Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately Ella doesn't want to come, this was before they even had Daisy Pearce, I'd be stunned if she changed her mind now.

WCE are building around a core of youngsters and most of them were already friends, its part of why Franky walked out on us.

Cain walked out on us and said she always wanted to be a bomber, is now their captain, she aint coming back
Franklin is died in the wool WC. And they offered her (relatively) heaps to go there. It's pretty much that, not what they're building. She had supposedly strong relationships with teammates here too. Ultimately we're better off.

Do you know the reasons behind the Roxy decision? That one baffled me.
Roux seemed to be on a form decline across her last few seasons here unfortunately (when fit). Lots of injuries reduced her capacity to be as explosive as she was in those early years and she never could get involved enough otherwise.

She was then always vulnerable to a list shakeout.

Would've like her to have a decent go at developing across the halfback line, but no dice it seems.

I am not sure what they could have done recruitment wise with the compromised drafts and the expansion teams. Its only this year its really worth it for a player to move over

I think generally they have done a good job, Kauffman and Scanlon have been good additions. I understand why we went for Mullholland and Cregg to build up some size and strength (we are generally really small) I think this years trades and top ups all look the goods

I wonder if the tightness of the team may be both a boon and barrier and if a player isn't part of the core squad they struggle. I cant remember Roux or Franklin part of the out of season training groups. ]

Must say i am a big fan that the whole squad flies to all away games.

Last edited:
I thought the girls last half was impressive

Good fight back and ran hard. Just need to improve their forward 50 entries
Started watching the replay yesterday (was only able to catch the last quarter on Saturday) after watching the GWS-Suns game.

Gotta say, from what I've seen so far (I'll try finish watching it today) our game against Port was 2 or 3 levels above the GWS-Suns game. It's like chalk and cheese.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i trulythink they spending too much time learning Strategy and not enough just doing skills drills.

i dont want to sound mean, but really they need to get back to Junior style training. doing lots of one left one right kick to kick before even starting training. then do lots of drills running and kicking and handballing. every one to have lots of touches of the ball

i watched some preseason training of the Girls once and they were learning the strategy of kickouts from a behind and also zone defences. but due to their skills being lower than needed they werent doing it well. so just need to get back to basics.

i trulythink they spending too much time learning Strategy and not enough just doing skills drills.

i dont want to sound mean, but really they need to get back to Junior style training. doing lots of one left one right kick to kick before even starting training. then do lots of drills running and kicking and handballing. every one to have lots of touches of the ball

i watched some preseason training of the Girls once and they were learning the strategy of kickouts from a behind and also zone defences. but due to their skills being lower than needed they werent doing it well. so just need to get back to basics.
Neesham was genius with his game style and ahead of his time. The lesson is that coaches shouldn't go too ahead of their players. I have been guilty myself.

What I saw from the games this year, is that the team is dropping a lot of marks. Structures break down very easy if the fundamentals are an issue.

I remember being at the Dockers first game ever in Footscray. First quarter we tried to kick sideways to create a switch of play. The issue is that most of players couldn't kick more than 30m and we switched a lot of times into a strong breeze. That resulted in turnover goals. With the wind we sometimes switched to the "dead side" of the ground.

Cowan failure to understand the abilities of her players and instead tried to show her master tactical skills.

Gee, a lot of negativity here after a win.

Really, from what I see, we're above average in the league for skills and our ball movement has proved pretty good in 2/3s of the games this season.

Sure there's a lot of randomness and hesitancy at times (across the league). Almost all of the players don't have year upon year, layer upon layer, of hard edged footy from a young age to hone an instinctual way of playing. Even the ones who have had more years are doing it in comps with the majority of players are still finding their way in the game.

A higher priority on one touch footy and a hard edge at the contest would be nice, but even the coach doesn't have that long-standing immersion in the game which might have an impact.

Gee, a lot of negativity here after a win.

Really, from what I see, we're above average in the league for skills and our ball movement had proved pretty good in 2/3s of the games this season.

Sure there's a lot of randomness and hesitancy at times (across the league). Almost all of the players don't have year upon year, later upon layer, of hard edged footy from a young age to hone an instinctual way of playing. Even the ones who have had more years are doing it in comps with the majority of players still finding their way in the game.

A higher priority on one touch footy and a hard edge at the contest would be nice, but even the coach doesn't have that long-standing immersion in the game which might have an impact.
I expect Fremantle to be far ahead of Port and to be competitive against the Crows.

Alot of dropped uncontested marks which is a massive concern for me. Now you either need to alter the game style or improve marking or a bit of both.

I see the wind more of factor in women's football than the men's and therefore, the game style should factor the wind more. Example, against the wind play the dead wing and with the wind play the flesh wing.

I expect Fremantle to be far ahead of Port and to be competitive against the Crows.

Alot of dropped uncontested marks which is a massive concern for me. Now you either need to alter the game style or improve marking or a bit of both.

I see the wind more of factor in women's football than the men's and therefore, the game style should factor the wind more. Example, against the wind play the dead wing and with the wind play the flesh wing.
Having watched most of the game on replay the dropped marks didn't strike me as a crippling issue (from a comp standpoint). I wasn't particularly looking for that, so maybe I missed it.

Looking at the stats though and I see we took more marks than Port (including more marks i50)... and it was a pretty gusty day with some flukey winds.

We also handballed almost twice as much as them, so it would suggest we're not totally reliant on a precision kick game.

Having watched most of the game on replay the dropped marks didn't strike me as a crippling issue (from a comp standpoint). I wasn't particularly looking for that, so maybe I missed it.

Looking at the stats though and I see we took more marks than Port (including more marks i50)... and it was a pretty gusty day with some flukey winds.

We also handballed almost twice as much as them, so it would suggest we're not totally reliant on a precision kick game.
It mostly against the Crows.

If they want the women to improve, they need to let them play more. Look at strom. Really starting to put it together… fifty games in. But they only play ten games a season. Takes too long! Get injured at the wrong time, and it’s all over. Ludicrous they don’t all play each other once.
everyone improves over time. but even strom is still dropping marks she should take.

more training time

i want the AFLW to improve but sadly the commentators are instructed to ignore mistakes, the umpires are missing too many free kicks for incorrect disposal of the ball.

They should play the same rules as the AFLM. No boundary umpires moving in 5m from the boundary. 18 per side on field. 4 on the bench.

everyone improves over time. but even strom is still dropping marks she should take.

more training time

i want the AFLW to improve but sadly the commentators are instructed to ignore mistakes, the umpires are missing too many free kicks for incorrect disposal of the ball.

They should play the same rules as the AFLM. No boundary umpires moving in 5m from the boundary. 18 per side on field. 4 on the bench.
Yeah because no one drops marks they "should take" in the AFL or gets away with chucking the ball around.

Strom's development has been brilliant over these past two years and she was an absolute tyro on the weekend.

You also seem to find it hard to make up your mind on whether you want innovative rules or copycat rules in the AFLW. Maybe delving into it might help you be more definitive. So what specific advantage or value do you think there is by the AFLW having the exact same rules as the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back