Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like we played very simple direct football today that was more instinctive and uncomplicated than the opposition style. We got it on quick, surged it forward when we could and put pressure on. Maybe the only subtly to this was a few times late in quarters where we went long and to the boundary side inside 50m to work it over the boundary and keep it in there with stoppages. It's not a bad strategy, though I thought they got better at rebounding as the game went on. One of the Wakfer sisters for them, the one who played in defence finished the game off strongly.

Some teams just aren't up to the level their coach is tactically trying to get them to, and I think that might be the case with WC. When they tried to change direction coming out by working it sideways they didn't have the skills to pull it off.

One thing when we did kick long, there aren't many players who can go back and judge the flight of the ball to take an overhead mark, so there's usually spills that a forward charging team can close down. Likewise when we kick it into space inside the forward 50m and it favours the opposition to run onto it first, it still takes time to gather the ball cleanly. There aren't a lot of one touch players who can pick it up and clear it in a way that Brazill is doing for us.

I thought we had good follow up to our entries to get to those contests quickly and chase them down so their next kick was under pressure back to a contest. Biedenweg-Webster is quick and Antonio looks like she's gradually getting back to a good level of fitness and can apply some pressure now - and others like Verrier tackled strongly as did the midfielders Newton and McCarthy running in.

Last edited:
Verrier absolutely buried some hapless Weavil sheila who looked like she was crying afterwards. I would have been. Brutal.

Gee, I love beating the slime.

Seeing that traitor Franklin handing out air kisses after slotting their only goal actually riled me right the **** up.

Fantastic to shut that shit down.

Well done, Freo wimmin. Brave and strong and refusing to bow.

Love ya.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back