Mega Thread All things Heritier Lumumba (Good luck H. Thread closed)

What do you think of Heritier possibly going?

• Too much drama - let him go

Votes: 204 64.2%
  • Not a good footballer anymore - let him go

Votes: 75 23.6%
  • We should try to hang onto him

Votes: 40 12.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have some difficulty in seeing Varcoe as fair compensation for H. Harry would be best 22 every week whereas I can see Varcoe becoming Clinton Young Mach 2. Surely a swap in draft picks would also be required.
Absolutely agree. We cannot afford another off and on player, especially with a lack of consistency.

I have some difficulty in seeing Varcoe as fair compensation for H. Harry would be best 22 every week whereas I can see Varcoe becoming Clinton Young Mach 2. Surely a swap in draft picks would also be required.
I'd be shocked if we pick up Varcoe before any Greenwood trade is done. Unlike Brisbane, we should get the main target, Greenwood, over the line considering anything else.

H stays until we get Greenwood. We could offer 30 for Varcoe after that if that's where we value him.

I found an interesting comparison between Varcoe and a currently listed Collingwood player (who is regularly a target for scorn from some quarters) earlier today - I wont mention who it is before you click on the link, but after seeing it I'm sure many of you will be rather surprised (and perhaps somewhat taken aback):

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3205&tid2=10&pid2=1621&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

Kinda puts things into perspective doesn't it - the difference in disposal efficiency could be attributed at least in part to the higher ratio of contested possessions for the Collingwood player.

I found an interesting comparison between Varcoe and a currently listed Collingwood player (who is regularly a target for scorn from some quarters) earlier today - I wont mention who it is before you click on the link, but after seeing it I'm sure many of you will be rather surprised (and perhaps somewhat taken aback):

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3205&tid2=10&pid2=1621&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

Kinda puts things into perspective doesn't it - the difference in disposal efficiency could be attributed at least in part to the higher ratio of contested possessions for the Collingwood player.
Blair gets a lot of flak because he takes games off kids with more upside, which is exactly what Varcoe will be doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In response to the thread title. A bag of twisties. For the Pies sake preferably chicken, rather than cheese. That ridiculously high knee lift whilst running on the spot, or around in circles (haven't seen anyone that "looks" to be going faster whilst actually not doing so).That failure to give the first/sensible option to someone in the clear while trying to unsuccessfully evade two/three opponents. Those 49 metre long bombs into the forward line to...nothing/the opposition. Oh Princely one, forgive my harsh assessment, it's been a hard day.

So what you're actually saying is they're as shit as each other, point taken.

Three way trade?

Collingwood lose: Pick 5, Pick 30, Lamumba
Melbourne lose: Clarke, Trengove, Watts
Geelong lose: Varcoe

Collingwood gain: Trengove, Watts, Varcoe
Melbourne gain: Pick 5, Pick 30, Lamumba
Geelong gain: Clarke

I actually think this would be a good idea for us, as we are unlikely to get a combination of talents like that - Trengove and Watts that is, I don't particularly rate Varcoe but it is clear we are going for him - with the two picks. They are both still 23 years old as well. Melbourne have had lower offers of pick 10 and pick 12 for Trengove so might go for it.

....runs and hides.

Three way trade?

Collingwood lose: Pick 5, Pick 30, Lamumba
Melbourne lose: Clarke, Trengove, Watts
Geelong lose: Varcoe

Collingwood gain: Trengove, Watts, Varcoe
Melbourne gain: Pick 5, Pick 30, Lamumba
Geelong gain: Clarke

I actually think this would be a good idea for us, as we are unlikely to get a combination of talents like that - Trengove and Watts that is, I don't particularly rate Varcoe but it is clear we are going for him - with the two picks. They are both still 23 years old as well. Melbourne have had lower offers of pick 10 and pick 12 for Trengove so might go for it.

....runs and hides.
I would suggest stay hiding there Boris. Pick 5 and 30 for what could be claimed are two Melbourne mediocre performers ( not as individuals, but neither has lived up to their draft selection). You would pick neither of them with pick 5, and probably not the other with pick 30. From what I've see, Lafumbler is preferable to Varcoe to boot.
No applying for Hines position whenever it's vacated, for you.

I would suggest stay hiding there Boris. Pick 5 and 30 for what could be claimed are two Melbourne mediocre performers ( not as individuals, but neither has lived up to their draft selection). You would pick neither of them with pick 5, and probably not the other with pick 30. From what I've see, Lafumbler is preferable to Varcoe to boot.
No applying for Hines position whenever it's vacated, for you.

Haha fair enough. As I said I don't rate Varcoe but we are clearly going for him so I don't think there is any point ignoring that. He will definitely be a factor in the Prince trade whether I like it or not (I don't).

I thought picks 5 and 30 was fair for Watts and Trengove, because I think Melbourne would want approximately pick 10 for Trengove and 20 for Watts, so we would be over and under respectively. They both have huge upside/talent but haven't put it together for some reason. At 23 it could be the time when they explode. Perhaps some later draft pick swaps in our favour may even it up?

Haha fair enough. As I said I don't rate Varcoe but we are clearly going for him so I don't think there is any point ignoring that. He will definitely be a factor in the Prince trade whether I like it or not (I don't).

I thought picks 5 and 30 was fair for Watts and Trengove, because I think Melbourne would want approximately pick 10 for Trengove and 20 for Watts, so we would be over and under respectively. They both have huge upside/talent but haven't put it together for some reason. At 23 it could be the time when they explode. Perhaps some later draft pick swaps in our favour may even it up?
Always worries me this term "huge upside" though Boris. Watts may or may not have it (I don't think so), and as for Trengrove, well I think he's a bit Scully like. Meh.
Lets be truthful both players are stained with there "Melbourneness". Can it be removed? Its a risk either way. But I think the supporter base would be more accepting/forgiving of the club if went to the draft table with pick 5 and 30, and failed.

I'd rather hang on to 5 than lose it as part of a deal for Trengove and Watts.

If we were going to package up pick 5 I'd hope it would be to move us up the order.

If we end up losing Beams for a handful of second and third level players we are in an even worse place than I think we are. That will amount to "save the coach" strategy and limit the downside for 2015. Losing Beams means we have to rebuild becasue we were never getting a gun in to replace him. Half arsed second and third level players are disasterous middle ground.

Really surprised by all the hate that Varcoe is getting especially since he usually tends to play pretty well against us. His two way running and pressure is something we've really lacked lately. There are a lot of people on this board who seem to think that players shouldn't be recruited to the club unless they are a star or under 21 with limitless potential. We simply can't operate that way you look at pretty much any premiership team of recent memory and they have recycled players who were cast off by other teams. Recycled players are extremely important to any teams list management. Did anyone think Leigh Brown was going to be as important as he was when we recruited him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back