Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024 - Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s the same process as the men.

We aren’t inside and don’t know what else is happening.

I remember that moose’s appointment was widely criticised as well. These are professional athletes in a full time environment now, not some mean girls clique bullshit.

Let’s see what it looks like.

having played and coached the game. the ONFIELD on game day is critical. this is why a number of clubs play worse when Captain injured, luckily mens team played great in abscence of Alex PEarce. But it can be very different

Just feel for poor Miller who i thought was doing a good job in Fremantles rebuilding after losing so many of our players .
Ugh. The old "I've played and I've coached so I know better than others"...

I haven't played and I haven't coached. I have read a sh*t tonne of media though, and all the media and messaging coming from the club (if not the competition/profession more generally) signals a shift in mindset around captaincy, on-field leadership, etc., a shift away precisely from that attitude.

At any rate, I personally can't see how the act itself of not being named as captain actually, materially diminishes the leadership capabilities of that person. If it doesn't, then I also don't see how whoever is standing in as captain on the day will somehow be less effective than they would have been had they been named captain at the start of the season. Unless what you're saying is that e.g. Miller values personal recognition over team success, or that she's a bit of a petty person who won't put as much into on-field leadership because she was snubbed? That would sound to me like a very good reason not to nominate her as captain.

Miller is a f*cking awesome player and has been a fantastic captain. It's a surprise, no doubt, that Stannett was elected over her, but hardly the monumental f*ckup it's being projected as here.

It’s the same process as the men.

We aren’t inside and don’t know what else is happening.

I remember that moose’s appointment was widely criticised as well. These are professional athletes in a full time environment now, not some mean girls clique bullshit.

Let’s see what it looks like.
they are not full time yet. not paid enough to do that.

So perhsap it is MEAN GIRLS

I see no reason to choose an injirred palyer as your captain, unles you detested the curent one

Ugh. The old "I've played and I've coached so I know better than others"...

I haven't played and I haven't coached. I have read a sh*t tonne of media though, and all the media and messaging coming from the club (if not the competition/profession more generally) signals a shift in mindset around captaincy, on-field leadership, etc., a shift away precisely from that attitude.

At any rate, I personally can't see how the act itself of not being named as captain actually, materially diminishes the leadership capabilities of that person. If it doesn't, then I also don't see how whoever is standing in as captain on the day will somehow be less effective than they would have been had they been named captain at the start of the season. Unless what you're saying is that e.g. Miller values personal recognition over team success, or that she's a bit of a petty person who won't put as much into on-field leadership because she was snubbed? That would sound to me like a very good reason not to nominate her as captain.

Miller is a f*cking awesome player and has been a fantastic captain. It's a surprise, no doubt, that Stannett was elected over her, but hardly the monumental f*ckup it's being projected as here.Get Flo
wow. a personal attack ... i only mentioned my experience not to say i know all or am right but to say why i think the way i do,

I guess this is why internet is not a place to post opinions

I remember that moose’s appointment was widely criticised as well.
And not just at the announcement. For the majority of 2023 people banging on about how it was such a mistake to have Pearce as Captain (would be interesting to compare with the talk around Mundy's 2016). Now, all of a sudden he's a great captain, the perfect person to hold the post for a few years before Serong (sometimes Brayshaw) claims his rightful place.

they are not full time yet. not paid enough to do that.

So perhsap it is MEAN GIRLS

I see no reason to choose an injirred palyer as your captain, unles you detested the curent one
Or if the incumbent was absent during off season and you didn’t feel connected to.

Or if the the incumbent seemed to struggle with the extra weight of captaincy.

Or if the incumbent was considering moving.

Or if the incumbent had a relationship with another player that were unable to separate from the leadership position.

Or if the new person actually is a better leader regardless of any other hypotheticals.

And they are full time. Sure it’s not the same sort of money as the men, and many will still choose to work other jobs as is their right, but it’s certainly a lot better than it was, with more increases to come

Currently, AFLW clubs allocate its player payments based on four tiers. The majority use the same payment structure that sees two players on Tier 1 contracts, six players on Tier 2 deals, six players on Tier 3 contracts, and the rest on Tier 4.

The salary for Tier 4 contracts, the lowest of the four-tier system, is due to rise from $55,077 to $67,337 by 2025 as part of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. That figure will then increase to $70,030 in 2026 and then $72,373 by 2027.

Or if the incumbent was absent during off season and you didn’t feel connected to.

Or if the the incumbent seemed to struggle with the extra weight of captaincy.

Or if the incumbent was considering moving.

Or if the incumbent had a relationship with another player that were unable to separate from the leadership position.

Or if the new person actually is a better leader regardless of any other hypotheticals.

And they are full time. Sure it’s not the same sort of money as the men, and many will still choose to work other jobs as is their right, but it’s certainly a lot better than it was, with more increases to come
as far as i am aware they are nearly all part timers . needing approval from bosses to play games etc.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics the average earnings for full-time adults annual salary of approximately $98,000.

So until the average for AFLW is closer to the average australian they going to have to potentially keep working at regular job too

as far as i am aware they are nearly all part timers . needing approval from bosses to play games etc.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics the average earnings for full-time adults annual salary of approximately $98,000.

So until the average for AFLW is closer to the average australian they going to have to potentially keep working at regular job too
Now do average salary for a 20-30yo woman. I think you’ll find once you remove all the 50+ yo men in management positions the average is a lot lower than you think.

Now do average salary for a 20-30yo woman. I think you’ll find once you remove all the 50+ yo men in management positions the average is a lot lower than you think.
of course google is our firend here

The average female salary in Australia is $82,850 per year

so yes $16000 difference , but still far more than what is offered to AFLW players.

yes many people are low income in australia. but dont fool yourselves. you dont need to be a managment position to earn big dollars.

big industyry in australia pays big dollars.

lawyers. doctors. engineers all well represented with women now.

You don't want to know what players who play for Australia get paid then...

AFLW when compared to other sports is way ahead.

It's still in the realm of needing a regular job, or having one because you can get ahead in life, but not in the same ball park as literal olympic sports. What were swimmers paid, the absolute top pay, $30k?

Basically every single woman athlete you've seen competing for Australia has been a nurse or something in the background.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It should be pointed out the $55K which will increase to $72K in the next couple years is the MINIMUM and not the AVERAGE. For young women beginning their careers, they are earning quite well and that amount is improving quickly. It's not near the men's side but is a good start.

However, the short nature of the season does allow players to have their own career's outside of football if they wish. I'm sure plenty of players like Ange who does a lot of personal training have other commitments whether it is work or study outside of playing footy.

of course google is our firend here

The average female salary in Australia is $82,850 per year

so yes $16000 difference , but still far more than what is offered to AFLW players.

yes many people are low income in australia. but dont fool yourselves. you dont need to be a managment position to earn big dollars.

big industyry in australia pays big dollars.

lawyers. doctors. engineers all well represented with women now.
You missed the 20-30yo part of the equation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back