Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I understand and to a point I agree in as much as I detest the terms virtue signalling and woke . I think the huddle program is not only a good social program but does have benefits in entrenching the club in the community and Sonja is the big wheel in that.

However, your just never going to get satisfaction from arguing with if whether you are right or wrong.

Enjoy today, be proud of Sonja. Don’t miss the moment arguing.
Will you shut up. Keep it coming Chad. Everything is coming up Clarko.

Oh and I am adopting West Ham's #wearemassive for us now.

Alastair Clarkson to coach North Melbourne: How North Melbourne landed footy’s biggest fish​

Many doubted president Sonja Hood, but she was crucial in snaring Alastair Clarkson as North Melbourne coach. And some big names played a part.

Glenn McFarlane, Jay Clark and Mark Robinson

9 min read
August 19, 2022 - 6:55PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroo

The persuasive powers of a first-year president who relished a ‘crash course’ in getting to know Alastair Clarkson and the input of the Brayshaw brothers helped North Melbourne seal its biggest coaching appointment since landing Ron Barassi almost 50 years ago.

As a wave of optimism swept across Arden St to wash away a tumultuous season, president Sonja Hood could barely wipe a smile off her face as she announced Clarkson as the club’s new coach.

Just 39 days earlier, she had sat alongside outgoing coach David Noble at his farewell press conference, with the critics questioning the future direction of the club.

It came as a few powerbrokers and prominent supporters privately and publicly called for change. Some called on Hood to step aside.

Sonja Hood was grinning from ear to ear when she announced Alastair Clarkson’s appointment. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

Sonja Hood was grinning from ear to ear when she announced Alastair Clarkson’s appointment. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

But those close to the club’s first female president – who only officially took over the role five months ago – knew she was in for the fight.

She was determined to secure Clarkson.
Now, after a decade of the Kangaroos missing out on some of the game’s biggest names, the club has landed AFL coaching’s most in-demand man.

Hood took one of the most welcome phone calls of her professional life from Clarkson’s manager James Henderson at 8.30pm on Thursday night.

“I’ve watched footy for long enough to know you are never confident until the final siren sounds,” Hood said

“But the (Henderson) call was very welcome when it came.

“I was delighted and relieved.”

Hood refused to be distracted, even when Essendon launched a late, botched and ‘unsavoury’ effort to prise Clarkson away from the Kangaroos just days before a deal looked a formality.

“I am not going to talk about another club,” she said.

“Someone said to me that the problem with having a Plan B is that it distracts you from a Plan A, and we were really focused on Plan A.”

Key North Melbourne people maintain Hood’s “fingerprints” were all over the appointment, saying she worked tirelessly to make it happen.

The Brayshaw brothers – Mark and James – also played their part, helping to open up the avenue of discussion with 54-year-old Clarkson.
James Brayshaw played a role in the appointment. Picture: AAP Image/Scott Barbour

James Brayshaw played a role in the appointment. Picture: AAP Image/Scott Barbour

Mark is a former Kangaroos teammate of Clarkson’s and a close friend, while James is a former North Melbourne president, who helped to repel an AFL push to send the club to the Gold Coast 15 years ago.

Hood was a key part of that fight as a passionate supporter of the club.

While Mark Brayshaw played down his role, he said Hood’s ability to develop a close rapport with Clarkson had been a telling factor in the former Hawthorn coach choosing the Kangaroos over Essendon.

“It is a great day for the club, but it is also a signature day for our new president,” Mark Brayshaw told the Herald Sun.

“Her fingerprints are all over this. She should be very proud of what she has been able to pull off. She has done the heavy lifting with this. The club is in very good hands.”

James Brayshaw said on Triple M: “Sonja Hood has single-handedly landed the biggest Marlin in the game.”

For Hood, who is CEO of Community Hubs Australia, the end of her month-long mission was more about relief than anything else.

Clarkson will now coach the Kangaroos until the end of the 2027 season. The deal, which could be worth as much as $1.1 million per season, would already appear to be good value-for-money, given the delight of North Melbourne fans and the likely impact it could have on player retention and acquisition.

Hood hugs Clarkson after the announcement. Picture: Twitter/North Melbourne FC

Hood hugs Clarkson after the announcement. Picture: Twitter/North Melbourne FC

Clarkson and Hood met on a number of occasions, but it is understood their first meeting a month ago was critical in establishing a connection, particularly around shared values and a belief in how footy clubs can play an important and inclusive role in the community.

The chat was over a few cups of tea at Hood’s house and lasted more than two hours.
“I nearly died when I looked at the clock and realised how long I had been sitting there, because it passed in a couple of minutes,” she said on Triple M.

“We spoke about all kinds of things – his upbringing, my upbringing, formative experiences in his life, different things he had done at Hawthorn, but not specifically about footy.”

Clarkson doesn’t officially start in the role until November 1, but he wasted no time chatting to the players after his press conference.
He spoke of how he could understand some of the frustration players such as No. 1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis have displayed this year as they are eager to succeed.

He said he hadn’t really spoken to a few assistant coaches who might join him at Arden St.

Onlookers saw one familiar face turn up to the club after the press conference in Todd Viney, who worked under Clarkson at Hawthorn and who is tipped to play a role next year.

Hood has invited Clarkson to the Kangaroos’ final match of 2022 on Saturday – when they take on Gold Coast at Marvel Stadium.

But he is keen to avoid a ‘circus’ and might yet watch it from his farm on the Mornington Peninsula, as he looks forward to 2023.

The AFL loves its theatre, so what are the chances next year’s fixture has a Round 1 clash against Hawthorn – or even Essendon – in store?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Faultless week from our wonderful club.

From our leakless silence from Mon-Wed when * came at us but imploded. To Sonja at the AFLW launch who gave away enough, but nothing. And the classy presser from Clarko & Sonja this afternoon. Let's hope it's capped off with a spoon-avoiding win tomorrow.

Heap of work to be done. But so pumped. We have the right President. Now the right coach. Clarko brings a level of credibility we haven't had in ages. Hopefully, he convinces JHF and Bull to stay. And attracts some talent from elsewhere. And brings an elite off field staff.

Oh, and whilst the club were classy today....I don't have to be.

SUCK SHIT ESSENDUMB SCUM!!! YOU ARE A RABBLE.

Sonja's doing. She's brought him back into the fold.
The off field becomes more and more important it seems
Don't know much but from what I've seen your President is pretty impressive

Measured, strong and sensible

Might end up being just as important as your new coach

Well, if there is a day for being effusive, today’s the day. Drink up!

Personally, this news has barely impacted me. It does, however, incline me to implement recommendation #2 of ‘The Walsh Review’. To shut up and continue to buy an overseas membership.
You left WA? Big moves all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back