Ahmed Saad's ban for energy drink on match day

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-29/banned-vfl-player-queries-saad-punishment

What a nasty attitude to have. You'd think that he'd be happy for Saad that he wasn't punished as harshly. If he thinks that he was unfairly treated, he should be happy to see that the same isn't happening anymore, rather than wanting to drag everyone down with him.

The consensus actually seems to be Saads penalty is fair, maybe even slightly on the harsh side. Clark appears to be just trying to get his name in the papers, they won't reduce your penalty, so why would you want someone else to suffer just as badly as you have? Seems a very poor attitude.

An understandable reaction if not very nice. He feels he was treated justly and it rubs slat into his wounds when somebody else is not treated as unjustly. So he is not a Saint. Not many people have the moral fortitude to be a Saint.

Saad did not get a slap on the wrist - it's not as if he got 9 months like Clark originally did.

Plus he lost a heck of a lot more earnings - both current and future. A financial penalty is still a penalty.

If someone goes to court for an offence, do they get to pick what penalty they want? They can raise precedents, but it should be determined on its own set of circumstances. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the substance that Clark took was banned. Full stop (not just on game day as with Saad).

Unless the penalty is manifestly unjust - is anyone else suggesting that is the case? - people need to stick to their own knitting i.e. he can keep complaining about his own treatment, but don't do it by childishly looking to drag others down.

A lot of the "Poor Bugger Me" about Clarks complaint.

Different case, different circumstances, different punishment.

We're all details of their cases the same? Sports drink/shake? Did they both plead guilty? Did they provide the same level of cooperation? Do they look at the wider character of a person to gauge the level of possible guilt? Saad's never had an alcoholic beverage in his life. That most likely helps his case that it was completely unwitting.

Saad told SEN this evening that he has taken this stuff before on Gameday but never tested. He admits to never checking to see if he could take it. How stupid could an elite sportsman be.

I think Saady may have just guaranteed that ASADA will appeal the leniency of the ban.

Silly boy, he just needed to say it was a one off or refuse to talk about use of the drink other than on the one occasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I think Saady may have just guaranteed that ASADA will appeal the leniency of the ban.

Silly boy, he just needed to say it was a one off or refuse to talk about use of the drink other than on the one occasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

he'll be fine. sounds like he'll be an asada ambassador to educate people in lower leagues. that'll buy him some serious brownie points

Saad told SEN this evening that he has taken this stuff before on Gameday but never tested. He admits to never checking to see if he could take it. How stupid could an elite sportsman be.
Boggles the mind. I am just speechless.

Anywho, welcome to the board mate.

In Saad's defence, they were given to him by a sponsor. They may have been the ones that gave him the drinks, and told him when to take them. You'd think that they would know if there were any banned substances in them, and that they wouldn't suggest Saad take anything that could put him at risk.

Hmm, I suspect that anything he said was in consultation with everybody, including ASADA at this point. If his claim is ignorance, the fact that he's honest to say he'd been ignorantly making the mistake for a while actually further proves it. I think this is all part of him taking up the ambassador role.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Saad-admits-multiple-supplement-breaches/62827

In a disastrous error of judgment, Saad said he never felt the urge to check whether 'Before Battle' was permitted on game day as he had been provided with it by someone he trusted.
"[It] was someone that was kind of like a mentor and a family member," Saad said.
"I had that much trust with him, it was as if the coach had given me that product. I was taking it exactly as if the club had told me to.
"He actually didn't check if it was banned or not, and I didn't either because coming from him was like coming from the coach, so it was quite surprising for both of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm, I suspect that anything he said was in consultation with everybody, including ASADA at this point. If his claim is ignorance, the fact that he's honest to say he'd been ignorantly making the mistake for a while actually further proves it. I think this is all part of him taking up the ambassador role.

Any type of spin doctoring to get oneself out of trouble always sounds a bit dodgey.
Take this bloke for example
"i did not have sexual relations with that woman!!"
Errr i didnt say i didnt have sex with her. It just was wasnt a RELATIONSHIP :rolleyes::p

The Saad thing stinks like a rotten fish head because
1..The AFL having a substance you can take during the week but NOT on gameday is f-ing ridiculous . Its just a stupid rule that is far to easy for somebody to trip up on.
If you cant have it in your system on matchday then it should be banned FULL STOP.
2..The whole Essendon Saga wich ended up with all the players ( even Pin Cushion Watson) looking likely to get off scott free absolutely STINKS!!!!!
Whats worse for the AFLs image. Somebody having a performance drink on the wrong day, or Watson admitting he had numerous injections of a banned substance???
To be honest i dont have a problem with Saad being rubbed out. The way the rules are set up are stupid, but he still broke them.
But i do have a MASSIVE problem with Watson getting off for something much much worse:mad:

This is pretty much right. The tribunal would have been told all of this and would have weighed it in their decision.

Given the original story was that he had no idea why he tested postitive and the club doctor had him recall his normal match day activities. A light bulb going off for the club doctor when this stuff was mentioned. This was always likely to be the case.

Whilst I'm sure the players are given education to not take any supplements without consulting the team doctor, I can't see why anyone would consider an appeal when he got 18 months for a substance which is legal 6 days of the week.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...ug-ban-but-vows-to-return-20131203-2yo7s.html

"It was tough at the time, but I had the club's support. 'Scotty' was very supportive from day one, and one of the main reasons I got through this."

Saad's lawyer, William Sheehan, who was present during the interview, said the player's legal team had negotiated down from the maximum possible penalty of a two-year suspension.

It is believed it is unlikely (that ASADA will) pursue a tougher penalty.

Saad ... is eligible for the 2014 AFL draft, and Sheehan said a new World Anti-Doping Agency code, to be introduced at the start of 2015, would allow suspended athletes to train in the final two months of their suspensions.

"I was glad he [Watters] gave me that opportunity (to play against Brisbane)," Saad said. "And it kind of showed the public that the club was supporting me no matter what was going on. We did everything within rules, we didn't step out of the boundaries."

‘‘They’re open to the thought of picking me back up,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s all up to me to make sure I’m fit and I’ve trained and worked hard and in reasonable shape, and hopefully that’s something that they do take into consideration."

He said had taken a training course about drugs in sport, and hoped to use that knowledge to educate other AFL players about the dangers of taking supplements without checking their legality. ‘‘If I can help one or two others to not go through what I did, that’s enough for me, and that will come down to a personal choice. It’s not part of my rehab process or the AFL has told me to do something."

Any type of spin doctoring to get oneself out of trouble always sounds a bit dodgey.
To be honest i dont have a problem with Saad being rubbed out. The way the rules are set up are stupid, but he still broke them.

It doesn't really matter that much. He was given a ban based on the facts; what he said in interview is very likely not something that wasn't discussed at tribunal.
And for those suggesting it; he is not going to be in constant communication with ASADA. They look on from afar, review the file, and would request an interview with him if they wanted one. They will have broken the original news to him, then sat back and referred to the AFL as his athlete license-holder. I suspect he'll have had comms through a lawyer, probably in advance of the tribunal, but that's it. And he'll be hoping that's it, as this is a "no news-good news" situation.

1..The AFL having a substance you can take during the week but NOT on gameday is f-ing ridiculous . Its just a stupid rule that is far to easy for somebody to trip up on.
If you cant have it in your system on matchday then it should be banned FULL STOP.

Not an AFL rule. Substances all have differing levels of classification under WADA. Beta blockers for example, aren't banned most of the time but if you were in a shooting competition they would help your concentration so would be performance-enhancing. Hell if you take enough cold remedy you get a boost off the phenyl and caffeine, but nobody's going to stop you taking that during your offseason; on game-day, it's not clever.
I think I have participated in sport, in semi-pro and amateur level, I think either 3 or 4 times whilst breaking WADA guidelines on substance use. Read the list; it's surprisingly easy to do.

2..The whole Essendon Saga wich ended up with all the players ( even Pin Cushion Watson) looking likely to get off scott free absolutely STINKS!!!!!
Whats worse for the AFLs image. Somebody having a performance drink on the wrong day, or Watson admitting he had numerous injections of a banned substance???
But i do have a MASSIVE problem with Watson getting off for something much much worse:mad:

Again not AFL; no doubt they want to protect the integrity of their competition in 2014, and the players association will say their men were victims. This happens within sports teams, more often to be honest at international tours or competitions. I've travelled abroad both with a club and national team, and when there you eat, sleep and shit whatever and whenever you're told. You don't get menu options, and there's no 7Eleven, you grab one of the 24 bottles as you finish the running drills and head to the ball skill drills and you presume if it tastes like water then it's water and if it takes like someone smashed an orange through a sweaty vest then it's gatorade and before you get a chance to think any more there's a coach yelling at you. Athletes have been getting vitamin injections and antibiotics they don't need and minor asthma assistance for an ailment they don't have, for years and still are, across the world, cos it's actually technically legal and there are teams in every sport who will take that step. If the Doc sticks something on top into the injection, you might never know. Even if you did know, what you going to do - walk out? Quit the sport? Name me the cyclist who should have actually won the 2003 Tour De France. I think it was the guy in 17th if I remember right, cos everyone else has been involved in some kind of shady work at some point, and other than hardcore cycling fans, nobody knows who the hell he is.
I think what Essendon did is disgraceful and the club should be given a form of death penalty. They should have been forced to sit out finals for 2 seasons, draft for 3, and trade out any player who wants out. **** 'em - that was institutional cheating. I think the players do actually deserve some leniency.

It doesn't really matter that much. He was given a ban based on the facts; what he said in interview is very likely not something that wasn't discussed at tribunal.
And for those suggesting it; he is not going to be in constant communication with ASADA. They look on from afar, review the file, and would request an interview with him if they wanted one. They will have broken the original news to him, then sat back and referred to the AFL as his athlete license-holder. I suspect he'll have had comms through a lawyer, probably in advance of the tribunal, but that's it. And he'll be hoping that's it, as this is a "no news-good news" situation.

Not an AFL rule. Substances all have differing levels of classification under WADA. Beta blockers for example, aren't banned most of the time but if you were in a shooting competition they would help your concentration so would be performance-enhancing. Hell if you take enough cold remedy you get a boost off the phenyl and caffeine, but nobody's going to stop you taking that during your offseason; on game-day, it's not clever.
I think I have participated in sport, in semi-pro and amateur level, I think either 3 or 4 times whilst breaking WADA guidelines on substance use. Read the list; it's surprisingly easy to do.

Again not AFL; no doubt they want to protect the integrity of their competition in 2014, and the players association will say their men were victims. This happens within sports teams, more often to be honest at international tours or competitions. I've travelled abroad both with a club and national team, and when there you eat, sleep and shit whatever and whenever you're told. You don't get menu options, and there's no 7Eleven, you grab one of the 24 bottles as you finish the running drills and head to the ball skill drills and you presume if it tastes like water then it's water and if it takes like someone smashed an orange through a sweaty vest then it's gatorade and before you get a chance to think any more there's a coach yelling at you. Athletes have been getting vitamin injections and antibiotics they don't need and minor asthma assistance for an ailment they don't have, for years and still are, across the world, cos it's actually technically legal and there are teams in every sport who will take that step. If the Doc sticks something on top into the injection, you might never know. Even if you did know, what you going to do - walk out? Quit the sport? Name me the cyclist who should have actually won the 2003 Tour De France. I think it was the guy in 17th if I remember right, cos everyone else has been involved in some kind of shady work at some point, and other than hardcore cycling fans, nobody knows who the hell he is.
I think what Essendon did is disgraceful and the club should be given a form of death penalty. They should have been forced to sit out finals for 2 seasons, draft for 3, and trade out any player who wants out. **** 'em - that was institutional cheating. I think the players do actually deserve some leniency.

:D LOL :D
Thank You for picking out the major points in my post and telling me they were all wrong :p:p
I think most people here know ive got no idea what im talking about, but you didnt have to make it so official :p

:D LOL :D
Thank You for picking out the major points in my post and telling me they were all wrong :p:p
I think most people here know ive got no idea what im talking about, but you didnt have to make it so official :p

Ha, nothing personal Q-Train!
I've just been in the environment where I was subject to testing, and with club and national team where they organise everything for you. Unlike Saad though, I actually paid attention!
I was the player rep to the club committee for a year and a half so I felt it my duty to know how stuff worked, and let the players know. And there was also a case here in Scotland of an amateur player being banned for I think what was traced as a flu remedy he took legitimately.
The first club I was at, was guilty of doing what the VFL player who was banned described (basically that there's an anti-doping video stuck on in the changing room whilst you're getting changed for a preseason game). Loads of players don't know what they're doing. I've met two other athletes though (one high-profile in UK) who admitted that they knew they were cheating but even then didn't know exactly how or the details; they just got rough instructions for use, and got on with it. Athletes on the whole are seriously naive.

No surprise but ASADA are appealing Saad's suspension, odds on he will now cop full 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahmed Saad's ban for energy drink on match day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back