All Divisions General NFNL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The ‘big’ leagues should have , as they’d agreed to , stuck together & made a decision together once we got to the middle of June as originally agreed too..
NFL will suffer tremendously , by branching off with EFL making the decision to ‘ pull the pin ‘..
I can Honestly say , I’ve already spoken with at least 10 , quality 19yr olds ( & are trying to coax their mates to come with them ) who will now transfer to leagues that are playing this season. Good luck getting them back , unfortunately..
Not one wants $$ , they just want to play footy..

The ‘big’ leagues should have , as they’d agreed to , stuck together & made a decision together once we got to the middle of June as originally agreed too..
NFL will suffer tremendously , by branching off with EFL making the decision to ‘ pull the pin ‘..
I can Honestly say , I’ve already spoken with at least 10 , quality 19yr olds ( & are trying to coax their mates to come with them ) who will now transfer to leagues that are playing this season. Good luck getting them back , unfortunately..
Not one wants $$ , they just want to play footy..
Not one wants $$? Aren’t they 19s? Different story for paid senior Div 1 footballers. Players will still be getting paid even though the salary is $0.

I think clubs would vote different.

There is a clear path to round one now that didn’t exist when they voted. I was just reporting what I knew was happening that the season would be called off.

And praised them for doing so.

There was no harm in waiting 2 more weeks for the announcements that came on the weekend. The restrictions easing were pre empted at the start of June. Even if other leagues pull the pin now or they don’t get a season going at least they tried

I think clubs would vote different.

There is a clear path to round one now that didn’t exist when they voted. I was just reporting what I knew was happening that the season would be called off.
Yeh a few would change there mind. Still be a lot that would want it called off. Weren’t going to please everyone in this situation unfortunately. Have they said that bars, canteens, social rooms and functions etc, will all be good to go?

Some huge names will transferring to play in nearby leagues. Already heard of 4.
Extraordinarily embarassing to have some of the leagues most decorated players running around in div 2 of the EDFL! A couple going to WRFL and SFNL also.

the biggest concern is the 19’s that are eligible to play 18’s still.

The league can’t hide behind the clubs voting on whether a season should of gone ahead or not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The league can’t hide behind the clubs voting on whether a season should of gone ahead or not
So a fair few clubs from all divisions had said they may not be able to survive if a 9 game season got up and running and you think the league should have told them just to suck it up and play?

So a fair few clubs from all divisions had said they may not be able to survive if a 9 game season got up and running and you think the league should have told them just to suck it up and play?

Not at all, but to make the final call when they did was the wrong one.

The announcements over the weekend weren’t a surprise and had been planned for weeks.

By end of July crowds won’t be an issue and there should be no reason you can’t run a bar or canteen. All these were some great unknown 2 weeks ago but the plan was there to have all the three elements functioning.

By sitting tight for 2 weeks it would of given everyone an opportunity to play footy.

Elaborate? I'm interested to hear this could be embarrassing for the League if so.

LP not the only club interested, i would be surprised if 10-12 team across divi 1 and 2 weren't interested in organizing scratch matches over a 6-8 week period from August to end of September.

LP not the only club interested, i would be surprised if 10-12 team across divi 1 and 2 weren't interested in organizing scratch matches over a 6-8 week period from August to end of September.

The NFNL clearly stated that they "have a clear obligation to protect players, coaches, volunteers, officials, umpires, staff, supporters, and their families during the COVID-19 pandemic"

I think without NFNL (and AFL-Vic) sanctioning there would be huge insurance issues, conduct issues (tribunal), umpire issues (payments and availability) and that's without thinking what the relevant councils would say, start using facilities and you have to start paying for them, thus the need to make money, resulting in needing crowds and bars and canteens and then we pretty much have a competition.

Many hurdles to jump, and that is not even seeing if players want to play a mickey mouse competition when most tradies can work and most can get injured. Clubs that voted not to play as they thought they would be worse off doing so would not see this as viable as well.

Season 2021 is only 289 Days away..........

The NFNL clearly stated that they "have a clear obligation to protect players, coaches, volunteers, officials, umpires, staff, supporters, and their families during the COVID-19 pandemic"

I think without NFNL (and AFL-Vic) sanctioning there would be huge insurance issues, conduct issues (tribunal), umpire issues (payments and availability) and that's without thinking what the relevant councils would say, start using facilities and you have to start paying for them, thus the need to make money, resulting in needing crowds and bars and canteens and then we pretty much have a competition.

Many hurdles to jump, and that is not even seeing if players want to play a mickey mouse competition when most tradies can work and most can get injured. Clubs that voted not to play as they thought they would be worse off doing so would not see this as viable as well.

Season 2021 is only 289 Days away..........

All valid points but nothing that can’t be done.

if it’s so unsafe then why are other leagues pushing ahead.

i can’t see why any social games would be any different to organising practice games like clubs do at the start of the year.

Players will want to work or play elsewhere, does that mean we should not attempt to play some games because a small group of blokes want to work.

All valid points but nothing that can’t be done.

if it’s so unsafe then why are other leagues pushing ahead.

i can’t see why any social games would be any different to organising practice games like clubs do at the start of the year.

Players will want to work or play elsewhere, does that mean we should not attempt to play some games because a small group of blokes want to work.

First off I think we should have held on and seen what happened and played. The decision was made too early and made by Clubs (Presidents) that thought of bottom line and not what players would want. Training for four weeks in anticipation of a season then being told no the restrictions are not being lifted would have been acceptable compared to blanket cancelling when we now see crowds already at sports around Australia and if things keep going we would have been fine by mid July. If other Leagues get up and running I think Leagues that called it should be held accountable. I would like Clubs that stated they would be broke and unable to pay next season explain how that was going to happen if restrictions eased, crowds allowed etc

Practice matches are sanctioned and approved at NFNL level, there is a team sheet and all players must be registered online for the year, they can be reported and all umpires have to be authorised. This also covers insurance through the AFL-Vic Insurer. Council, as the owner of the ground will not allow social games being semi organised due to all that and especially the liability issues. Clubs were worried about costs of trainers (and gear), grounds, balls, umpires etc etc how do they get the money for all that in a social setting.

Players that want to play should be ringing their Presidents/Committee that screamed blue murder if the season went ahead, they should also be allowed to be cleared as their Club was the one that helped the decision to be made.

First off I think we should have held on and seen what happened and played. The decision was made too early and made by Clubs (Presidents) that thought of bottom line and not what players would want. Training for four weeks in anticipation of a season then being told no the restrictions are not being lifted would have been acceptable compared to blanket cancelling when we now see crowds already at sports around Australia and if things keep going we would have been fine by mid July. If other Leagues get up and running I think Leagues that called it should be held accountable. I would like Clubs that stated they would be broke and unable to pay next season explain how that was going to happen if restrictions eased, crowds allowed etc

Practice matches are sanctioned and approved at NFNL level, there is a team sheet and all players must be registered online for the year, they can be reported and all umpires have to be authorised. This also covers insurance through the AFL-Vic Insurer. Council, as the owner of the ground will not allow social games being semi organised due to all that and especially the liability issues. Clubs were worried about costs of trainers (and gear), grounds, balls, umpires etc etc how do they get the money for all that in a social setting.

Players that want to play should be ringing their Presidents/Committee that screamed blue murder if the season went ahead, they should also be allowed to be cleared as their Club was the one that helped the decision to be made.
So true. Funny how all of a sudden clubs could be happy for a ‘social comp’ which would have similar out goings to if a season were to go ahead yet are fine with that. All about loading up for 2021 for some clubs, a bit of selfishness in my eyes. At least other leagues the clubs are prepared to give it a god for the survival of the game. Clubs will end up worst out of this without a season and the Nfnl will be accountable. Funny how the nfnl wanted to see all teams return next year by cancelling the season this year. Now it is probably looking like teams would be even less likely to return next season with the cancellation of this year. Biggest mistake.

So true. Funny how all of a sudden clubs could be happy for a ‘social comp’ which would have similar out goings to if a season were to go ahead yet are fine with that. All about loading up for 2021 for some clubs, a bit of selfishness in my eyes. At least other leagues the clubs are prepared to give it a god for the survival of the game. Clubs will end up worst out of this without a season and the Nfnl will be accountable. Funny how the nfnl wanted to see all teams return next year by cancelling the season this year. Now it is probably looking like teams would be even less likely to return next season with the cancellation of this year. Biggest mistake.
The league needs to do something as it appears players are piling out and training with other clubs already. The gap in standard for 2021 across grades will be disgusting and some clubs will go backwards

Remove this Banner Ad

All Divisions General NFNL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back