Moved Thread And so Essendon's inevitable slide begins.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great win to the Bombers no mean feat to win at Subiaco against either west australian team congrats.

Dont think they will slide out of the 8 but need to see them beat some other top 8 sides to judge a bit better. West coast win while good was made eaaier by injury and being at etihad rest of wins are all the bottom
Teams and also lost to dees. Find it hard to rate them, can only beat who u play

Dont think they will slide out of the 8 but need to see them beat some other top 8 sides to judge a bit better. West coast win while good was made eaaier by injury and being at etihad rest of wins are all the bottom
Teams and also lost to dees. Find it hard to rate them, can only beat who u play

Adelaide and the Hawks are the two games. We've beaten Carlton when they were playing top 4 footy, lost by a point to the Pies when they were in top form, Ran out of time against the Swans. Pretty even year imo.

FWIW - The Swans are yet to play Coll, WC and Carl and can't win at the G so don;t get too comfortable.

Sustainable? Mate you just proved in your statement that Essendon are able to sustain full match efforts across the board, even in losses.
The fact is that whilst there are many moons to come before a GF/Premiership arrives Essendon is playing hard and accountable footy and it's working for us, its supporters.
September aint that far away and no one will want to play us.

Cheers!

Negative . Of all the teams looking likely to play finals, ess is the team I would most love to play. Not one genuine A grade midfielder ( case could be made for Watson I suppose) is not going to get ess far against the likes of Coll wce or haw

Essendon have a lot to prove yet. Last nights win was pleasing, but a long way to go.

After a loss Fuzzy is quick to bump this thread. Where are you now Fuzzy? Or do you only have the balls to show yourself when we lose? :rolleyes:

Negative . Of all the teams looking likely to play finals, ess is the team I would most love to play. Not one genuine A grade midfielder ( case could be made for Watson I suppose) is not going to get ess far against the likes of Coll wce or haw

Where am I, 2006?

Seriously mate, It's fine you don't rate us but you're just showing your stupidity here.

after you thrashed us on Anzac day with your good players playing well and us playing like shit I'm not surprised you have that attitide hey?

Last round game as well, I guess you're expecting a "cakewalk" there too?

Meeting in the finals...One can only hope...

I hate the 'letter' gradings for players, but if one must use them....Watson is clearly an 'A-grader'.

If you think otherwise you're either biased and/or clueless.

Not one genuine A grade midfielder ( case could be made for Watson I suppose)

sloth.gif

At the start of the year I got ridiculed by essendon fans by saying they were the weakest 3-0 side ever. I knew sooner or later they would show their true colours. They are simply cracking under some fantastic pressure by Sydney. I and others tried to tell them but they wouldn't listen. But after last week and tonight they have to face that truth. They are going to be one of the worst top 4 sides we've seen. Expect them to limp into the top 4 and get thrashed in the finals.

This is the kind of pressure they will have to face in finals. They are a long way off it.

LOL. Good Luck next week to the Doggies!

Couldn't fathom how any side could lose to that Brisbane side... at home... by 10 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win, blown off the Perth & June hoodoos.
Hate to see Jobe Watson go down with an injury for the rest of the season, how would you guys even cover it...

Good side. Well coached too. Hird completely changed tactics in the last, flooded their forward half and we couldn't get it out. I'm not a student enough of tactics to say specifically what he did but it changed the tempo of the game and we couldn't get the ball moving fluently as we had been.
Good game to watch last night.

Good win, blown off the Perth & June hoodoos.
Hate to see Jobe Watson go down with an injury for the rest of the season, how would you guys even cover it...

We covered it pretty well when Watson was injured last season by beating eventual premiers Geelong, Richmond & Adelaide in Adelaide.

Overrated side, Darcy's obsession with them in particular is cringeworthy.

Would LOVE to play them in the finals.

Overrated side, Darcy's obsession with them in particular is cringeworthy.

Would LOVE to play them in the finals.

If we make top 4 and play a QF against the Crows I'll be licking my lips. Not because it will be an easy game, but it means we've avoided the Pies or Eagles away.

Re: the above poster who claimed our game is not sustainable. We almost ran down the Swans and dominated Freo away in the 4th. No problem at all about lasting the season - just a question of whether we're good enough.

Adelaide and the Hawks are the two games. We've beaten Carlton when they were playing top 4 footy, lost by a point to the Pies when they were in top form, Ran out of time against the Swans. Pretty even year imo.

FWIW - The Swans are yet to play Coll, WC and Carl and can't win at the G so don;t get too comfortable.
That's not quite true. The Pies' previous two weeks consisted of a thrashing by the Blues and a five goal win at home to the Power. Hardly convincing form. Was a 50/50 game against Essendaon, which kind of eventuated, given the result. But lucky for you guys your best players didn't play well and are guaranteed to do so next time we meet.

Good side. Well coached too. Hird completely changed tactics in the last, flooded their forward half and we couldn't get it out. I'm not a student enough of tactics to say specifically what he did but it changed the tempo of the game and we couldn't get the ball moving fluently as we had been.
Good game to watch last night.

Wasn't so much that Hird changed tactics, but Lyon's old defense at all costs mentality came out, and as soon as Essendon got their noses in front, he threw an extra player back. You don't win games by sacrificing attack for defense, you save games doing that. He is a twat, and Freo stuffed up getting rid of Harvey.

Wasn't so much that Hird changed tactics, but Lyon's old defense at all costs mentality came out, and as soon as Essendon got their noses in front, he threw an extra player back. You don't win games by sacrificing attack for defense, you save games doing that. He is a twat, and Freo stuffed up getting rid of Harvey.
Thank you for that well considered and insightful input. I did wonder how someone was going to manage to take a pot at Lyon for what was a free flowing and entertaining game of footy.
My impression at the ground was definitely that Essendon instigated a flood of their own forward 50 in an attempt to keep the ball in their half and it seemed to work. After a seesawing contest it was about who managed the last 7 or 8 minutes better, Freo panicked, ran out of run and Essendon took the points. I repeat, excellent game to watch.

Thank you for that well considered and insightful input. I did wonder how someone was going to manage to take a pot at Lyon for what was a free flowing and entertaining game of footy.
My impression at the ground was definitely that Essendon instigated a flood of their own forward 50 in an attempt to keep the ball in their half and it seemed to work. After a seesawing contest it was about who managed the last 7 or 8 minutes better, Freo panicked, ran out of run and Essendon took the points. I repeat, excellent game to watch.

I agree for the most part the game was a cracker to watch, but 5 minutes into the last, Freo went with the extra man in defense, and that was the end of it for you. Every time you cleared the ball from your back 50, it came straight back in because we had the numbers at the fall of the ball. The effort from your boys was great, and when you were playing essentially a man on man style for the first 3 quarters, you were well in, or even ahead in the game. Not their fault that the coach doesn't believe in kicking goals to win games. At 1/2 time I said to the Freo supporter next to me that if we kicked 100 points for the game, Freo couldn't win, because they are almost incapable of kicking that high a score under the current coaching regime. I like Freo, a much more genuine team than their cross town rivals, but even most of their own supporters were surprised and a little disappointed with their treatment of Harvey and surprised that they went for Lyon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back