After Tippett's Message, May as well trade now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah there was defiantly smoke. Tippett brought it up because he had it in his contract.
You don't put something like that in your contract if you think you might want to go home in two or three years, you put it in because your already home sick and you would like to go home but you realize you should stay for a couple more years to repay the club and because they seemed like a better premiership option in the short term.

That's one possible interpretation, but far from the only one.

SP - I get we could use dry ice? :D

You don't put something like that in your contract if you think you might want to go home in two or three years, you put it in because your already home sick and you would like to go home but you realize you should stay for a couple more years to repay the club and because they seemed like a better premiership option in the short term.
Or maybe you put it in because you've given up a shedload of cash to stay with your current club, and so you ask them, in return, to at least give you an option that will make it possible for you to choose your landing point if and when you decide to leave in future - for whatever reason, and at whatever age, even late in your career.

Putting such an option in a contract is not a sign that you intend to leave at the end of your current contract. It's just a smart option to have, as I said, in return for what you gave up to stay.

FFS if he was really that homesick, and really wanted the sun and surf all that much, he could have (should have) taken the cash on offer last year. There's no guarantee he'll ever get such an offer again.

PS It is still possible, I believe, to enjoy sun and surf at the age of 38. ;)

That's the thing though, Tippett didn't bring it up. It's been brought up and thrown in his face for the last three years ad nauseum. He was then called on to defend his position, and he did it without bullshitting us, but instead with honesty. He loves the Gold Coast, it's home. He also loves the Adelaide Crows and is not leaving next year. Beyond that, he'll see what happens but he appreciates what the Crows have done for him and he wants to repay them for it.

I think you're inventing smoke, and then claiming there must be a fire.
I am not sure that you are correct. From where I sit the first I had heard that Tippett was "home sick" was when he mentioned it. Now I admit I am in Brisbane and I only get whats on the net and his comment about wanting to return to the gold coast came from his interview. So your comment to me that I am inventing smoke doesnt hold water. You can see from other comments that the smoke has been created by Tippett especially if the "out clause" is correct. I am beginning to wonder what makes you hold the line that Tippett will be around after 2012. Perhaps you are being a little niave! or you simply are living in hope.

I am not sure that you are correct. From where I sit the first I had heard that Tippett was "home sick" was when he mentioned it. Now I admit I am in Brisbane and I only get whats on the net and his comment about wanting to return to the gold coast came from his interview. So your comment to me that I am inventing smoke doesnt hold water. You can see from other comments that the smoke has been created by Tippett especially if the "out clause" is correct. I am beginning to wonder what makes you hold the line that Tippett will be around after 2012. Perhaps you are being a little niave! or you simply are living in hope.

He never mentioned he was homesick! He said he loves his home. That doesn't mean he hates being here. Surely you can see the distinction, and how his comment was a direct response to the calls that he wants to leave. IE, "yes, I love my home, but at the moment I'm looking to play through my current contract, and will consider the next contract when the time comes".

Look at it this way - there was effectively a clause that allowed Tippett to leave last year, for enormous sums of money. Again, we were guaranteed a second round draft pick. But he didn't go. There is no guarantee that he will go, or that he will stay, at the end of next year. The point is, we don't know at the moment. That doesn't mean we should read every refusal to give us a definitive answer as a negative.

Did he not say "i get homesick from time to time"

I'll admit it, I didn't go back and check his comments before my last post :eek: He may well have said that.

My point remains though, he hasn't come out and said "I don't like being at Adelaide, I want to be home". He's said he loves his home, but he also wants to be at the Crows. The two are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Dangerfield said something similar recently, but I have no doubt he'll stick around as well.

He never mentioned he was homesick! He said he loves his home. That doesn't mean he hates being here. Surely you can see the distinction, and how his comment was a direct response to the calls that he wants to leave. IE, "yes, I love my home, but at the moment I'm looking to play through my current contract, and will consider the next contract when the time comes".

Look at it this way - there was effectively a clause that allowed Tippett to leave last year, for enormous sums of money. Again, we were guaranteed a second round draft pick. But he didn't go. There is no guarantee that he will go, or that he will stay, at the end of next year. The point is, we don't know at the moment. That doesn't mean we should read every refusal to give us a definitive answer as a negative.
OK so we all agree to disagree. I read into his comments that he wants to return home and that the surf calls. I understand his wanting to return to the GC. I live in Brissy and I know the lifestyle is more relaxed with plenty to do. Adelaide is my home town and I continue to be torn between living in brissy and returning to Adelaide. So my reading is that Tippett will return to the GC. He will do so before he gets too long in the tooth. He will do it whilst he can command the big bucks. As I said the Suns are screaming for a tall forward. His brother will be in the Suns side on Saturday. So Tippett will do whats good for him and I have no quarms about that. Now Adelaide need to put their thinking cap on as well and ensure they pick the time to get the best they can for him.

Both you and I are reading into the comments what we like. Your a little optimistic and I am a little pessimistic. When it all adds up I believe I am being realistic but niether of us knows for sure.

After reading the Roo's comment about trading Tippet I feel vindicated with my evaluation and suggestion regarding the trading of Tippet. What say you smndstab. Has the Roo's comment helped change your thoughts.

Roo is a journalist now. He's gotta sell papers.

Not saying he's wrong, just saying I'm sceptical.
Reality is that none of us on here really knows. All we can do is read into what we are told or what we heard or read. But from what I have read if its true then we should trade Tippet and get the best we can. We will all be pissed off if at the end of 2012 we lose himanyway for just a 2nd round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After reading the Roo's comment about trading Tippet I feel vindicated with my evaluation and suggestion regarding the trading of Tippet. What say you smndstab. Has the Roo's comment helped change your thoughts.

smndstab... "Salamandar Stab"?? :D

My thoughts haven't changed one bit about Tippett, but I'm becoming more and more disappointed with Ricciuto each day he spends in the media. I shouldn't be surprised - it's what the media is about - but how can Ricciuto make a claim such as Tippett will "inevitably" leave? Why would you dump a bucket on your own player, your own former teammate? (They never played in the Crows side together but they did train together and Roo was captain when Tippett came to the club). It's a disgrace.

Roo wrote an article to sell papers and push forward his career as a journalist, nothing more. I disagree strongly with his suggestion that we should trade Tippett.

smndstab... "Salamandar Stab"?? :D

My thoughts haven't changed one bit about Tippett, but I'm becoming more and more disappointed with Ricciuto each day he spends in the media. I shouldn't be surprised - it's what the media is about - but how can Ricciuto make a claim such as Tippett will "inevitably" leave? Why would you dump a bucket on your own player, your own former teammate? (They never played in the Crows side together but they did train together and Roo was captain when Tippett came to the club). It's a disgrace.

Roo wrote an article to sell papers and push forward his career as a journalist, nothing more. I disagree strongly with his suggestion that we should trade Tippett.
I think that Tippet himself has raised the concern because of his statement. He has created the doubt and others are concerned. All he had to say was that he has a contract and has no intention of leaving. One thing you learn over the years is not to play your hand before its time. So if Tippet says " one day he will return, or that he loves the beach life" then it is something that is on his mind. He is already thinking about it. To me thats a warning it sets off the alarm bells. But you and I agree to disagree and thats fine. Lets see how it plays out.

One thing about the Roo's comments, I think he is more of s straight shooter than most commentators. I like his analysis. What I think lets him down his how he articulates his thoughts but that doesnt mean what he says is crap.

Reality is that none of us on here really knows. All we can do is read into what we are told or what we heard or read. But from what I have read if its true then we should trade Tippet and get the best we can. We will all be pissed off if at the end of 2012 we lose himanyway for just a 2nd round pick.

No, it is not all we can do. We can also chose to ignore it. It will save you a great deal of anxiety and frustration. Chosing to go into a froth every time something like this is written only encourages the peddling of misinformation.

No, it is not all we can do. We can also chose to ignore it. It will save you a great deal of anxiety and frustration. Chosing to go into a froth every time something like this is written only encourages the peddling of misinformation.
That is also difficult. How do you stop people from expressing their thoughts when they are passionate about the game or the team. Are you suggesting that we ignore our thoughts rather than express them. The peddlers are those high profile members of the media who place this information in front of us. My little opinion wont effect anyone but if it helps me let off steam then why should I shut up. Isnt this what this site is all about.....people letting off steam by expressing their opinions.

That is also difficult. How do you stop people from expressing their thoughts when they are passionate about the game or the team. Are you suggesting that we ignore our thoughts rather than express them. The peddlers are those high profile members of the media who place this misinformation in front of us. My little opinion wont effect anyone but if it helps me let off steam then why should I shut up. Isnt this what this site is all about.....people letting off steam by expressing their opinions.
EFA :thumbsu:

Yeah, but being passionate and having an opinion is not the same thing as blindly swallowing every rumour that footy "journalists" beat up out of nothing.

Thes people (the footy media) have a massive track record of getting it wrong, and/or beating up the slightest rumour, or misquoting ot quoting out of context etc - and yet, the footy public just keeps on falling for it.

"Where there's smoke there's fire"
"Why would Caro say it if it wasn't true?"
"My mail is..."

and so on.

Certainly I wouldn't want people not to express their thoughts. I just think it's a pity that people blindly accept negative rumours. I understand that it's a case of one bitten, twice shy, but honestly, so few of these rumours have panned out that it's almost embarrassing. It's gotten to the stage where even if there is significant evidence that the rumour is correct I find myself not believing it.

My opinion is that our team seems to play better with Tippett not in the side. The rational thing for me then is to suggest we trade him for his value. These rumours about GC are meaningless when considering thats where he was from and thats where we would likely trade him to anyway. Hence i would ask for Day as a direct swap and be done with it. Another idea might be to trade him to GWS and get omeara and then they trade tippett to the GC for gorringe and their second rounder or something along those lines.

My opinion is that our team seems to play better with Tippett not in the side. The rational thing for me then is to suggest we trade him for his value. These rumours about GC are meaningless when considering thats where he was from and thats where we would likely trade him to anyway. Hence i would ask for Day as a direct swap and be done with it. Another idea might be to trade him to GWS and get omeara and then they trade tippett to the GC for gorringe and their second rounder or something along those lines.

Or alternatively, get our structures and game plan right to take full advantage of his talent.

Both Tippett and Walker are full forwards. Both like to be the centre of attention. Id like to be proven wrong but i just cant see them consistantly kicking multiple goals side by side.
Walker, Lead up natrual forward capible of kicking them from anywhere.

Tip, able to beat any defender 1v1 and a great pack mark player.

They compliment each other and it should be down to how the game is playing out.

Do we need an easy out to kick to and contest? Tip at CHF roaming around and try to isolate Walker 1v1.

If the game is more free flowing get Walker out at CHF with space and time to boot them from 50 with Tip playing closer to goal as the 2nd option.

Remove this Banner Ad

After Tippett's Message, May as well trade now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back