News All things CEO and board related in here - Gaudry, Stevenson Garvey out, Kennett in

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically Burt is not doing the job , of keeping clarko in check , that fagan did .
We all love clarko and don’t want him to change , so you can guess who I want replaced.

Not expecting too many details, sounds like you have a reasonably close understanding of what's been going on.....

So not specifics, but what does an 'unchecked Clarko' look like?
Does he tell everyone else what to do as opposed to understanding some jobs are better left delegated, is it list management/control/contracts that he wants his hands in, or does he just not take suggestions from upper management well?

Understand if you're uncomfortable saying too much, but I've kind of always wondered what people are referring to when describing how important Fages and others can be to keeping Clarko in his most productive lane......

Anyone know what the article in The Australian says about our former CEO and her personal problems? Article is paywallled.

Her husband had a serious heart attack days into her tenure with us.

wo
Which would be odd if we then just replace her with Lethlean.

Personally I don't think having an affair makes you a bad employee so his sacking was only done for optics. But the optics of sacking the first female CEO so early and then replacing her for a bloke who was sacked for having an affair isn't sensational.

That said, if Gaudry wasn't getting the job done and Lethlean will - then I am happy to see him come on board.
worrying about optics, like appointing a female CEO is the worst way to make a decision.

wo

worrying about optics, like appointing a female CEO is the worst way to make a decision.

Good thing that her CV on paper was fine then and the club didn't hire her based on identity reasons.

There was nothing wrong with her qualifications. Her CV was impressive. Was all to do with her personality and people management.

Why did the process take so long? What skills did she have that made her a better candidate than some of the other well credentialled AFL administrators at the time, some of whom were allegedly available? Why was the board split on her appointment? Was she not president in her previous roles rather than ceo? Rather different jobs.

There's clearly white lies being offered. Whether the truth is bad or very bad is what most are thinking

I think you are spot on Pess. I reckon the club knows it got itself in to a mess and is scrambling to get out of it.

Mind you the response of certain sections of the media is a bloody joke. In fairness to Caro at least she didn't blame it on her gender.

Last edited:
So got rid of gaudy who ruffled feathers both in the club and at the afl. Told it how it is etc
Cheers
Got back Kennett who will do the same thing

President and CEO vastly different roles. More than happy for Jeff to stick it up the flotsam that was Vlad his replacement Captain Polo not to mention three chins at Collingwood.

Why did the process take so long? What skills did she have that made her a better candidate than some of the other well credentialled AFL administrators at the time, some of whom were allegedly available? Why was the board split on her appointment? Was she not president in her previous roles rather than ceo? Rather different jobs.

Process took so long because of Garvey, not Gaudry. Evans didn't come on board because Garvey wouldn't hire him without going through the process.

Gaudry had been CEO of the Amy Gillett Foundation for 5 years. She's also been a GM at the corporate level (for 6 years) and at Athletics Australia. Holding those level of positions is usually a springboard into a CEO position. She's also got two undergraduate degrees as well as a Masters in management from ANU. She was also an athlete herself and had worked for multiple sporting bodies including ASADA.

On paper the appointment made sense. Gaudry just didn't perform in the role. This can happen to men and women. Only need to look at Garvey who missed out on Evans. Did he make that mistake because he was a man? No, he made a mistake because he's human - like all of us are.

Process took so long because of Garvey, not Gaudry. Evans didn't come on board because Garvey wouldn't hire him without going through the process.

Gaudry had been CEO of the Amy Gillett Foundation for 5 years. She's also been a GM at the corporate level (for 6 years) and at Athletics Australia. Holding those level of positions is usually a springboard into a CEO position. She's also got two undergraduate degrees as well as a Masters in management from ANU. She was also an athlete herself and had worked for multiple sporting bodies including ASADA.

You can hardly compare being CEO of Amy Gillett to an AFL club. Every person and their dog has a degree or two these days. so thats hardly something to get excited about. Nor does ASADA have the best reputation going around.

Nothing in that cv remotely stands out to me. Compare that to say the cv of Stuart Fox.

Lets hope they do better this time.

Good thing that her CV on paper was fine then and the club didn't hire her based on identity reasons.

In your opinion. I am sure quite a few wouldnt necessarily share it.

You can hardly compare being CEO of Amy Gillett to an AFL club. Every person and their dog has a degree or two these days. so thats hardly something to get excited about. Nor does ASADA have the best reputation going around.

Nothing in that cv remotely stands out to me. Compare that to say the cv of Stuart Fox.

Lets hope they do better this time.

In your opinion. I am sure quite a few wouldnt necessarily share it.

ANU isn't exactly Open Universities - to have a Masters from there is pretty impressive. A mate of mine did an MBA at ANU and it was no walk in the park.

You can diminish her experience at Amy Gillett and ASADA all you like - are you equally dismissive of her 8-9 years in senior roles at Jacobs and Ernst and Young? That is a bit Shania Twain and doesn't impress you much? If so, then you're just being a dick.

Compare her to Stuart Fox. Okay. Mr Fox has a degree from the University of Ballarat (which a Commerce and Science degree from Deakin trumps a tad) and did a post-graduate course at Stanford - which probably stacks up to ANU. Gaudry still ahead on education. Fox has very little corporate experience, was in a role at the City of Geelong (local government - hardly jumping off the page at me) and then did 9 years at Geeong before coming to the Hawks. So Fox would have an edge in sports administration - but we need someone with a bit more than just sports admin to help us transition to Dingley. They both have their pluses and minuses.

You're obviously anti-Gaudry and are probably beating the 'she was picked because she has a vagina' drum - so I dare say no level of information will make you recant on that. That said - if you find a Masters at ANU and 9 years in a GM role in 2 NYSE-listed companies to be mundane then your CV must be amazing!!

[QUOTE="89Adopter, post: 52941994, member: 135754
You're obviously anti-Gaudry and are probably beating the 'she was picked because she has a vagina' drum [/QUOTE]

What a load of tosh. Fox worked for a long time with the bloke widely considered to be the best football administrator going around. Plenty of people have MBA's, they are nothing special (Deakin hardly worlds best uni) and hardly a guarantee of performance.

She failed. And very quickly.

Yet here you are defending her and accusing others of being sexist. Rather silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a load of tosh. Fox worked for a long time with the bloke widely considered to be the best football administrator going around. Plenty of people have MBA's, they are nothing special (Deakin hardly worlds best uni) and hardly a guarantee of performance.

She failed. And very quickly.

Yet here you are defending her and accusing others of being sexist. Rather silly.

I've happily conceded she failed. I'm not arguing that point. I've supported her sacking consistently in this thread.

Her CV, however, can't be argued against despite how hard you've tried and how many goalposts you've shifted.

I've happily conceded she failed. I'm not arguing that point. I've supported her sacking consistently in this thread.

Her CV, however, can't be argued against despite how hard you've tried and how many goalposts you've shifted.
I'd say her CV can be argued against now based on the result, there have been questions about the club's due diligence in the process, it may be that her CV was not as good as it looked on the surface.

I'd say her CV can be argued against now based on the result, there have been questions about the club's due diligence in the process, it may be that her CV was not as good as it looked on the surface.

I am not arguing about her performance though - I am arguing about the quality of the CV. On paper it stacks up. I couldn't tell you the amount of times in my corporate life that I have seen people who interview well, have good references and a great looking CV turn out to be a poor choice down the track. You can only do so much due diligence but in the end unless the person has run another AFL club (which is a luxury you won't always have) you are probably not going to know exactly how they're going to perform in the role.

In retrospect we should have gone with Evans as soon as we could have - but alas Garvey didn't go that way. I don't think Garvey acted improperly and I am sure that he, and the others on the board who supported him, thought they were making the right choice. It wasn't - and heads have rolled appropriately.

All that said - if our next CEO had 9 years of experience at a GM level at reputable multi-national companies, had sports administration experience, was a pro athlete themselves and had post-graduate management qualifications from ANU - I would again be pretty impressed by them on paper.

When all's said and done the Gaudry affair seems to have been a lot less messy than the Fantasia on - and I don't remember the president of the time standing down over that. (unless it was Garvey thats two strikes) Maybe Im just pessimistic thinking theres much more going on

When all's said and done the Gaudry affair seems to have been a lot less messy than the Fantasia on - and I don't remember the president of the time standing down over that. (unless it was Garvey thats two strikes) Maybe Im just pessimistic thinking theres much more going on

Because a CEO is slightly more important, particularly at this juncture of the club, than a head of football operations. Screwing something up as important as selecting a CEO of the club is definitely something you should have to step down for.

Because a CEO is slightly more important, particularly at this juncture of the club, than a head of football operations. Screwing something up as important as selecting a CEO of the club is definitely something you should have to step down for.

apparently the Fantasia pay out was five figures

Her CV certainly stacks up, but:

The questions - or lack thereof - asked by the club or whatever executive search company they engaged to find a new CEO did not dig deep enough into her personality. As I've said in previous posts, the behaviours she is said to have displayed would have been exhibited in previous roles ... you don't just become disengaged from senior staff shortly after taking on a new role. If it's true this is one of the things that put her offside, along with alienating herself from senior AFL staff, it's a trait that would have been obvious to colleagues, underlings and bosses in previous workplaces.

For a CEO to last such a short space of time is a major, major stuff up. We've effectively gone one year without any off-field leadership at a time where Dingley and an AFLW bid were of such importance.

I am not arguing about her performance though - I am arguing about the quality of the CV. On paper it stacks up. I couldn't tell you the amount of times in my corporate life that I have seen people who interview well, have good references and a great looking CV turn out to be a poor choice down the track. You can only do so much due diligence but in the end unless the person has run another AFL club (which is a luxury you won't always have) you are probably not going to know exactly how they're going to perform in the role.

In retrospect we should have gone with Evans as soon as we could have - but alas Garvey didn't go that way. I don't think Garvey acted improperly and I am sure that he, and the others on the board who supported him, thought they were making the right choice. It wasn't - and heads have rolled appropriately.

All that said - if our next CEO had 9 years of experience at a GM level at reputable multi-national companies, had sports administration experience, was a pro athlete themselves and had post-graduate management qualifications from ANU - I would again be pretty impressed by them on paper.
By all accounts someone had the blinkers on about the hire and it was pushed through, thats where due diligence fails, the right questions were not asked of the right people to verify that what was on paper and presented in interviews was correct.
Now as you say, if they had gone down that path she still could have come out as the candidate of choice and still would not have worked out, I just don't think the situation was dealt with correctly from day one

By all accounts someone had the blinkers on about the hire and it was pushed through, thats where due diligence fails, the right questions were not asked of the right people to verify that what was on paper and presented in interviews was correct.
Now as you say, if they had gone down that path she still could have come out as the candidate of choice and still would not have worked out, I just don't think the situation was dealt with correctly from day one

Don't disagree with any of that to be honest. My main arguments over the last few posts were not about the quality of Gaudry's character - it was more to do with people questioning her CV. If I had a Masters from ANU and had been a GM at two incredibly reputable companies I would be a bit pissed off if someone was saying that was just a walk in the park. Again (and not aimed at you) I would love to see the CV of those saying 'nothing stood out' about Gaudry's credentials.

Just passing on some info...(also posted in the Kennett thread).

"We are back to being a real Hawthorn Football Club"

The change has had an immediate impact on the morale on a number of those within the club, particularly in the footy and marketing departments,

It's highly unlikely the next CEO won't have a footy connect. Jeff will scour the next in line at each club.

And we won't be waiting nearly 8 months.

We approached a highly regarded opposition staffer last time, but he reneged on the 'process' because he did not want to compromise his work with that club, as our consultant at the time told him he would have to sign onto at least four interviews over six weeks. This was the sort of exhaustive process we had in place that ultimately went against finding the best person for the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

News All things CEO and board related in here - Gaudry, Stevenson Garvey out, Kennett in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back