Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of the girls will be full-time footballers soon and some probably already are. They should be expected to improve areas of their game especially fitness and skills.
I agree.

However the best environment to build fitness and learn skill execution is in game, under pressure. And the league gives them a handful of games.

Need to get to a 17-18 game season.

Yeah because no one drops marks they "should take" in the AFL or gets away with chucking the ball around.

Strom's development has been brilliant over these past two years and she was an absolute tyro on the weekend.

You also seem to find it hard to make up your mind on whether you want innovative rules or copycat rules in the AFLW. Maybe delving into it might help you be more definitive. So what specific advantage or value do you think there is by the AFLW having the exact same rules as the AFL?
the amount of no pressure dropped marks is more in the womens.
more "let it play on " calls in Womens.

But both should be much less. when contesting marks yes can accept not holding it.

It is not knocking the girls. they are al ltrying . i truly just dont beleive they are training the basics as much as they should

I hope they get more skill assitants into the coaching group. and spend time doing that.

Having coached women before especially those that never played or those with very little experience. we always started with line kicking. one left . one right. 15-20 m apart, then handball drills one left one right, then onto running drills involvign kicking on the run to a lead. was great to see them pick up skills.

Once i return to Australia will return to coaching i love it. whether it be little kids in Auskick, juniors. seniors, masters, ladies.

It is an amazing thign to see desire or individuals develop as they learn new and improved skills.

I agree.

However the best environment to build fitness and learn skill execution is in game, under pressure. And the league gives them a handful of games.

Need to get to a 17-18 game season.
Over time maybe. The season seems a bit long for the guys sometimes, especially for young players. Not sure how 17 rounds would go for the girls at this point of their development.

the amount of no pressure dropped marks is more in the womens.
more "let it play on " calls in Womens.

But both should be much less. when contesting marks yes can accept not holding it.

It is not knocking the girls. they are al ltrying . i truly just dont beleive they are training the basics as much as they should

I hope they get more skill assitants into the coaching group. and spend time doing that.

Having coached women before especially those that never played or those with very little experience. we always started with line kicking. one left . one right. 15-20 m apart, then handball drills one left one right, then onto running drills involvign kicking on the run to a lead. was great to see them pick up skills.

Once i return to Australia will return to coaching i love it. whether it be little kids in Auskick, juniors. seniors, masters, ladies.

It is an amazing thign to see desire or individuals develop as they learn new and improved skills.
Generally at junior level it’s the parents of the kids who coach. But it’s interesting you say in your coaching days how you would coach the basics…just get them doing it repeatedly.

But back to the specific idea about copycat rules for AFLW from the AFL. What specific advantage/value do you think this adds to the comp?

best environment to learn new skills is when not under pressure.
best environment to fine tune those skills is under pressure match day etc.
I’d say even honing skills benefits from reducing pressure. Best thing to learn under pressure is executing under pressure.

Yeah because no one drops marks they "should take" in the AFL or gets away with chucking the ball around.

Strom's development has been brilliant over these past two years and she was an absolute tyro on the weekend.

You also seem to find it hard to make up your mind on whether you want innovative rules or copycat rules in the AFLW. Maybe delving into it might help you be more definitive. So what specific advantage or value do you think there is by the AFLW having the exact same rules as the AFL?
Not the person you're asking, but I'm interested in this topic.

IMO, Last Touch makes the AFLW skills look worse. Long kicks down the line are encouraged to go centrally instead of along the boundary. Often, these get intercepted by the opponent making it look like a bad kick.
That said, Last Touch makes more sense in AFLM where the rules have too much interpretation.
Likewise, moving boundary throw-ins away from the boundary makes it more open and should be introduced to AFLM.

Maybe Raz has some experience with coaching the women's game with different weighted footballs. It always seems like the AFLW ball floats and bounces unpredictably compared to the heavier AFLM football.

IMO, Last Touch makes the AFLW skills look worse. Long kicks down the line are encouraged to go centrally instead of along the boundary. Often, these get intercepted by the opponent making it look like a bad kick.
That said, Last Touch makes more sense in AFLM where the rules have too much interpretation.
Likewise, moving boundary throw-ins away from the boundary makes it more open and should be introduced to AFLM.

Maybe Raz has some experience with coaching the women's game with different weighted footballs. It always seems like the AFLW ball floats and bounces unpredictably compared to the heavier AFLM football.
I'm a bit iffy on the last touch too. It's all a bit too random really to significantly influence behaviour trends in one way or another.

My question was more on whether there is any advantage to having the exact same rules you have in the AFL in the AFLW. As Raz is advocating today.

different size footbal lfor men and ladies.

everyone improves over time. but even strom is still dropping marks she should take.

more training time

i want the AFLW to improve but sadly the commentators are instructed to ignore mistakes, the umpires are missing too many free kicks for incorrect disposal of the ball.

They should play the same rules as the AFLM. No boundary umpires moving in 5m from the boundary. 18 per side on field. 4 on the bench.
Absolutely strom is not the finished product and needs to improve. But in AFL reaching 50 games is still pretty inexperienced. At 100 you kind of say, that’s what we’re going to get. What will strom be like at 100 games? But will she have a chance to get there… takes so long, so many seasons for the women. They need practice yes. But they also need game practice at the highest level and they aren’t getting that. How many woman have hit the 100 game mark? They don’t have as much time. A longer season is both fairer as everyone plays each other once) and allows the game and skills to progress.

I’ve just been thinking, prompted by the question in the Doig thread - why isn’t Ebony Antonio a life member? I have no problem with Gabby getting it - I think it’s awesome they’re recognising the women despite the lower number of games played, and it’s well deserved.
However, the real question is what about Hayley Miller?
Club games record holder with 75 games (Gabby has 67)
1 x AA (Gabby 0)
1 x B&F (Gabby 0)
1 x leading goal kicker (Gabby 0)
3 seasons as captain (Gabby 0)
What has (hasn’t) she done to get overlooked like this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"O’Sullivan becomes just the third AFLW player, behind Hayley Miller and Kara Antonio, to be inducted as a Life Member, after playing the required 60 AFLW games last season to earn Life Membership. O’Sullivan is one of the four original W Freo Docker players who still remain at the Club."

I’ve just been thinking, prompted by the question in the Doig thread - why isn’t Ebony Antonio a life member?
Only 57 games. This season not counted yet. So she will be in next year.

Aidy Bryant Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Absolutely strom is not the finished product and needs to improve. But in AFL reaching 50 games is still pretty inexperienced. At 100 you kind of say, that’s what we’re going to get. What will strom be like at 100 games? But will she have a chance to get there… takes so long, so many seasons for the women. They need practice yes. But they also need game practice at the highest level and they aren’t getting that. How many woman have hit the 100 game mark? They don’t have as much time. A longer season is both fairer as everyone plays each other once) and allows the game and skills to progress.
Strom was a matchwinner on Saturday. There's going to be ups and downs in her development, but she's definitely ahead of the curve with her performances.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the last touch rule, especially when you see opposition players either shepherd the ball or allow the ball to go over the line when they could just pick it up and kick forward.

The free kick is too much of a reward for not attempting to keep the ball in play when the opposition has touched it last.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the last touch rule, especially when you see opposition players either shepherd the ball or allow the ball to go over the line when they could just pick it up and kick forward.

The free kick is too much of a reward for not attempting to keep the ball in play when the opposition has touched it last.
Last touch would be better if they had more option like the missing two players . Make it 18 per side same as AFLM

It's a simple fix, insufficient intent just goes both ways. If you could but didn't, ball in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back