After Tippett's Message, May as well trade now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Tippett and Walker are full forwards. Both like to be the centre of attention. Id like to be proven wrong but i just cant see them consistantly kicking multiple goals side by side.

Roughead & Franklin, and Brown & Bradshaw have proved it can work. They just need time to get used to having the other one there.

Only a matter of time before Gold Coast snares Crow Kurt Tippett. Suns confidence high.
web • 7/09/11 10:02 PM

Posted on Twitter by Herald Sun journalist Jay Clark....

Got to get a deal done...to think we payed him all that money!!

Tippett...we payed Tippett all that money...are u serious??

Yes, we paid Tippett money but why is Jay Clark from the Herald Sun saying this: "Got to get a deal done...to think we payed him all that money!" What's that got to do with him?

Edit: Nevermind, just checked out his twitter page.

Certainly I wouldn't want people not to express their thoughts. I just think it's a pity that people blindly accept negative rumours. I understand that it's a case of one bitten, twice shy, but honestly, so few of these rumours have panned out that it's almost embarrassing. It's gotten to the stage where even if there is significant evidence that the rumour is correct I find myself not believing it.
I am not on here all that often and I believe that I dont just jump on some stupid statement made by the media. However Tippet himself, from his mouth, on the video says he wants to go home in the future. The rumour as you like to keep on saying is all about the word "future". When. Maybe its after his playing days but why should the AFC gamble on that.

One thing that influences me into suggesting that we trade Tippet now is that I dont believe he is the saviour our club is looking for. On a good day he can be very good but he just doesnt have too many good days. Yes he can kick goals but he misses so many as well. Everyone says oneonone he will out contest his opponent. I will agree to that as well but which clubs let him contest the ball one on one. In the game against the WCE his rucking was uninspiring. Yes I know it was against Cox and Natinui. But this man is supposed to be our saviour. What a load of rubbish. Tippet is simply a good player who is inconsistent. So yes I am influenced by that and I say lets trade him now. Someone else said on this page that when Tippet plays we dont do so well.

If Tippet was SO GOOD I would be donating money to try and keep him. But he is no Buddy, he is no J Brown, he is not as good as Lynch, or Barry Hall or Cox or Cloke. Walker can do for us what Tippet is suppose to be doing and if you get Day then I think we would be doing well.

Let me ask you this - if Taylor Walker had a twin brother, say, Tyler Walker, would you ask us to trade him too?

There is plenty of room for two quality keys in our team.

As for Tippett wanting to go home at some stage, again, that doesn't mean it's going to be next year, or the ten years after that. We can't read too much into something that would be going through the mind of pretty much every player who is living away from home. Most people living away want to come home eventually. That doesn't mean it'll happen during his football life.

If Tippet was SO GOOD I would be donating money to try and keep him. But he is no Buddy, he is no J Brown, he is not as good as Lynch, or Barry Hall or Cox or Cloke. Walker can do for us what Tippet is suppose to be doing and if you get Day then I think we would be doing well.

I totally agree here. Tippett is a player that needs 15-20 disposals to score 4.4 with at least 1 or 2 of those behinds being sodas. Walker plays the mass goal kicking forward to aplomb. He is still getting better, but even on his off days, still manages 2-3 goals from 10 disposals or so. I'd very much rather Walker at FF, someone like Gunston at CHF whose shown he can take strong contested marks on the lead (or screamers more often like the one against Port doesn't hurt ;)), and can hit up a target. Gunston is also far smarter football wise than Tippett.

That would then leave a spot for McKernan as a pocket player who can clunk a big mark when needed. Wright and Kennedy (hopefully) will be there for the crumbs as well.

I just think without Tippett, we are far more versatile, cleaner, and smarter as as a forward line.

I totally agree here. Tippett is a player that needs 15-20 disposals to score 4.4 with at least 1 or 2 of those behinds being sodas. Walker plays the mass goal kicking forward to aplomb. He is still getting better, but even on his off days, still manages 2-3 goals from 10 disposals or so. I'd very much rather Walker at FF, someone like Gunston at CHF whose shown he can take strong contested marks on the lead (or screamers more often like the one against Port doesn't hurt ;)), and can hit up a target. Gunston is also far smarter football wise than Tippett.

Oh really? I count 19 games out of 45 where he didn't 2 goals.

He's had some real stinkers. Especially the start to his 2010 was very bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh really? I count 19 games out of 45 where he didn't 2 goals.

He's had some real stinkers. Especially the start to his 2010 was very bad.

Haha, didn't see the statistics, didn't think it was that many bad games. But I still stick with my original point that Walker can have more impact on a game from less possessions on an off day. As he gets older and understands how to play AFL footy better, the inconsistencies will fade hopefully and will be a far better player than Tippett could be.

Haha, didn't see the statistics, didn't think it was that many bad games. But I still stick with my original point that Walker can have more impact on a game from less possessions on an off day. As he gets older and understands how to play AFL footy better, the inconsistencies will fade hopefully and will be a far better player than Tippett could be.

I don't disagree with that either. His main two issues are speed (can't be fixed) and leading in a congested forwardline. First one is hard to break. I do like it when he uses his endurance to sweat off his opponent. The catch is though that his best footy is in the forward 50 and he isn't a Cloke/Riewoldt type. Also, i think it has contributed to the perception that he is a lazy tackler. He gives up before he even starts sometimes because he knows he won't chase them down. Second is something he can work on. He loves the big open spaces of Subiaco. But he does has a natural footy brain. If he lifts his eyes more often he'll be fine in time.

I think NC was harsh in the frequency of how often he dropped Walker, but I think the anti-Craig brigade's let their hatred blind them of a fair assessment of Walker.

I think what many are forgetting here is that IF this loophole in Tippett's contract does in fact exist AND that Tippett even wants to leave (obviously not a given as some in the press would have us believe) then Gold Coast hold the upper hand. Remembering that any trade requires 2 willing parties, so regardless of whether the Crows want to trade him or not, Tippett will not move this year because GC would be stupid to agree to it. Why would they trade Day/Gorringe for Tippett now when apparently they can have him at the end of next year for effectively nothing?

My point is, a Tippett trade won't happen this season whether Adelaide want it or not, and what he's done is in fact a very common tactic used by professional athletes all over the world. By leaving the faintest hint that he may return to the Gold Coast one day, he has manufactured interest from another club to increase the potential value of his next contract. This is why you will rarely hear a player say "I am definitely re-signing with my current club" early on in contract negotiations. It takes the power away from the player and does not give them the option to turn around and say "Club X are offering me $50k a season more, match it or I'm leaving" (even if they are only bluffing as is often the case - look at Wayne Rooney's negotiations with Man Utd at the end of last year).

Whilst I agree that Walker is more likely (than Tippett) to hit the scoreboard from limited opportunities, you're kidding yourself if you think this is what happens when he has a bad day.

When he has a bad day, he just doesn't get near it. He might pick up a couple of kicks on the wing, but his personal tally on the scoreboard is almost inevitably donuts.

He's like that little girl from the poem.. when he's good, he's very, very good - but when he's bad, he's rotten.

That's cute. You wouldn't even know about or discuss Taylor's (faux) weaknesses if it wasn't for Neil pointing them out for you by dropping him five times.

Oh yes. And my observations were the same as Craig's.

On the contrary, Walker's deficiencies (and the ones Craig dreamed up for him) have been discussed by fans more than any other player on this forum.

More than players with ten times the deficiencies, and a fraction of the talent.

Why?

And I played no part in stimulating those discussions, as a regular Norwood supporter.

I didn't call for Walker to be dropped, unlike Craig. Again, I advocated a different approach.

You've been on this board for little over a year. Out of your depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

After Tippett's Message, May as well trade now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back