All Australian thread 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

To me that just further proves how little value the AFL player ratings have. If you can find a team made before round 9 in this thread that has either Naitanui, Tom Bell, or Adam Saad I'd be very surprised. I've had a quick look and there were a number of ruckman discussed including Martin, Mumford, Goldstein, Blicavs, Jacobs and Sandilands, but no mention of Naitanui. Over those 8 rounds he only average 10.9 touches, 0.75 goals, 0.75 marks, 31 hitouts and 86 champion data points, so I'd be curious to see what stats they used to make their decision.

In fairness to the rankings, Bell was averaging 94.875 points at the time and had a fairly decent start to the season. Saad was one of the better half back flankers at the start of the season. I think this probably proves the pointlessness of doing All-Australian teams half way through the year.

Bontempelli was the highest rated player of round 23 with 28 points

COSN0ZNUwAATXgK.png

He jumps another 7 spots to 13th overall in the official player ratings.

He is also the 6th highest rated player of 2015

COSNUuWUcAAuGm0.png

Right so they know they deliberately developed and published a system that's flawed and are so worried about it they don't make available each games individual results.
Any system that tries to quantify a sport like AFL is going have flaws. They don't appear to be selling the data to anyone, so I'm not sure why else they couldn't release it.

Let me try this from another angle, Gaff seems to be a lock and is in everyones team, except for player ratings, he isn't even in their second AA team.
In fairness to the rankings, Bell was averaging 94.875 points at the time and had a fairly decent start to the season. Saad was one of the better half back flankers at the start of the season. I think this probably proves the pointlessness of doing All-Australian teams half way through the year.
I didn't say they were spuds, just that nobody was rating them as AA candidates at that time except for this one system, so either the system is flawed or everybody is wrong.

Bontempelli was the highest rated player of round 23 with 28 points

COSN0ZNUwAATXgK.png

He jumps another 7 spots to 13th overall in the official player ratings.

He is also the 6th highest rated player of 2015

COSNUuWUcAAuGm0.png

Mate, only averages 21 disposals a game, isn't any better than Josh Caddy.

end of season AA team

FB: Shaw, Rance, Murphy

CHB: Mitchell, Hurley, Laird

C: Gaff, Priddis, Hannebery

HF: Wingard, Rewioldt, Martin

FF: Betts, Kennedy, Stringer

R: Goldstein, Fyfe, Kennedy

IC: Danger, Swan, Gray, Gunston
Riewoldt hasn't done enough, won't make the side, borderline for the 40.

I think Bontempelli is a legitimate candidate for a midfield spot.

Last edited:
I didn't say they were spuds, just that nobody was rating them as AA candidates at that time except for this one system, so either the system is flawed or everybody is wrong.

I think bigfooty tends not to rate players from struggling sides, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were underrated. They're also not household names either.

As for Gaff, the reason why he's not in the AFL rankings team is because, unlike bigfooty, the AFL rankings treats the wings as just part of the midfield, so they just put the best ranked midfielder that they haven't put in the rover positions there. They had Priddis on the wing last round in their second team. Maybe their teams should stick to positions a bit more, but their rankings system seems fairly legitimate.

FB: Shaw, Rance, Wood

HB: Murphy, Hurley, Burgoyne

C: Pendlebury, Priddis, Hannebery

HF: Wingard, Walker, Rioli

FF: Stringer, Kennedy, Betts

R: Goldstein, Fyfe, Dangerfield

Bench: Bontempelli, Kennedy, Gray, Deledio

Quick write up.

Few toss of the coin decisions in there but that'll do for now. Could easily swap Selwood or Mitchell in for others mids. Rioli HF and Deledio bench because Rioli playerd more games.

Last edited:

Quick write up.

Few toss of the coin decisions in there but that'll do for now. Could easily swap Selwood or Mitchell in for others mids. Rioli HF and Deledio bench because Rioli playerd more games.

Selwood no way, but Mitchell is an certainty. He's going to shit in the Hawks B&F, definitely deserves a spot over Bontempelli or Deledio. Lids has been great but he's missed 5 games, with competition tight it means he misses.

Burgoyne is the odd one out, he's been rather average and shouldn't even be in the squad. Boyd, Gibson, Hodge and Laird all have far greater claim to a spot in the backline.

Selwood no way, but Mitchell is an certainty. He's going to shit in the Hawks B&F, definitely deserves a spot over Bontempelli or Deledio. Lids has been great but he's missed 5 games, with competition tight it means he misses.

Burgoyne is the odd one out, he's been rather average and shouldn't even be in the squad. Boyd, Gibson, Hodge and Laird all have far greater claim to a spot in the backline.

I'll definitely re-do it when I can look at a list of players and it's not all off the top of my head.

5 games isn't too much to miss, Hodge being a good example. Deledio at least a bench spot, especially considering Martin has made the HF position of all places on a lot of draft teams.

I'll definitely re-do it when I can look at a list of players and it's not all off the top of my head.

5 games isn't too much to miss, Hodge being a good example. Deledio at least a bench spot, especially considering Martin has made the HF position of all places on a lot of draft teams.

It is enough if he's displacing someone like Mitchell who has easily been a top 5 mid yet is missing from your side.

Again, it was off the top of my head, typed it up in less than a couple of minutes.

He isn't taking Mitchell's spot in my side anyway.

Agree with Donakebab on this one - Selwood not close, Mitchell a certainty, Bontempelli iffy (squad) and Burgoyne not close.

Deledio I can handle - has had a great second half of the year but slow start and missing 5 games makes him touch and go at best .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with Donakebab on this one - Selwood not close, Mitchell a certainty, Bontempelli iffy (squad) and Burgoyne not close.

Deledio I can handle - has had a great second half of the year but slow start and missing 5 games makes him touch and go at best .

Yup I'll definitely make some touch ups.

His slow start to the season was actually very good. The only match where he was disappointing was in his return match from injury vs. North Melbourne, was unfit and North didn't have to tag him too heavily to reduce his impact.

Deledio is a player that has to be watched. Matthew Lloyd and Richo stress it a lot, he's Richmond's most important player. Can play any position and might not get huge disposal numbers, but week in week he'll string out 4 quarter efforts and is more damaging than any other player we have. Absolutely smashes the score involvements at Richmond. Edit: Checked the stat. Leading score involvements per game for Richmond. Leading in the competition total in the last 10 rounds.

I can't think of any other player I can compare him to. He's not like Rioli as a player, but it's the same in the sense that people will read stats and constantly question him rather than paying close attention to the damage he does, while making it look subtle.

Quick write up.

The Bont in the team ahead of Mundy who was runner up in the 3aw player of the year award, is top 5 in the coaches award, has been a consistent for years, been one of our best finals players in the last 4 years (including our best in the 2013 gf) and has never been all australian. fair dinkum!

The Bont in the team ahead of Mundy who was runner up in the 3aw player of the year award, is top 5 in the coaches award, has been a consistent for years, been one of our best finals players in the last 4 years (including our best in the 2013 gf) and has never been all australian. fair dinkum!

No issue with it at all.

Has to be in for Deledio though.

Naitanui wasnt fit enough to keep up with Jacobs that's why he had less hit outs. Jacobs was also much better around the ground.
He had less hitouts because he had much less game time. Almost 20% less, and he also spent time up forward so realistically probably spent 25-30% less time than Jacobs in the ruck and still was only 6 hitouts short. Jacobs did a good job to nullify Naitanui compared to previous weeks, and from last time they met, but he didn't "comprehensively beat him" as the other bloke said.

I don't think Lids will make it and given the competition for half forward spots, I don't really think he should either. But if the only issue is that he missed 5 games - we all know Steve Johnson missed 7 due to a club imposed suspension and went on to make AA in 2007. In his remaining games he averaged 18 touches and kicked 20 goals. This year Lids averages 21 touches and has kicked 26 goals. Pretty handy stats. For me it isn't as much the games missed that'll push him out as it is the stack of quality HFFs/goalkicking mids in contention this year. Missing 5 games is probably too many amongst this crop.

Gaff has to be in the 18, seriously I am biased but the best pure wingman in the comp for the year has to be a lock and this year it's him by a distance.

Gaff has to be in the 18, seriously I am biased but the best pure wingman in the comp for the year has to be a lock and this year it's him by a distance.

I reckon Gaff will end up finishing runner-up in this years Brownlow medal.

I don't think Lids will make it and given the competition for half forward spots, I don't really think he should either. But if the only issue is that he missed 5 games - we all know Steve Johnson missed 7 due to a club imposed suspension and went on to make AA in 2007. In his remaining games he averaged 18 touches and kicked 20 goals. This year Lids averages 21 touches and has kicked 26 goals. Pretty handy stats. For me it isn't as much the games missed that'll push him out as it is the stack of quality HFFs/goalkicking mids in contention this year. Missing 5 games is probably too many amongst this crop.

Wot? SJ kicked 49 goals and averaged 18.6 touches a game in 2007. Much better than Lids.

Wood Hurley Shaw
McVeigh Rance Boyd
Gaff Fyfe Hannebery
Wingard Kennedy Gray
Betts Cameron Stringer

Goldstein Priddis Dangerfield

Pendlebury Mitchell JP Kennedy Mundy

Remove this Banner Ad

All Australian thread 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back