After Tippett's Message, May as well trade now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Earlier this year and then throughout the year there have been posts about trading Tippett. Surely these comments come about because Tippett asnt delivered the goods. The talk was that he could kick straight. I know I said he wasnt strong enough and that he needed to build more body strength. For a gun forward Tippett still has not delivered and even if we excuse him by blaming our delivery into the forward line he still has not delivered. Now with the gloom of his wanting to return to the sunshine state is it any wonder why supporters get edgy and call for him to be traded. I dont know what the guy will do but there comes a time when a calculated decision may need to be made and the timing of that decision should be done when it best suits the AFC. The timing will revolve around when we can get the most for him. Right now the Suns are screaming for a tall forward. Is the best time at the end of this season. WHo could we get. I reckon Sam Day would be one person and I am sure there is another we could get. Maybe Seb Tape. However, I am not sure that they fill our needs in the middle and half back area. The point I want to make though is Tippett delivering. Has he ever delivered consistently. For a GUN forward I dont believe so. Tippett is a player that has given us nothing more than potential and I believe that is what he still offers...potential. But when will the AFC actually realise the benefit of that potential.

I would let him go to BRISBANE with a 3rd round draft pick for

REDDEN and BANFIELD :D

Why not just Tippett for Redden? Seems fair to me.

Homesick Queenslander for SA lad.

They get the forward they need to replace the ageing Jonathan Brown and wantaway Mitch Clark.

We get the gun midfielder we need.

Let's get this thing done!

No!

He's still one of the most feared players by the opposition in our team by a country mile. Our problem has been the inability to capitalize on the 2 free forwards we have when he is up against 3 defenders.

I want to see him next season under our new coach and hopefully a more effective forward line.

Earlier this year and then throughout the year there have been posts about trading Tippett. Surely these comments come about because Tippett asnt delivered the goods. The talk was that he could kick straight. I know I said he wasnt strong enough and that he needed to build more body strength. For a gun forward Tippett still has not delivered and even if we excuse him by blaming our delivery into the forward line he still has not delivered. Now with the gloom of his wanting to return to the sunshine state is it any wonder why supporters get edgy and call for him to be traded. I dont know what the guy will do but there comes a time when a calculated decision may need to be made and the timing of that decision should be done when it best suits the AFC. The timing will revolve around when we can get the most for him. Right now the Suns are screaming for a tall forward. Is the best time at the end of this season. WHo could we get. I reckon Sam Day would be one person and I am sure there is another we could get. Maybe Seb Tape. However, I am not sure that they fill our needs in the middle and half back area. The point I want to make though is Tippett delivering. Has he ever delivered consistently. For a GUN forward I dont believe so. Tippett is a player that has given us nothing more than potential and I believe that is what he still offers...potential. But when will the AFC actually realise the benefit of that potential.

Surely slotting 50+ goals in his second season counts as offering us more than potential? Then following that up with a 40+ goal season in a year where our midfield went to complete crap, surely that counts as consistency?

No!

He's still one of the most feared players by the opposition in our team by a country mile. Our problem has been the inability to capitalize on the 2 free forwards we have when he is up against 3 defenders.

I want to see him next season under our new coach and hopefully a more effective forward line.

...and hopefully a more effective midfield

And what would we get if we traded for Seb Tape or Sam Day? Potential?

Why not just Tippett for Redden? Seems fair to me.
Homesick Queenslander for SA lad.

They get the forward they need to replace the ageing Jonathan Brown and wantaway Mitch Clark.

We get the gun midfielder we need.

Let's get this thing done!

Would do that trade in a heartbeat. I don't really see how the bizarre Tippett message is meant to re-assure supporters. And if we did promise to trade him for only a 2nd and 3rd rounder then the AFC administration are even more meeker and incompetent than I thought.

Too be honest, I don't see how we can play Tippet and Walker in the same forward line. They both need to be played at the goal front and for me Walker is the better long term FF option. That leaves Tippett as a ruckman/pinch hitting forward. Normally you would keep him on the list to play this role but given his exceptional salary you can't afford to have a ruckman/forward as your highest paid player unless they are exceptional at both positions. The sort of money we are paying Tippett should only be paid to either a brilliant, gun forward or a top tier (top 10 in the competition) midfielder.

Tippett must be traded this year IMO. His value will never be higher.

Costs us way to much money, hasn't really shown too much. And is a dumb footballer hes not a natural.
Would rather spend money on keeping Vince Knights Walker etc.

Get Tippet out for Redden or Polec from the Bears

I hope we don't trade him.

I can't wait to see what our forward entries will be like with a different game plan in place. If the new coach can get the Tippet and Tex combination working with new ideas, they are going to run riot.

I've changed my mind.

We should not play him ever again, nor trade him. Make him exerciise that clause next season. Make him find his motovation to stay in shape.

I've changed my mind.

We should not play him ever again, nor trade him. Make him exerciise that clause next season. Make him find his motovation to stay in shape.

I suppose you were also one of the people calling for us to drop him to the SANFL when it was reported that he had already agreed to sign with GC17 at the end of 2010?

Honestly, be serious mate. Why would we mistreat a player that we're paying top dollar for, gain literally nothing from his services, and piss him off so badly he's guaranteed to leave, for the simple crime of negotiating a good contract? He hasn't stated he wants to leave at the end of next year, that's just your assumption. The Crows are not going to drop him on a ridiculous assumption.

Honestly, be serious mate. Why would we mistreat a player that we're paying top dollar for, gain literally nothing from his services, and piss him off so badly he's guaranteed to leave, for the simple crime of negotiating a good contract? He hasn't stated he wants to leave at the end of next year, that's just your assumption. The Crows are not going to drop him on a ridiculous assumption.

The guys on really really good money, but that clause (if true) is sought of like a double whammy. His contract should be significantly less with a get out clause like that. People say he's way over payed now......

The club will know if he's going the moment we try and get him to extend his contract, my point is if he is going we should cease the development of a rival corporations asset as soon as we can. He is not going to win us a flag next year, in fact he's just going to leave a big hole if he goes.

I like the guy, I like his attitude, I like his endevour, in fact i'm concerened he'll end up with a broken leg or knee from going after the ball on the ground in packs the way he does.....I don't blame him for wanting to go home, but

If next year is all about developing him for Gold coast............:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hypothetically.....

If Mitch Clark from Brisbane goes to GWS as expected....
And Brisbane get a similar pick as we get for Davis. Prob tier 2.
I would be pretty happy to get that pick for Tippett. That would give us 3 first round picks in a row for next season in a bumper draft.....
Would seriously be hoping we tank then:thumbsu:

Come 2nd to bottom and end up with pick 2,3,4...?? Is that how it would work

Hypothetically.....

If Mitch Clark from Brisbane goes to GWS as expected....
And Brisbane get a similar pick as we get for Davis. Prob tier 2.
I would be pretty happy to get that pick for Tippett. That would give us 3 first round picks in a row for next season in a bumper draft.....
Would seriously be hoping we tank then:thumbsu:

Come 2nd to bottom and end up with pick 2,3,4...?? Is that how it would work

Brisbane's tier two is locked to their pick position, so we'd have our two picks, and one that followed Brisbane's pick.

And what would we get if we traded for Seb Tape or Sam Day? Potential?
Reality is that Tippett wants to leave. His heart is back up north. I have no problems with that. What I am saying is that if he wants to go then let him. If we accept that then what can we get for him. Well if he leaves perhaps Day might replace him as an understudy to say Tex. As for taking Tape it was a point of getting someone for our future in the HB line. Again I am not precious about Tape. He hasnt set the house on fire but given the inexperienced Suns team he has shown committtment. Alternatively you could go with the Redden exchange. I just feel that Tippett is wanting to go, we still have Tex (fingers crossed) and we should be looking to maximise what we can get for Tippett. Now if Tippett had indicated that he was happy at the Crows and wasnt home sick and didnt miss the surf and beach bum life then I wouldn't be considering trading him.

Surely slotting 50+ goals in his second season counts as offering us more than potential? Then following that up with a 40+ goal season in a year where our midfield went to complete crap, surely that counts as consistency?
If you are happy with the past two years then thats fine but all I have heard on this site is people either want to trade him, annoyed at him because his of his lack of accuracy at goals, he cant manage the attention he gets, now we want him in the ruck or up the field. I dont believe that Tippett will give us much improvement on what he has already given us. How many times have you pulled your hair out at the shots he has missed that a half decent FF should slot through. God its hard enough for the AFC to kick goals in the first place let alone our FF missing shots that he should get. He is not reliable. He is too inconsistent. But as I said if you are happy with his last two years then fine defend him.

If you are happy with the past two years then thats fine but all I have heard on this site is people either want to trade him, annoyed at him because his of his lack of accuracy at goals, he cant manage the attention he gets, now we want him in the ruck or up the field. I dont believe that Tippett will give us much improvement on what he has already given us. How many times have you pulled your hair out at the shots he has missed that a half decent FF should slot through. God its hard enough for the AFC to kick goals in the first place let alone our FF missing shots that he should get. He is not reliable. He is too inconsistent. But as I said if you are happy with his last two years then fine defend him.

I'm not happy with his output this year at all, but then I could say that about a good 40 Crows players :eek: I judge forwards less harshly in poor years than I do the rest of the squad, however, because their output is directly correlated to the output of the other players downfield. Last year he kicked 46 goals which was a great effort when you consider how poorly our midfield performed.

Yes, his lack of accuracy is a concern, however just this year he was displaying some big steps forward in that regard. In the end, I'd much rather we have a big forward converting at slightly below league average from simple positions, than not have the big forward at all.

I've been pulling my hair out for years over calls to have him play in the ruck, or further down the ground. If I had my way, Kurt Tippett would never play ruck again for the remainder of his career, other than when our other ruckmen go down injured. For mine, he starts in the goal square every centre bounce, alongside Walker. Once our midfielders learn to honour a lead rather than spending five minutes setting the ball up and then opting to bomb long, he'll be an extremely potent weapon.

As for your comment about him wanting to leave, he wants to go home eventually. That does not mean he wants to leave the Crows during his playing career.

Dangerfield hates getting on the plane and flying away from his home as well, doesn't mean he hates being at the Crows. People need to stop reading too much into comments. I know we've been burned before, but let's not tie the noose until there is something actually there to be upset about.

I'm not happy with his output this year at all, but then I could say that about a good 40 Crows players :eek: I judge forwards less harshly in poor years than I do the rest of the squad, however, because their output is directly correlated to the output of the other players downfield. Last year he kicked 46 goals which was a great effort when you consider how poorly our midfield performed.

Yes, his lack of accuracy is a concern, however just this year he was displaying some big steps forward in that regard. In the end, I'd much rather we have a big forward converting at slightly below league average from simple positions, than not have the big forward at all.

I've been pulling my hair out for years over calls to have him play in the ruck, or further down the ground. If I had my way, Kurt Tippett would never play ruck again for the remainder of his career, other than when our other ruckmen go down injured. For mine, he starts in the goal square every centre bounce, alongside Walker. Once our midfielders learn to honour a lead rather than spending five minutes setting the ball up and then opting to bomb long, he'll be an extremely potent weapon.

As for your comment about him wanting to leave, he wants to go home eventually. That does not mean he wants to leave the Crows during his playing career.

Dangerfield hates getting on the plane and flying away from his home as well, doesn't mean he hates being at the Crows. People need to stop reading too much into comments. I know we've been burned before, but let's not tie the noose until there is something actually there to be upset about.
I take your points on board but I also have been burnt in my working environment because I didnt listen to what people were really saying. If Tippett was truly content he wouldn't have bought it up. The fact that he has expressed it strongly suggests its there in the back of his mind. I understand that you can get burnt by peoples comments but this is a comment from the horses mouth. You and I will not determine what happens but lets meet at the end of 2012 (if he hasnt been traded ) and then you can stick it up me or visa versa.

I take your points on board but I also have been burnt in my working environment because I didnt listen to what people were really saying. If Tippett was truly content he wouldn't have bought it up. The fact that he has expressed it strongly suggests its there in the back of his mind. I understand that you can get burnt by peoples comments but this is a comment from the horses mouth. You and I will not determine what happens but lets meet at the end of 2012 (if he hasnt been traded ) and then you can stick it up me or visa versa.

That's the thing though, Tippett didn't bring it up. It's been brought up and thrown in his face for the last three years ad nauseum. He was then called on to defend his position, and he did it without bullshitting us, but instead with honesty. He loves the Gold Coast, it's home. He also loves the Adelaide Crows and is not leaving next year. Beyond that, he'll see what happens but he appreciates what the Crows have done for him and he wants to repay them for it.

I think you're inventing smoke, and then claiming there must be a fire.

That's the thing though, Tippett didn't bring it up. It's been brought up and thrown in his face for the last three years ad nauseum. He was then called on to defend his position, and he did it without bullshitting us, but instead with honesty. He loves the Gold Coast, it's home. He also loves the Adelaide Crows and is not leaving next year. Beyond that, he'll see what happens but he appreciates what the Crows have done for him and he wants to repay them for it.

I think you're inventing smoke, and then claiming there must be a fire.

Nah there was defiantly smoke. Tippett brought it up because he had it in his contract.
You don't put something like that in your contract if you think you might want to go home in two or three years, you put it in because your already home sick and you would like to go home but you realize you should stay for a couple more years to repay the club and because they seemed like a better premiership option in the short term.

Nah there was defiantly smoke. Tippett brought it up because he had it in his contract.
You don't put something like that in your contract if you think you might want to go home in two or three years, you put it in because your already home sick and you would like to go home but you realize you should stay for a couple more years to repay the club and because they seemed like a better premiership option in the short term.

This is dead right.

I was thinking this morning about how aggressive the club was when we went after Wayne Carey in 2002. Then I got to thinking, when was the last time we tried to lure/poach a gun from another club, and if so, who could we get, who would we get? I'm talking a genuine established gun, a top 10 or 20 player, not a 19yo with potential.

Tippett might be the key that helps us unlock that trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

After Tippett's Message, May as well trade now...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back