Am I alone in thinking Gibbs is a better player than Murphy?

Remove this Banner Ad

outabounds

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2009
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Both good players but I just see Marc Murphy getting muscled out of too many contests, he isn't strong enough to shake tags. I think Gibbs has taken a step up and he offers a bigger body and the versatility to go forward or back and play taller.
I would not hesitate in taking Gibbs over Murphy.

Gibbs is way better, sadly Murph is not physically imposing enough and can't break a tag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy is at his best when he's not the number 1 midfielder, see 2011 with Judd firing. With Gibbs elevating and daisy hopefully stepping up to peak performance soon hopefully the pressure can be taken off murph and we will see a bit more. ATM yes Gibbs is better imo.

I wouldnt say Murphy cant shake a tag like all tags defeat him

Tonight he got stuck with a bloke who didnt even try to look at the ball, and he was relatively effective

He has plenty of 25+ disposal games where hes been tagged

And breaking a tag is a team effort, needs support around the ball, not sure how much he got, but with a goal and some touches I wouldnt say he had a shocker tonight by any means

Gibbs is in a purple patch and would be harder to tag, but are we acting like thats a problem?

Murph has and will continue to break tags, didnt have his best game tonight but who did? We were soundly beaten by a better team

Both good players but I just see Marc Murphy getting muscled out of too many contests, he isn't strong enough to shake tags. I think Gibbs has taken a step up and he offers a bigger body and the versatility to go forward or back and play taller.
I would not hesitate in taking Gibbs over Murphy.
i hate to agree but i do!!!1

i was so wrong about gibbs

he's really growing into his role

On current form Gibbs is performing better but there's a reason why Murphy gets the hard tag.
It'd be nice for others to step up alongside them though, after Murphy, Gibbs and Judd our midfield stocks are pretty meh..

Gibbs is clearly better on current form, but I am confident Murphy will come back better next year. He's far from finished.

If Murph continues to struggle it might be time to make the hard call and relieve him of the captaincy to let him focus on just his game. Once again, Murphy had a relatively simple shot last night from 30-40 out, which didn't even make the distance. What's going on with that? Can't blame the tag for that. He used to have those for breakfast.

Next season I hope will see Thomas benefitting from a full season with his new club, Curnow continuing on an upward trajectory, maybe Judd going around again, Cripps taking another step and blokes like Bell, Doc, Carrots and Robbo contributing through the midfield. Not a bad bunch of players if we can get them firing, and then it won't be just down to Murphy/Gibbs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I alone in thinking Gibbs is a better player than Murphy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back