After 20 years of AFL...Did we make the right choice?

Remove this Banner Ad

We were in no hurry to join the VFL, we had the player retention scheme running and we were champs of Australia. There were the doubters that painted the doom and gloom picture in SA at the time but I didn't see this as evident and many believed we could have held out for as long as it took for the VFL to drop their contentious 4 million dollar entry conditions.

Had things fallen into place we would have joined the VFL under our own terms but we foolishly assumed all clubs in the SANFL were together on this and the VFL would eventually come crawling to us to join their financially troubled league.

Well the rest is history but in reality the VFL needed SA football more than we needed them and this was backed up by the TV networks during that round of bidding. The networks were not prepared to overpay for a national league that did not involve all football states and especially the current Champs of Australia.

We were in a position of strength had we stuck together but once the Port bid surfaced this all went out the window.

Aneale is on the money with this, the SANFL only ever looked at joining the VFL to protect their own interests. They tried to join in 82 to stop the player drain over the border, obviously it failed because the other VFL teams were worried that a SA side with SA as it's sole recruiting ground would be too strong and were concerned that if SA joined under these conditions that the WAFL would then look into joining under the same pretence.

It seemed to be that once they knew they couldnt protect the SANFL from player drain they then changed their focus from joining the VFL and wanted to create a league where the WAFL, SANFL and VFL were all joint operators (confirmed on Headliners on the old fox footy channel).

I often doubt whether the SANFL actually had any real intention of joining the VFL/AFL once the expansion was announced, one of the big sticking points was the name and when the VFL elected to change their name and the SANFL then continued to still refuse to join it began to become obvious that the SANFL were playing games and trying to stall. I think that even if the AFL dropped the 4 mill the SANFL still would have found some reason why they werent happy.

I still believe that the AFL used Port Adelaide as a pawn to wake the SANFL into action.

I think Fremantle are beneficiaries of being in a state that is booming both economically and population wise.

Economics and population do not explain why Fremantle and West Coast are far closer to in terms of supporter parity than in SA where the Crows have a huge disparity when compared with Port.

Fremantle are faring better because they didnt join the AFL with an albatross around their neck. I have always argued that the Port Adelaide name is both Port's greatest strength is also it biggest weakness.

Considering the Freo experiement possibly a 2nd composite side in the long term would have fared better than Port. Obviously Port were best short term option, but in retrospect whether they were the best long term option remains a bone of contention

Aneale your team of 84 is basically the SA team of that era.
Had we gone in with only half of those players we would have been more than competitive. Not sure Macca would have left Norwood though. (one of a kind)
But come on, you have Rendell on the bench and old man Carey at 1st ruck.:p

But this was a good read and shows how strong the SANFL was in those days.

funny that while you all blame Port for ruining the SANFL, when it came to the crunch and the crows were formed, you all couldn't abandon you SANFL clubs quick enough.

funny that while you all blame Port for ruining the SANFL, when it came to the crunch and the crows were formed, you all couldn't abandon you SANFL clubs quick enough.

who ever said Port ruined the SANFL? Port may have acted rather underhandedly and tried yo look after themselves rather than the collective, but the SANFL was dead duck well before that.

Port aren't that important that they can ruin anything ..... they just like to think they are.

Thirdly, the SANFL is a still a successful league in comparison. Its better than the WAFL and its miles better than the VFA/VFL even with all their AFL listed players. It's through no credit to Port fans who all abandoned the Magpies that the SANFL still runs. For an 'abandoned' comp you'd wonder how the GF consistently gets 10K more people than a Port AFL game. The interest is still there, but its now a semi-professional league. It still draws decent crowds, the VFL don't even keep a record of their attendance as its too low.

Stupid comment, I never abandoned my club, I just watched more footy...

I was at the first game against Hawthorn all those years ago, then went to watch the Bays the very next day.

... who are predominantly Crows supporters and/or Centrals fans.

kind of my point. a large expanding area with different dynamics and demographics with the added value of the area further north, Gawler, Barossa etc.

not a heritage suburb or small area like LeFevre. If you are looking to a comparator to the area of Fremantle, it isn't the Port .... it's Elizabeth.

We were in no hurry to join the VFL, we had the player retention scheme running and we were champs of Australia. There were the doubters that painted the doom and gloom picture in SA at the time but I didn't see this as evident and many believed we could have held out for as long as it took for the VFL to drop their contentious 4 million dollar entry conditions.

Champions of Australia? Maybe a few years earlier, but in 89, our VFL and SANFL stars got their arse handed to them by nearly 100 points in front of a full house at the MCG against probably the best Vic side of all time.

The SANFL still had large crowds but really, how long would that have been sustainable? The retention scheme could only do too much and with professionalism only a few years away with big bucks to follow, how many SANFL players would have continued to stay at home and ignore playing in the best competition in the land?

Had things fallen into place we would have joined the VFL under our own terms but we foolishly assumed all clubs in the SANFL were together on this and the VFL would eventually come crawling to us to join their financially troubled league.

I really struggle as to how people can honestly think that the VFL would have crawled on their knees to us, cap in hand and said 'please Mr Basheer and Mr Whicker sirs, we want you in the league and hey, we're willing for you to create your own entry conditions'.

What a stupid comment, I never jumped off Norwood never have. Unlike your supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't think that Fremantle has had it easier than Port in terms of gaining support and building a sustainable football club?

Theres no doubt over the apst 5-6 years theyve managed to probably double their supporter base but it wasnt always the case. Not that long ago that they were probably in a worse condition than Ports been in over the past couple of years with huge debt losing huge money each year and crowd averaged of 20-22k. They worked hard yes, but they have also undeniably been the beneficiary of Perth being the land of disposable income. So yeah, they have had it easier.

Theres no doubt over the apst 5-6 years theyve managed to probably double their supporter base but it wasnt always the case. Not that long ago that they were probably in a worse condition than Ports been in over the past couple of years with huge debt losing huge money each year and crowd averaged of 20-22k. They worked hard yes, but they have also undeniably been the beneficiary of Perth being the land of disposable income. So yeah, they have had it easier.
When they were going badly on field. Which is temporary.

The worry with Port is that a premiership 2004 and a grand final 2007 still hasn't been enough to have any impact on attendances or finances.

yeah because they went from 16th to 5th in the space of 2 years. They were perenially rubbish, never finishing higher than 12. They grew their membership by more than 27% in one year, guess which one?

In 2003 they're average attendance got over 30,000 - it had never got over 26,000 (which was 2002 when they looked to have improved). On the back of that in 2004 they're average home crowd was at 36,000 and they got an extra 7K members (as per the 27% increase).

It had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with disposable income. That is nothing but spin from poor performing Clubs to make them feel good about themselves and its a cop out. 'We can never do what Freo did because everyone earns $120K a year and have nothing to do on weekends but go to the footy because eveything else is full due to their massive population'.

It's all crap.

The SANFL still had large crowds but really, how long would that have been sustainable? The retention scheme could only do too much and with professionalism only a few years away with big bucks to follow, how many SANFL players would have continued to stay at home and ignore playing in the best competition in the land?

The question is really how long the VFL could have sustained insolvent clubs in the early 90's without the SANFL joining. You can only lure players interstate if you can pay them - imagine if St Kilda + Fitzroy + ?? had gone bust and didn't pay any SANFL recruits. Throw in the risk of west coast going bust at the time and the landscape could have been quite different.

No doubt Port's failed attempt (my recollection is that Collingwood voted them down and there was court action of course in SA) forced the SANFL's hand in the end.

As already noted, there had been discussions/approaches to the SANFL and clubs such as Norwood and Port throughout the 80s. A national league was inevitable, the main question was the format -existing clubs or new, big corporate entities. Obvously most of the sides entered since '87 have been the later.

This is one reason why a small proportion of older fans from SA and WA openly despise the "artificial" nature of the AFL. Victorians (except for Fitzroy fans) lost little and got to follow their sides in the big league, while traditionalists in the other states suddenly found their sides playing before small crowds in diminished leagues.

So while some still carry big chips on their shoulders, the majority have moved on and follow an AFL side. Some of us Crow fans will also steadfastly maintain tribal links to our sides in the 133 year old SANFL.

what a brilliant night it was...

the pride of SA on show
and it all clicked

i think i still have the ticket stub somewhere...:)

on the night i can tell you the decision felt right
20 years on i miss the sa/vic rivalry of the origin matches...
the money grabbing afl is crap compared to the old state v state...

money changes everything...
the unfair advantages granted to some teams have biased the comp
to further the AFL brand... :thumbsdown:
it's entertaining but far from a level playing field..
which is what a preimiership race should be...

It seems Port supporters are still very touchy on this subject.
Like I said earlier my intention when I started this thread was not to bag Port Adelaide.

The SANFL and Port were played against each other to achieve what the VFL/AFL required. A fully represented National competition that could be sold to the networks.

I think history will judge all SANFL clubs as responsible for what happened. Was it such a terrible thing that the Port "treachery" lead to the advent of the Adelaide Crows? I'm not suggesting we should honor Port with a medal but instead would it be too much to suggest we acknowledge the past and move on?

Make it our 20th year resolution (look to the future).

Remove this Banner Ad

After 20 years of AFL...Did we make the right choice?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back