All Divisions General NFNL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

does anyone else share the opinion that the playing standard perception of the NFNL is in decline? Once a premier metro comp, now you feel it’s well behind EDFL, EFL and VAFA. Community engagement, communications and creativity could improve. I would like to see the league aggressively target Preston bullants which is in the heart of the north and even Bulleen Templestowe in the VAFA. Forget Broadford.
Thoughts?
NFNL doesn’t need anymore teams. Bigger isn’t better imo.

10-10-10 is perfect

NFNL doesn’t need anymore teams. Bigger isn’t better imo.

10-10-10 is perfect
he is asking about the standard, and i have to agree. Div 1 is totally dominated by 1 team. Next best is 7-8 goals off them on a bad day.
Its all down hill from there with Div 2 and 3 standard no where near it.
The standard is clearly on the decline i agree.

Standard/depth has seemingly dropped off from the games I get down to - but I don't watch much local footy from other NFNL. Not sure what the answer is, or what is the reason - less growth in North? changes to demographic?

Perhaps as the outer North becomes more established that will be a stronger zone - EG Mernda/Sth Morgang/Laurimer?

he is asking about the standard, and i have to agree. Div 1 is totally dominated by 1 team. Next best is 7-8 goals off them on a bad day.
Its all down hill from there with Div 2 and 3 standard no where near it.
The standard is clearly on the decline i agree.
I think the standard has dropped a bit from the Heidelberg streak. But I think that’s the points system working and not allowing clubs to go out and have a massive crack in 1 year.

Take Heidelberg out and I think overall league is so balanced it’s fantastic.

I couldn’t be bothered looking into it but I dare say the margins in the NFNL across all divisions have been the lowest in the state out of metro comps.

The standard has dropped everywhere, that's been a product of the points system as mentioned before. However it's also made plenty of leagues quite competitive.

The NFNL is the only league in metro Melbourne that doesn't have a team sitting on a percentage under 40 so the games have been competitive.

Div 2 for what it's worth is one of four divisions across all of metro Melbourne that has every team sitting on a percentage of at least 70.

Heidelberg obviously best club out there by distance. But I think the league should be commended for how competitive it generally is in recent years - not a horrendous amount of games where the result is super predictable.

Random question off the back of some interesting conversations recently.

It's getting harder and harder to find volunteers. As such, clubs like ours see our committee has had to outsource a few things to ease the burden on the select few who are doing the work to make things tick over. We probably have more paid roles (than I can recall in my playing days anyway) than we have volunteers.

With that in mind, I was recently at a lunch with some senior VAFA committee people and they were talking HUGE numbers for 'staff' to do BIG roles at their club..... Football Manager, Recruitment, Head of Coaching, Doctors, Physios, Senior committee roles, etc, etc. Well over $900K to run their club .....and they don't have player payments included in that sum.

Now as we are a small club and from a low division so I have no idea, but what sort of roles are clubs in the NFNL paying for now days apart from the usual coaches, trainers, player payments? And where do we think it will end up?

It's getting harder and harder to find volunteers. As such, clubs like ours see our committee has had to outsource a few things to ease the burden on the select few who are doing the work to make things tick over. We probably have more paid roles (than I can recall in my playing days anyway) than we have volunteers.

With that in mind, I was recently at a lunch with some senior VAFA committee people and they were talking HUGE numbers for 'staff' to do BIG roles at their club..... Football Manager, Recruitment, Head of Coaching, Doctors, Physios, Senior committee roles, etc, etc. Well over $900K to run their club .....and they don't have player payments included in that sum.

Now as we are a small club and from a low division so I have no idea, but what sort of roles are clubs in the NFNL paying for now days apart from the usual coaches, trainers, player payments? And where do we think it will end up?
I wouldn’t have thought any other roles were paid positions

I’d find it hard to believe a VAFA club is spending 900k to run their club. I know some big clubs have a football manger on 100k ish but that’s a long way off 900k.

Some clubs pay a football manager to recruit sponsors and players… the idea is they bring in far more than their costing.

Many clubs now pay water boys, time keepers because it simple is a lot easier and less stressful than relying on volunteers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d find it hard to believe a VAFA club is spending 900k to run their club. I know some big clubs have a football manger on 100k ish but that’s a long way off 900k.

Some clubs pay a football manager to recruit sponsors and players… the idea is they bring in far more than their costing.

Many clubs now pay water boys, time keepers because it simple is a lot easier and less stressful than relying on volunteers
Can absolutely confirm $900k to run this VAFA club last year (have about 7 teams). Footy Operations manager on $130k+ to start with.

Scotch ..... Xavier would be huge. Their program manager 4 years ago - looking after 11 teams had an office at the school, full time role and $120k+

It's a different set up for sure, but at the A Grade level in the VAFA Head of Coaching, Head of Development, Footy Operations Etc, etc all part of a big staffing spend (soft cap so to speak).

Just wondering where it goes for semi-professional clubs moving forward.

Scotch ..... Xavier would be huge. Their program manager 4 years ago - looking after 11 teams had an office at the school, full time role and $120k+

It's a different set up for sure, but at the A Grade level in the VAFA Head of Coaching, Head of Development, Footy Operations Etc, etc all part of a big staffing spend (soft cap so to speak).

Just wondering where it goes for semi-professional clubs moving forward.
Are you saying they paid 900k in wages? Or they turned over 900k in uniform, trainer fees, functions etc

I forgot about those 🤦‍♂️
Do you think BIG clubs in the top divisons in any semi professional competition will get to a stage where 'full time' or 'part-time' employment becomes something they look at to run their 'business' (Club).

It's interesting that clubs are trying to build/run what is considered a small business with turnover exceeding $500k a year and the people running it are all trying to make it fit in around work. Does it eventually get to a position of those running the club become 'staff' also?

It was just an interesting chat with some people and l thought I'd run it in here for some thoughts.

Do you think BIG clubs in the top divisons in any semi professional competition will get to a stage where 'full time' or 'part-time' employment becomes something they look at to run their 'business' (Club).

It's interesting that clubs are trying to build/run what is considered a small business with turnover exceeding $500k a year and the people running it are all trying to make it fit in around work. Does it eventually get to a position of those running the club become 'staff' also?

It was just an interesting chat with some people and l thought I'd run it in here for some thoughts.
I think big clubs will end up going in the direction. In a way Keilor does this with Mick Mcguane between Juniors and Seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

All Divisions General NFNL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back