Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Today was all on the girls

No effort, no heart, scared of the contest, all day.
No, Carlton were really good running off half back or through the middle when kicking with the wind and it wasn't addressed.

Both quarters into the wind was about us holding on and keeping them at bay. There was no indication of any style of play to try and score ourselves.

It's all coaching imo.

No, Carlton were really good running off half back or through the middle when kicking with the wind and it wasn't addressed.

Both quarters into the wind was about us holding on and keeping them at bay. There was no indication of any style of play to try and score ourselves.

It's all coaching imo.
That game reminded me of the men’s loss to Essendon.

Also the girls should pack away and avoid bouncing the ball. Just run 10 metres and kick long. Every time leads to a terrible bounce and turnover. One late in the game I said to my wife if she bounces it now it will be mucked up and turnover.

It's all coaching imo.
We were out pressured and out run

Stood no chance when those two things don't happen, thats purely on the girls

It's all coaching imo.
Cant fault overall effort but we beat ourselfs every week with basic skill errors, always handball to a player who is in a worst recieve position instead of taking yards with the legs and kick it long
Newton gets the possessions but more time than not wastes it with poor disposal
Too many players that dont give an honest 4 quarters
THank God for Mim and Aish Mac (but not her best today) also Pugh give her best
Dris give 100% but makes some very poor decisions with the ball

It's all coaching imo.
Nah some is coaching (especially setups around stoppage) but most of it is dumb football and no skills. To add to the woes this week our tackling in stoppage looked non existent. Carlton just walked out of there Not sure what the coaches see in East. Definitely need to recruit a couple of quick, skillful, classy, smart midfielders and a good small forward.

Last edited:
Definitely flat footed far too often, reactive and caught on the wrong side of contest. Not sure why. Freo Oval performances have been off this year.

We also could've put them on the rack in the opening minutes. But instead of looking to pass off or put it to the hot spot, we took shots at goal out of range and turned it over. Surely a drill at training to avoid those misguided long shots is a must.

Nah some is coaching (especially setups around stoppage) but most of it is dumb football and no skills. To add to the woes this week our tackling in stoppage looked non existent. Carlton just walked out of there Not sure what the coaches see in East. Definitely need to recruit a couple if quick, skillful, classy, smart midfielders and a good small forward.
East is pretty tough, in and under type and coming along. Can't understand the criticism myself.

As for mids, I'd imagine Miller would've been pretty handy today.

East is pretty tough, in and under type and coming along. Can't understand the criticism myself.

As for mids, I'd imagine Miller would've been pretty handy today.
Doesn't chase, slow, very little body strength, not a great kick. Should only play until we get something better imo. Happy to see improvement and proved wrong but I haven't seen her win much hard ball. I'll watch more carefully but it hasn't been obvious. To me at least.
Miller was a big out but Morrison wasn't the best substitute. She needs a preseason.

Was keeping an eye on the clock and the score in the last quarter and kept thinking 10 pts isn't a match winning lead and thought one more goal from us, or a few rushed points to get it over 2 goals would have been enough, but as it got towards the last 5 or so minutes it looked as though we were defending well enough so it's cruel to lose the lead in the last minute, but I guess we won one a few weeks ago with a kick after the siren.

We had a chance to get that lead when we had the ball in front of our goals in the last quarter for a few minutes and while we kept the pressure on we didn't have that player (Miller) to burst through on goal, and O'Sullivan was quiet today.

When you look at the stats there's so many areas where the two teams were equal. Clearances and centre clearances in their favour and disposal efficiency in our favour are the areas of discrepancy. I feel like most of our mistakes came late and Carlton had to work hard for the win, but as we were the favourites on our home ground it does suck.

There was a culmination of a lot of little contest losses that gave up territory and kept the ball forward of centre for them. Not being able to pick up a loose ball, misjudging a bounce, being in control for chains of possession and the teamwork breaking down with one player trying to do too much, a miskick or a mishandle, balls that went out of bounds, the odd free kick given away. Just run of the mill ordinary skill stuff that just tipped us over in the end.

There were some really good performances out there from O'Driscoll with her marking and tackling, Strom strong in the ruck hit outs and some classic field kicking from Brazill.

Doesn't chase, slow, very little body strength, not a great kick. Should only play until we get something better imo. Happy to see improvement and proved wrong but I haven't seen her win much hard ball. I'll watch more carefully but it hasn't been obvious. To me at least.
Miller was a big out but Morrison wasn't the best substitute. She needs a preseason.
Maybe. Although she's done a few run down tackles just in the past few weeks. So.

East was showing improvement this year but jeez today was like the East of old

Hopefully just first game back after concussion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

East was showing improvement this year but jeez today was like the East of old

Hopefully just first game back after concussion
Just looking at the numbers East had 10 tackles in each of her last two full games in rounds 3 & 4 so there's a bit to search with there. That's approaching on Bowers territory... almost 😉.

She actually only missed 1.5 weeks in the end though, getting concussed in r5.

And she only debuted in '22, so it's a little harsh putting strong judgements on that year especially.

Players spend too much time shepherding for each only for a Carlton player to come in and get the ball.

Constantly getting in each other's way, no structure at all and no method in the last quarter to do anything other than try to stop Carlton scoring.

Poor first quarters every game but yeah it's not the coach.

Players spend too much time shepherding for each only for a Carlton player to come in and get the ball.

Constantly getting in each other's way, no structure at all and no method in the last quarter to do anything other than try to stop Carlton scoring.

Poor first quarters every game but yeah it's not the coach.
As some people on here decided she wasn't any good after one game it's hard to take much of the criticism seriously. When she has a classier, faster, smarter team to work with, then I'll probably put all the blame on her.

We should have chosen Daniel Webster who has shown in his short time at Hawthorn a much more attractive and attacking brand of footy.

Webb another job for the boys/girls appointment.

Definitely flat footed far too often, reactive and caught on the wrong side of contest. Not sure why. Freo Oval performances have been off this year.

We also could've put them on the rack in the opening minutes. But instead of looking to pass off or put it to the hot spot, we took shots at goal out of range and turned it over. Surely a drill at training to avoid those misguided long shots is a must.
Might be a big oval i don't know. I imagine a slower side would prefer a smaller ground.

As some people on here decided she wasn't any good after one game it's hard to take much of the criticism seriously. When she has a classier, faster, smarter team to work with, then I'll probably put all the blame on her.
So because we don't have those classier, faster, smarter team, you are happy to see us meander aimlessly without trying something different? Good for you, don't think any of us have the patience.

We should have chosen Daniel Webster who has shown in his short time at Hawthorn a much more attractive and attacking brand of footy.

Webb another job for the boys/girls appointment.
I knew that was coming. They need a male coach and everything will be alright. She has male assistants from what i can tell but the only line that is running well is the backline which is being coached by a woman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back