St Kilda 15 (2.3) to 49 (7.7). We are now at 1 win, 1 draw and 5 losses, with our next game the penultimate home game vs Adelaide at Henson Park. We are currently 16th on the ladder, and ever since our magnificent 63 point record win in the first round against the Bulldogs, things just have gone downhill :-(

Unfortunately another loss, being convincingly beaten by St Kilda 15 (2.3) to 49 (7.7). We are now at 1 win, 1 draw and 5 losses, with our next game the penultimate home game vs Adelaide at Henson Park. We are currently 16th on the ladder, and ever since our magnificent 63 point record win in the first round against the Bulldogs, things just have gone downhill :-(

I feel so bad for the ladies.

I'm on holidays and where I am the internet is shockingly bad so I couldn't watch much of the game

To say things have gone downhill is the polite way of putting it.

I won't be at the Crows game this weekend as I'm out of Sydney so I feel bad but hopefully Giants fans turn up for the ladies.

This season hasn't been as bad as I expected but it's still bad. We still need a change of game style and to move on the head coach. Assuming we replace Bernasconi I just hope we don't repeat the mistake of going with a development coach as our head coach again, who doesn't have the skill set to run a program and get the best of the players.

Whilst I think unfortunately we will be out of contention by then, the date and time of the last AFLW round has been confirmed - we play Port on 3 November as a twilight game.

Solid chance this might have been a tad awkward for Zreika
Given her position seems to be re: wearing it, not appearing in Pride Week (from memory she's played in Pride Weeks before we did a dedicated guernsey?) and she trains and plays with these girls week in and out, I suspect she'd care less than you'd think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024 - GWS Giants - Rnd 7 vs Saints Tue 8 Oct

Remove this Banner Ad

Back