Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024 - Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that's a bizarre decision, even if Ange won it, you let Hayley continue on as captain while Ange is out injured...
Agree wholeheartedly. Big congrats to Ange, I love her as a player, but ooh I feel for Hayley. It must be so hard to be voted out in the first place, but to ‘lose’ to someone who’s out for the season must really sting. I really hope she gets the onfield role for the year, I feel she’s been a really good captain over the past couple of seasons.

Agree wholeheartedly. Big congrats to Ange, I love her as a player, but ooh I feel for Hayley. It must be so hard to be voted out in the first place, but to ‘lose’ to someone who’s out for the season must really sting. I really hope she gets the onfield role for the year, I feel she’s been a really good captain over the past couple of seasons.
Do you think she’d want it? Club says it was voted by players and coaches and they’ve made 3 vice captains instead of just one so it appears she won’t be.

Hmm..
Conspiracy - Club taking a longer view than just this season, and Miller's last year in the purple?
First thoughts when seeing this news were:
Miller is moving somewhere next season
The team threw Ange a supportive vote for the knee and enough did to make her captain
I thought that too. The above was sitting unsent. (Didn’t want to breathe life into it)

yes strange decision to even leave Ange on the nominee list when out for season.

Byt maybe the club were worried someone else would be Miller this election and they wanted Miller out of Captainsrole and didnt want a caretaker captain

It really doesnt look good when a Captain is vote out, it means the players didnt think you did a good job for past 3 yrs.

Sadly looks like some lack of hsrmony in team. not a good start to the season

Nothign agaisnt Ange no idea of who she is.

It’s not decided by the board. It’s a player and coach decision.

Stannett has been a leader on and off field. She’s been attributed to being a great connector of the group during off season.

If the players feel she’s a better leader than miller, what’s the issue there?

Stannett has been a leader on and off field. She’s been attributed to being a great connector of the group during off season.

It had to be ratified by the board and was per the article posted.

Edit: the issue is she can't lead if she doesn't play, she is basically a coach this year, we already have one of them, your captain needs to be on field and leading.

It's different if she was already captain and got injured, that's out of the teams control, this is fully in our control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It had to be ratified by the board and was per the article posted.

Edit: the issue is she can't lead if she doesn't play, she is basically a coach this year, we already have one of them, your captain needs to be on field and leading.

It's different if she was already captain and got injured, that's out of the teams control, this is fully in our control.
Still doesn't make it a board decision.

They just agreed to tick off what was voted by the playing and coaching group.

Still doesn't make it a board decision.

They just agreed to tick off what was voted by the playing and coaching group.
The board decided to tick it off though?

They should have turned it down

Tbh it shouldn't have got as far as the board in the first place, can't believe someone didn't step in at some point in the chain

because captain is ONFIELD leader. not OFF FIELD LEADER. this deciion should have waited until end of year when she ready to return

Miller knocks back an offer to leave club and then the players vote her out as captain

She is an amazing lady and strong to be able to keep playing for a team that doesnt respect her leadeship and prefer an off field captain to her.

because captain is ONFIELD leader. not OFF FIELD LEADER. this deciion should have waited until end of year when she ready to return

Miller knocks back an offer to leave club and then the players vote her out as captain

She is an amazing lady and strong to be able to keep playing for a team that doesnt respect her leadeship and prefer an off field captain to her.
Captain is both. The on field part is only a small portion of that, and can be filled by the leadership group.

The game is a tiny % of the week.

Love to hear the whole process. Eg. is each person asked to accept the nominations from players.

I still think Ange should have said "Thankyou, but no not this year, dont nominate me "

Captain is both. The on field part is only a small portion of that, and can be filled by the leadership group.

The game is a tiny % of the week.
having played and coached the game. the ONFIELD on game day is critical. this is why a number of clubs play worse when Captain injured, luckily mens team played great in abscence of Alex PEarce. But it can be very different

Just feel for poor Miller who i thought was doing a good job in Fremantles rebuilding after losing so many of our players .

Nothing against Stannett but that's a very bizarre decision to have non playing captain.

It would be different if she was already captain then got injured to retain it but to do an ACL then announce her is just weird.

Yeah just to clarify

Completely nothing against Stannett, she's a good player and I'm sure will be a great leader (when fit)

It doesn't matter who the player is, it's the wrong decision
as a full paid up member i am not happy. Been a full member of AFLW FREMANTLE since inception and was disappined 2020 the AFL chose to not end the season after a delay. WE would have won a premiership

Then we lost so many good players.

Was jsut stsrting to look like they gelling by end of last years with great leadership from Miller .

But this vote shows there is dissension in the camp.

At juniors levels we always did a vote for captain. not sure players voting for their leader is a good thing. Just doesnt feel right for a professional team/ club

makes it feel like it judt a social gathering for fun. Yes it early days . but we need to show we professional to gain respect of more fans and sponsors and especially other teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back