News All things CEO and board related in here - Gaudry, Stevenson Garvey out, Kennett in

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing with Clarko is he wouldnt try to make a Prelim just to extend his contract. Thats not in him. He will do whatever's best for the club. His willingness to resign/step down this year if the club felt he couldn't do the job is testament to this.

I surely do not want anyone placing a strict policy of max 10 years tenure for a coach like Clarko. Sure, its to stop people who have no idea how to reinvent themselves. Clarko is almost like a better version of himself every year. The guy is an innovator and keeps changing.

Maybe Clarko won't be coach after 2019 because he'll be president of the club? I think Clarko is destined for bigger things at HFC.

The irony for the moment being that with a Master of Business Administration,Clarkson is better qualified than the current Board of Directors with or preferably without Kennett.
A Bachelor of Sports Science and a playing career ........

Unfortunately,now we only have two ex Hawthorn players on The Board. Both have business degrees though.

A lawyer is always handy.
Ditto an accountant.

The lady with Emergency Services experience may be handy :)

With Kennett,the neurosurgeon could be useful :(

Hope Ayres and Dunstall can find a bit of time.

This is not looking good.

The irony for the moment being that with a Master of Business Administration,Clarkson is better qualified than the current Board of Directors with or preferably without Kennett.
A Bachelor of Sports Science and a playing career ........

Unfortunately,now we only have two ex Hawthorn players on The Board. Both have business degrees though.

A lawyer is always handy.
Ditto an accountant.

The lady with Emergency Services experience may be handy :)

With Kennett,the neurosurgeon could be useful :(

Hope Ayres and Dunstall can find a bit of time.

This is not looking good.

Caro's article today mentioned that deficiencies in the current board were being looked at.

"The board faces a clean-out although Kennett will push to retain Garvey, whom he initially appointed as a director – with the Hawks recognising the lack of commercial and marketing expertise at the top table. It will be the president who will move over the coming weeks to appoint the next chief executive."

There is no point in fretting about what will happen re Clarko in two years time. Lots of things can change between now then, including the possibility that Clarko himself may want to move on for a new challenge. Who knows he might want to take on a basket case club to see if he can work his magic there or he might want to take on a completely new role in football or out of football. Or he may want to complete the last leg of another three-peat :D Having Jeff as president won't make a huge difference IMO, other factors will be much more in play.

did anyone hear the triple m interview this morning with don scott?
it was pretty interesting take and caught me buy surprise,in short...

he not a fan of jeff, also thinks the clubs handling over firstly hiring and then not sticking buy there decision and giving in to the middle management below there is ludacris.

did anyone hear the triple m interview this morning with don scott?
it was pretty interesting take and caught me buy surprise,in short...

he not a fan of jeff, also thinks the clubs handling over firstly hiring and then not sticking buy there decision and giving in to the middle management below there is ludacris.

Didn't surprise me - Don is a miserable old bastard (said with all respect for his past deeds for the club) and never resists in whinging about how the club is run. For a fairly progressive bloke in his day (at least with his fashion choices) he is stuck in the absolute past when it comes to how footy clubs operate now. He made a decent point or two about having someone with both footy and business experience - but that's not always going to be possible.

His comments about not sticking by the CEO were stupid. Gaudry was doing a poor job by all reports and we were about to have an exodus of senior managers if she didn't go. It's a lot easier to replace a CEO than to lose multiple senior managers.

Haven't heard any of Don Scott's comments but he is too far removed from the club these days to make any meaningful contribution to the discussion IMO. Doesn't mean he isn't entitled to his opinion but would take his comments with a grain of salt.

One thing that does have me a bit confused is some comments Jeff made kind of implying that Tracy was misrepresented to the club by the employment agency or that the job was misrepresented to her or something along those lines. Did anyone else pick that up? I'm a bit confused by that as surely a lengthy interview process would flush out an issue of that kind.

Former MFB CEO Jim Higgins would be ideal to bring into the club now maybe as CEO or atleast at board level. Very smart bussiness man and would provide stability also very very big hawks man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of which, was talking to someone the other day who knows Peter Nankivell and they spoke highly of him so hopefully that bodes well. Have to admit I had not heard of him until he was made interim CEO.

Former MFB CEO Jim Higgins would be ideal to bring into the club now maybe as CEO or atleast at board level. Very smart bussiness man and would provide stability also very very big hawks man.

Has he ever worked in the private sector? Seems to be a public servant who worked up through the ranks. Not to suggest that he is a dud - he may be great, but I would generally prefer someone with commercial experience. Particularly with the Dingley project - we need someone who can be all over that from day one.

He was linked to the board a few years ago, not sure what stuff he has done outside public sector. Hope they have a chat to him though.

I wonder whether Gary Pert has a new job... He seemed the most honourable man at Collingwood being praised for his honesty and constructive dialogue. He is used to dealing with big personalities, and as CEO he oversaw the redevelopment of Olympic Park: which is a useful skill set for the Hawks as they develop Dingley...

And the bonus: it may get up Eddies nose to see him at the Hawks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News All things CEO and board related in here - Gaudry, Stevenson Garvey out, Kennett in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back