All Australian team after 3 rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...
1 on 1 no one can stop him. Hell 1 on 2 the money would still be on Rioli, 1 on 3 you can't even be confident on the opposition winning. How can a player like that not be in the top 10. That is not even mentioning his decision making with his disposals this year. Not seen a better decision maker then him in a long while, including Jablett.

B C.Bolton Scarlett Gilbert
HB Gilbee Lake Drummond
C Montagna Dal Santo Pearce
HF Chapman Richardson S.Johnson
F Koschitzke Bradshaw Motlop
R Jolly Judd Ablett
Int Porplyzia/LeCras Murphy/Stanton P.Burgoyne Cox/Fraser

1 on 1 no one can stop him. Hell 1 on 2 the money would still be on Rioli, 1 on 3 you can't even be confident on the opposition winning. How can a player like that not be in the top 10. That is not even mentioning his decision making with his disposals this year. Not seen a better decision maker then him in a long while, including Jablett.

gold :D

The first post was obviously a joke.

A joke thats not even good enough for the bad humour board.

This bloke is some sort of bigfooty village idiot.

The first post was obviously a joke.

A joke thats not even good enough for the bad humour board.

This bloke is some sort of bigfooty village idiot.
So because he does not get 30+ disposals a game he cannot be any good? The guy is a tiny and yet has an enormous presence on the field. Arguably the best tackler in the league and has one of the best disposals in the league as well. That together with everything else I have said makes me an idiot? You clearly have not seen him play this year.

I tell you what Buddy only gets 15 to 20 disposals a game and has a crap efficiency rating. He must be a dud then.

i think some people are taking this a bit too literally that it's a prediction of the all australian team at the end of the year.

it's merely a recognition of who have been the best players over the first 3 rounds. for mine jobe watson would be in a team of the year so far, but i don't think he'll end up in the all australian team.

also brian lake has been the best full back IMO so far but there will be plenty of contendors by the end of the year. the usual contendors rutten, scarlett and glass (who's was fantastic in round 1 and 2. haven't seen round 3) will be up there again.

koschitze definately has to be in the team so far, but i don't think he'll be in it at years end. maybe he's found some consistency but i'm doubtful.... josh fraser likewise. he's been great. jolly and fraser the two standout ruck's with cox just a bit behind, but i think cox will prove over the course of 22 weeks that he is still number 1.

LeCras is another - he's been the best small forward thus far. whether he can keep that up over 2 years i don't know. i hope so :) daniel motlop sitting at number 2 so far this year. but there are heaps of quality and freakish small forwards floating around.

the usual suspects would be there thus far - judd, ablett, chapman, mitchell, richardson have been great again and would be in the best team so far this year, and will most likely all be in there at season's end.

grant birchall has been fantastic so far this year. i'd have him in there thus far. bugger about his injury. lindsay gilbee likewise (although no injury).......

not gonna do an exact team cause i can't be arsed but a quick summary of what i think so far:

guys in the team so far who i think will be in there at years end:
judd, ablett, chapman, mitchell, steve johnson

guys in the team so far who i think most likely will be in the team at years end:
gilbee, richardson, lecras, jolly

guys in the team so far who i don't think will be there at years end:
lake, birchall, motlop, koschitzke, fraser, watson

yes i'm aware there are still 7 spots up for grabs. might look into it tomorrow.

guys not in the team now who i think will be there at years end:
scarlett, cox, j selwood, pavlich

Point 1. Cyril Rioli is "the best'' footballer in the land atm.

Torched Geelong week one in a losing game - Thompson is having nightmares over him.
BOG against Sydney in a losing game with a Tag
Scintilating against Norf - with a Tag

Point 2. Franklin .........well im not even going to bother.

Point 3. refer point 1, shove your stats where the sun don't shine and go and watch a game with Cyril playing, it usually means you'll be watching the Hawks.....

Clearly the Best player in the comp, cannot be beaten, the Kid is a superstar....its almost as if his team mates deliberatley kick it to him when he is clearly in no position to win the ball surrounded by opposition only to see what he will do.....you can almost here his team mates collectively thinking, i like to see him win this one, surely he wont get this one now will he.....oh shit...he's done it again.

Cyril is King of the mountain.

LeCras is another - he's been the best small forward thus far. whether he can keep that up over 2 years i don't know. i hope so :) daniel motlop sitting at number 2 so far this year. but there are heaps of quality and freakish small forwards floating around.
I'd love to see Lecca keep his form up for the whole season and make it into the AA side. As you say quite a lot of competition for that spot though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely murdered your lot. Hes in the side cos hes by far the best kicker of the football in the league atm as far as midfielders go. Averaging 24 disposals and a goal a game. Sneaks in IMO

Oh dear, only took a day and champion data releases the clanger kings of the competition and guess who is sitting at number 4 in the league for clanger kicks....good call, try watching a little more footy instead of reading the stats the next day

Rioli: Avg. 14.7 possessions per game (incl. 20 contested possessions in 3 games) at 55% effective disposal. Avg. 5.7 tackles per game and < 1 goal per game.

Al Davey: Avg. 13.7 possessions per game (incl. 18 contested possessions in 3 games) at 80% effective disposal. Avg. 6.7 tackles per game and 1 goal per game.

If you have Cyril in the top 10, does that place Al Davey in the top 5? Davey is also coming back from a knee reconstruction! ;)

Oh dear, only took a day and champion data releases the clanger kings of the competition and guess who is sitting at number 4 in the league for clanger kicks....good call, try watching a little more footy instead of reading the stats the next day

Its for season 2008 and 2009.
Not just 2009.

Also, its based on the top 50 possession winners - not every player in the AFL.

Try reading the base of the statistical table next time.

Rioli: Avg. 14.7 possessions per game (incl. 20 contested possessions in 3 games) at 55% effective disposal. Avg. 5.7 tackles per game and < 1 goal per game.

Al Davey: Avg. 13.7 possessions per game (incl. 18 contested possessions in 3 games) at 80% effective disposal. Avg. 6.7 tackles per game and 1 goal per game.

If you have Cyril in the top 10, does that place Al Davey in the top 5? Davey is also coming back from a knee reconstruction! ;)
Nah would probably choose Leon Neon before Davey. Great to watch and can light up a game like no one else.

No, not really.

He's finished in the top 6 of his B & F four years running and is probably the first Essendon player tagged each week.

I dare say the coaches have got more idea than you and your mates....

That proves exactly my point... who else have they got in there midfield... It is nearly the worst in the leage... Granted i like Jobe but his skills aren't great or penetrating enough... Stanton (well that's obvious) and whoever is your third... You have a great kid in Prismall but you have to be patient with his injury...

The fact that he is being tagged and not every week don't be silly.. Most go head to head with your mid because most teams will win that battle... So just sit down and actually take a look at your midfield from an unbiased point of view and don't get so defensive... there isn't much there... I think you should be putting the little fella Alwyn Davey in the mid in short spurts to add some speed... but hey as you pointed out what do me and my mates know..... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jacky

If the following players play at least 20 games, they will be in:

ablett
bartel
s. johnson
selwood
scarlett
franklin
hodge
roughead
mitchell
judd
gibbs
fevola
goddard
s. fisher

the rest of the team will be made up of fill ins from everywhere else. After about the year 2002 or so, the all australian team has been a waste of time!!
selectors pick their favorites and get them in there somehow.
I have said it for years, now......send a ballot to every club and afl member, and give them 5 players to pick from in each position.
you cant pick from your own club (they will know cause of your membership details).
most votes for each position gets that spot!!

You left out Pavlich - it's written in his contract to be in the All Australian team. Gerard Healy made the deal!

If the following players play at least 20 games, they will be in:

ablett
bartel
s. johnson
selwood
scarlett
franklin
hodge
roughead
mitchell
judd
gibbs
fevola
goddard
s. fisher

the rest of the team will be made up of fill ins from everywhere else. After about the year 2002 or so, the all australian team has been a waste of time!!
selectors pick their favorites and get them in there somehow.
I have said it for years, now......send a ballot to every club and afl member, and give them 5 players to pick from in each position.
you cant pick from your own club (they will know cause of your membership details).
most votes for each position gets that spot!!

Seem to yeah

Which is why this season i'm trying to provide our own weekly measuring stick to get rid of the media hype.

Sick of suddenly getting midway thru a season and coz a team is on a roll their guys get talked up for AA all over the park...or the commentators start spruiking their toyboys.

Happened with Mackie last yr amongst others..to me the bloke was an average footballer being dragged up a level and suddenly they were touting him for AA.

Only way is to start from the beginning like it is being done and allocate pts on a totally objective basis as the season progresses.

Get to late season and see how it differs from the toyboys.

Already there are the invisibles that can only be seen with open eyes.

In the middle a guy called Tyson Edwards has been terrific each week...yet noone seems to care. Power and Boyd have had a good start too.

FB: Gilbee, Bolton, Gilbert
HB: Goddard, Lake, Waite
C: Richardson, Judd, Gibbs
HF: Chapman, Koschitzke, S. Johnson
FF: Davis, Roughhead, LeCras
R: Jolly, Ablett, Dal Santo
I/C: Sandilands, Aaron Davey, Montagna, Johnstone

That proves exactly my point... who else have they got in there midfield... It is nearly the worst in the leage... Granted i like Jobe but his skills aren't great or penetrating enough... Stanton (well that's obvious) and whoever is your third... You have a great kid in Prismall but you have to be patient with his injury...

The fact that he is being tagged and not every week don't be silly.. Most go head to head with your mid because most teams will win that battle... So just sit down and actually take a look at your midfield from an unbiased point of view and don't get so defensive... there isn't much there... I think you should be putting the little fella Alwyn Davey in the mid in short spurts to add some speed... but hey as you pointed out what do me and my mates know..... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jacky

It was our midfield that got us over the line against Carlton- Lovett, Watson, Winderlich have all had great starts to the season. Stanton is not at that level, but improving- definately not in the best 22. Add up and coming players like Lonergan, Hocking, Zaharakis etc and we could have a decent midfield, without the big names yet, but we will see in the future.

If there were any Bombers in, they'd be Lovett and Watson. Probably won't happen by the end of the season though.

Remove this Banner Ad

All Australian team after 3 rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back