Toast All Australian Lions 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

vic_LION

All Australian
Jun 6, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Congratulations Harris Andrews, Joe Daniher, Lachie Neale, Cam Rayner and Dayne Zorko on being named in the AA squad for 2024.

All had fantastic seasons, and amazing to see Rayner in there for his first nomination, what a end of the year for him!

Harris and Zorko the best chances to make the team. Maybe Lockie. I doubt Joey will and Cam will likely get cut for any number of inside midfielders they name just to fit them in the team.

Harris and Zorko the best chances to make the team. Maybe Lockie. I doubt Joey will and Cam will likely get cut for any number of inside midfielders they name just to fit them in the team.
Harris and Zorko both worthy, can see them skipping Zorks.
After Lachie winning the Brownlow last year after an AA snub he will likely get a Bench spot.

dont know why opposition supporters are up in arms over the rayner inclusion. being obective, toby greene should be in the squad ahead of him playing a similar role. but after that cant think of many players in the role rayner is playing that were really better than him?

compare to the likes of andrew brayshaw who i would consider having had a worse season than mids including dunkley, tom green and luke davies uniacke and equivalent to a sam walsh.

Something is wrong with the selectors if Lachie, Zorko and Harris don’t make it at a minimum.

As I said the other day, if the AA team was genuine in selecting a team that would play, an easy case could be made for Joes selection because he plays second ruck unlike the other KPF you know will be chosen.

I don’t think Joe and Cam will make it in any event.

One issue I have with a 40 man squad instead of just naming a 23 is that it gives selectors an out because it seems now that the 17 that do miss out have been rewarded by making the squad which let’s be honest means Jack ahit.

dont know why opposition supporters are up in arms over the rayner inclusion. being obective, toby greene should be in the squad ahead of him playing a similar role. but after that cant think of many players in the role rayner is playing that were really better than him?

compare to the likes of andrew brayshaw who i would consider having had a worse season than mids including dunkley, tom green and luke davies uniacke and equivalent to a sam walsh.

Rankine missed the threshold with suspension and the hamstring (and concussion) - otherwise he gets in over cam pretty clearly I think.

Harris, Lachie and Zorks deserve spots in the final AA side.

Joe to just miss out.

Love Cam but I was surprised he even made the squad, he had a really good 2 month patch of footy but IMO there are others who deserved a squad spot in front of him, eg. Ben Keays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even as a GWS member, I would have Rayner's season over Greene's this year. Greene is still very dangerous inside 50 and delivering it inside 50, but the consistent impact on just about every game last year has moved to a handful of moments in a game this year, if that. Rayner's contested work and clearances would tip the balance to Cam. Rankine is a different story, but those missed games kill his candidacy.

Even as a GWS member, I would have Rayner's season over Greene's this year. Greene is still very dangerous inside 50 and delivering it inside 50, but the consistent impact on just about every game last year has moved to a handful of moments in a game this year, if that. Rayner's contested work and clearances would tip the balance to Cam. Rankine is a different story, but those missed games kill his candidacy.

You’re a GWS member? 😮

😉

I think the last point is the key element - I think Buckley said on SEN pretty much everything was locked down bar a few last head-to-head line ball calls in the AA selection meeting 3 weeks ago. Rankine was probably in then. After he then dropped below the games threshold I suspect they just had to find a mid-forward replacement at the last minute. For what it's worth Brad Johnson briefly had Rayner is his rolling AA 22 a few weeks ago too (on SEN sport day). I think I just realised I listen to too many SEN podcasts...

Ben Keays really should have made the squad.

Unreal for Cam, we know he can be inconsistent but when he’s on there’s only a small handful of players that can do the things he can on field.

Lachie, Zorko and Harris should be locks for the final team

If Cam was on for the full season or most of he's a lock for the team. His God like talent was on show for a month or two and a few other games, but not quite enough to make the team.

Caught up on 360 a short time ago and seriously Kingy and Robbo are a joke.

So King and Robbo are pushing hard for Massimo DÁmbrosio to get the wing spot and saying what an injustice it is if you don't pick a true winger. Where was all that when McCluugage was dominating the wing and I don't even think made the squad. D.Amborsio has ONE decent season and is supposedly the lock for the wing spot. History says you need a bit of body of work (you do if you play for a non-Victorian team anyway) before you get named.

And then apparantly Sheezel is worthy in his second season. Again why? Oh and Neale is omitted. Then King and Robbo bang on about the team needs to be picked as if it was playing and that no team plays three tall forwards. Ok so he names two but then there is no back up ruck. If that was the case, then Daniher is the logical choice as he was the only tall named that does play season ruck unless you name two out and out rucks which they won't do.

At least the panel agreed on Andrews, but I'll be annoyed for Dayne and Lachie if they are overlooked. Surely the AA selectors don't make the mistake two years in a row with omitting Lachie.

Anyway, wonder which of our boys flew down to Melbourne today.

Caught up on 360 a short time ago and seriously Kingy and Robbo are a joke.

So King and Robbo are pushing hard for Massimo DÁmbrosio to get the wing spot and saying what an injustice it is if you don't pick a true winger. Where was all that when McCluugage was dominating the wing and I don't even think made the squad. D.Amborsio has ONE decent season and is supposedly the lock for the wing spot. History says you need a bit of body of work (you do if you play for a non-Victorian team anyway) before you get named.

And then apparantly Sheezel is worthy in his second season. Again why? Oh and Neale is omitted. Then King and Robbo bang on about the team needs to be picked as if it was playing and that no team plays three tall forwards. Ok so he names two but then there is no back up ruck. If that was the case, then Daniher is the logical choice as he was the only tall named that does play season ruck unless you name two out and out rucks which they won't do.

At least the panel agreed on Andrews, but I'll be annoyed for Dayne and Lachie if they are overlooked. Surely the AA selectors don't make the mistake two years in a row with omitting Lachie.

Anyway, wonder which of our boys flew down to Melbourne today.

Hugh was in the AA squad from 2019-22 before he dropped away a bit the last 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast All Australian Lions 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back