American Shae McNamara trying to make the Magpie Team!

Remove this Banner Ad

bretigan

Debutant
Nov 5, 2009
milwaukee, wi
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NFL - NBA - and MLB
Hi,

Well, you mates might have a true American Pie playing footy for you. I know that footy gets very little attention in the states, as I am from there. I am hoping he makes the team, and if he does, I think that would be great on helping promote your sport in America, and as the uncle of Shae, I get to promote him. :)

Now, if Shae does make the team, which looks like the Magpies are giving him a shot. Your team needs to be nice to him. See, in America, we play football with pads. You guys are crazy. ;)

Anyway, just thought I would welcome Shae McNamara to your part of the world.

Oh, here is the Video that you can watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hCx1D00xlg&feature=player_embedded

Bret

Thanks for posting the link, he's an interesting prospect. Physically he is off the charts, 6'8, very quick and agile, he could be a mobile ruckman or even a key forward (like Tippet from the Crows who also comes from a basketball background).

He seems to be reasonably good at marking (catching) the ball but I guess the question is whether he can develop his kicking and handballing skills to an adequate level, as well develop a knowledge of the subtleties and tactics of the game. AFL clubs are getting better at dealing with people converting to AFL from other sports, but usually it is Irish players who have played Gaelic football, or Australians who play other sports but have at least been exposed to AFL from a young age.

I assume he has never played an actual game of AFL. I suggest the best move would be for him to find a club and play amateur football next year so that recruiters can at least see how he looks playing the game for real.

Good luck to him.

Thanks for posting the link, he's an interesting prospect. Physically he is off the charts, 6'8, very quick and agile, he could be a mobile ruckman or even a key forward (like Tippet from the Crows who also comes from a basketball background).

He seems to be reasonably good at marking (catching) the ball but I guess the question is whether he can develop his kicking and handballing skills to an adequate level, as well develop a knowledge of the subtleties and tactics of the game. AFL clubs are getting better at dealing with people converting to AFL from other sports, but usually it is Irish players who have played Gaelic football, or Australians who play other sports but have at least been exposed to AFL from a young age.

I assume he has never played an actual game of AFL. I suggest the best move would be for him to find a club and play amateur football next year so that recruiters can at least see how he looks playing the game for real.

Good luck to him.

Already Signed with the Pies as a International Rookie

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/86785/default.aspx

Good luck to him!

But if he gets delisted after two years there will be a lot of non-pie supporters singing "Bye, Bye, Mr American Pie" :p

Even though he plays for the Pies I kind of hope he's the next big thing. Would market this game so nicely. The biggest thing holding us back, imo, is our ruleset and the fact it's constantly changing.

To an overseas audience this would be extremely absurd.

Well if it's anything like NFL in Australia it will find an audience. You just need a channel to run with it, and keep running with it. Channel one with the NFL is prime example. I hated NFL this time last year and now I love it. I also have an interest with Rocca playing for the eagles.

It's amazing what showing a continual sport on tv can do for it, just take NBL. When it was on ten it was huge in Australia. Now it's not on free to air and nobody cares.

If you want to get hooked on NFL check out 1, next Monday about 1pm, Colts (8-0) and New England (6-2), should be a ripper.

And speaking of rule changes, that sport is full of em as well.

BTW best of luck to Shae and I hope he can make an impact. I will be down at a few VFL games next year so I will report back on how he is going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've gotta say the original AFL training video he put out made me chuckle.

But I'd be more than happy for him to prove me wrong. Very atheltic guy. And it's not like our own premiership ruckman has the best foot skills going around. Good luck to Shae.

I'm really confused.
Surely if he was any good at any american sport, he'd be out there playing that, for at least hundreds of thousands per year, even if it was some bollocks minor league team.
Rookie contract is around $40k AU?

And I reckon @ 24, he's left his run too late.

Can't believe it that he made it. Im happy that he ended up coming to collingwood. Hope he can make it all the way to the senior team! but for now, train. :):thumbsu:
oh and we are going back to america soon so you wont be that home sick haha

Surely there is a tall guy somewhere in Australia that knows how to kick a football?

Tall enough for the ruck?? There aren't that many of them in Australia!! Just ask Hawthorn or Richmond or us before we drafted Jolly. He takes up an international rookie spot so he isn't any risk. No need to be so pessimistic about it, an American playing AFL would be great for the game.

I'm really confused.
Surely if he was any good at any american sport, he'd be out there playing that, for at least hundreds of thousands per year, even if it was some bollocks minor league team.
Rookie contract is around $40k AU?

And I reckon @ 24, he's left his run too late.

He was very good at American sports. Surely even you can appreciate how hard it would be to cut it in basketball at the highest level in America. He played basketball in Germany - and the European basketball leagues are hardly chump leagues.

At 24 its easy to be pessimistic about his chances but looking at his mprovement in a short space of time and the guys attitude I think he's every chance of making it. And wouldn't that be great for the game!!!

He was very good at American sports. Surely even you can appreciate how hard it would be to cut it in basketball at the highest level in America. He played basketball in Germany - and the European basketball leagues are hardly chump leagues.

At 24 its easy to be pessimistic about his chances but looking at his mprovement in a short space of time and the guys attitude I think he's every chance of making it. And wouldn't that be great for the game!!!
I would literally be amazed if he even made a half-decent VFL player.
Good on him for having a crack though, personally I'm surprised Collingwood have used a rookie spot when they could have just signed him to their VFL team and taken a more "normal" kid in the rookie draft.

Good on him for having a crack though, personally I'm surprised Collingwood have used a rookie spot when they could have just signed him to their VFL team and taken a more "normal" kid in the rookie draft.

Mike Pyke came to the swans as a 24 year old having never played a game in his life and was in the senior team in his first year. I realise he didn't exactly set the world alight but it shows that if you have the attributes, it doesn't take a miracle to adapt to our game.

Why??? Have you seen any of his videos??? Have you in any way based that opinion on anything??? I'm sure the Collingwood coaching staff saw enough in him to say yeah he's got a shot at making it. They wouldn't have bothered with him otherwise. There have been plenty of Basketballers with limited AFL experience go on to be very good AFL players - Brogan at Port is a good example, Tippett and Pendlebury are others.

Also he doesn't take up a rookie spot. He is an "international rookie" which means he is outside the rookie quota - in other words he doesn't take up a list spot at all. Which means aside from the financial investment in him he is risk free.

If you watch the videos of him it isn't going to be a lack of athletic ability that will hold him back. It's his skills (which are improving considerably) and learning the intricacies of the game, positioning, rucking etc which will determine whether he makes it. He's already a very good mark and has good control of the ball when its on the ground judging by the vidoes. Coming from a multiple sports background in Basketball, Soccer and Grid Iron will be a big help. As will having a professional coaching and development system around him.

My wife says Shae is Normal! ;) There is absolutely nothing wrong with him. I tried to tell her that the comment probably is because Shae didn't grow up with the sport. Thanks for all the wonderful support. Can't wait until I tell him... Shae.

Bret

Remove this Banner Ad

American Shae McNamara trying to make the Magpie Team!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back