JohnK

All Australian
Aug 11, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
port adelaide sometimes
First, there is no one big problem except the observation that 2012 was all about the new coach. Was Brenton Sanderson good enough for the Adelaide Football Club and was the Adelaide Football Club good enough for Brenton Sanderson? That question was answered last year.

This year, the question is whether the Adelaide players are good enough for each other.

After Round Three, it's clear that there are problems on each line.

The forwards lack structure. This is a work in progress. Some creative redeployment may be needed. Nothing comes to mind except, perhaps, Ricky Henderson to be tried out as a CHF, to allow Taylor Walker to stay closer to goal.

The defenders lacks pace. This is not a work in progress. This will be a continuing problem this season, for which no-one has a solution.

The ruck lacks depth. Josh Jenkins is getting better and better, week by week, and the club has to stick with him. This will take time. Right now, Adelaide still has time.

The midfielders lack cohesion. There are a lot of them – Dangerfield, Thompson, Sloane, van Berlo, Vince, Mackay, Crouch, Douglas…
One upon a time, the theory was that if you constantly rotate your midfield from the bench, you remain fresh and confuse the opposition with their matchups. That's fine if you are controlling the game from the midfield. What's the strategy if none of your rotations work?
Is it time to stop rotating? I ask this. I don't know the answer.

Specific players. We are in a dangerous ground here and i hate slagging individual players but I have to say these things. Last year, in a wonderful season as a defender Brent Reilly gave away 21 frees in 22 games. In 2013, he's conceded nine frees in three games and most of them have damaged the team. He's been a superb clean defender and, entering this season, I thought he was Adelaide's most important player. I still think that. Recently, something has changed in his play, apart from the rules (or maybe because of the rules), and his coaches should notice it and arrest it.
In the last couple of years, Jared Petrenko has been a stunning opportunistic player, making maximum use of random and limited moments. This year, his coaches seem to be pushing him closer into the structural spine. He's trying very hard to do the job but it's not happening. Maybe he thinks he has to try too hard. Release him, coaches. Take the heat off him for another year and let him do his random thing, whatever it is, and where ever it is, without him thinking that he's performing under a spotlight.
And, Bernie Vince? What's happening this year, Bernie? Are you suddenly not interested any more? Do you want three or four weeks in the Twos? Be careful. It might happen. Or would you like to play for another team next year? Be careful. That might happen too, but it might not be the team you want. It might be Melbourne.

To me the problem is quite simple. We are not getting enough of the ball and our best midfielders (Sauce/Danger/Thommo/Van Berlo/) are not carrying us like they did last year.

In our breakout year of 2012 - our team averaged just under 3 players who got 25 possessions or more each game. In 2013 - we have had 3 players who have had 25+ possessions in 3 games.

I for the life of me, cannot understand how people come on here blaming players like Petrenko/Reilly/Jaensch etc.

Jaensch - I am all for dropping Jaensch back to the SANFL and never having him in Crows colours again (WTF was with calling for the footy when you have a player on your tail and Wright has a set shot from 40m out directly in front?!?!?), but he isn't the reason we are 1-2.

Petrenko - People are crazy. The guy is doing his role just fine. He is equal 3rd at our club for goals kicked (and is on target for a 30 goal season). Is equal 2nd for tackles and equal 2nd for goal assists at our club. Thats what he is in the side to do.

Danger is not the same player he was in 2012. Yes, he still has gamebreaking talent (those two goals against Brisbane) - but he has had possession count of 17,23,20. Add to this the fact that almost every single stat line of his is down in 2013 - Clearances/Tackles/1%/Marks/ Disposal efficiency. I am not sure whether its the extra attention or the fact that our midfield group has been found out - but we need more from him.

Van Berlo/Wright/Vince/Porps - well below last years form.

Mackay is one who frustrates the hell out of me. Is the most vanilla player we have. Have posted about him numerous times and not sure why so many love him. Has done one thing that made me take notice this year - his running goal against Essendon, but unfortunately 30 seconds before this his missed tackle cost us a goal and 2 minutes after his goal - his horrible turnover at half back cost us a goal. We all love the idea of a pacy midfielder with great disposal and thats why we persist. However after 3 average seasons and 3 very poor games in 2013 - maybe its time to realise that Mackay isn't this player.

Much of it stems from being thrashed in the ruck. Our midfield aren't as good when they have to win their own ball.

Our fitness too looks shite. To see Vince looking totally out of breath after coming on as the sub is pretty concerning.

Finally, our selections have been pretty uninspiring to say the least. Shuffling one shitty small forward for another and then back again, while our midfield is getting outgunned, is not good at all.

The Sando honeymoon is over.

It would be an interesting analysis over the years to compare the first few years of coaches into the Adelaide System

2012 Sando rewarded the selection panel with instant success and a team that got deep into the finals without much change to the team that was a debacle in 2011.

so far, 2013 the players who were so bad in 2011 are the ones letting Sando down - I wonder if Sandersons "spike" is going to come back and haunt him.

We have heard this story a few times before and the only person who ends up suffering is the coach.

Where is Lewis Johnstone at? Is he ready to be tried in your first 22?
Would have thought thats a strong possibility...

Kicked 7 in the SANFL on the weekend and positions may be opening up for him in the crows side...

IMO its all about attitude. Too many players seem to have entered the season arrogantly thinking one top four finish means we're Geelong. They don't seem to understand we haven't achieved anything yet.

Very very few are working hard enough, which makes the whole team look slow and insipid.

Much of it stems from being thrashed in the ruck. Our midfield aren't as good when they have to win their own ball.

Our fitness too looks shite. To see Vince looking totally out of breath after coming on as the sub is pretty concerning.

Finally, our selections have been pretty uninspiring to say the least. Shuffling one shitty small forward for another and then back again, while our midfield is getting outgunned, is not good at all.

Winner Winner,

This sums it up. Smashed in the ruck, leads to smashed on ball, we aren't fit enough to chase hard and shut down space, get burnt on the counter and at ground level.

Simple as that.

The fitness thing, we were still incredibly fit last year, following a pre-season dedicated largely to strength/weight work.

This year, our fitness seems down.

What're the chances we got lucky last year, in that Craig left a team with incredibly high fitness levels, Sando threw muscle onto them, and we had the best of both worlds?

IMO its all about attitude. Too many players seem to have entered the season arrogantly thinking one top four finish means we're Geelong. They don't seem to understand we haven't achieved anything yet.

Very very few are working hard enough, which makes the whole team look slow and insipid.

Ditto this comment!

The wheels aren't off the bus yet but they are wobbly! And, the honeymoon with Sando is well and truly over.

Just remember that the nucleus of this 2013 side are the same cattle that took us to 11th and 14th in 2010 and 2011.

Mutton dressed up as lamb, maybe?

Ditto this comment!

The wheels aren't off the bus yet but they are wobbly! And, the honeymoon with Sando is well and truly over.

Just remember that the nucleus of this 2013 side are the same cattle that took us to 11th and 14th in 2010 and 2011.

Mutton dressed up as lamb, maybe?

For me it's attitude, there were some passages of play last night from us that were classy and show that the skill level is definitely there. It comes down to our workrate and how much we want it. Time to weild the axe on a few guys and put selection pressure in the mix to motivate guys who are not playing close to 100 percent.

Run 100 metres at full speed and try not breathing heavy... its just the way the body works.

Not saying he is fit, but not necessarily unfit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling this loss will do wonders for our team.

Apart from a rude wake up call, it will serve as a platform to inject some of these fringe players that we keep hearing about dominating the SANFL. Kerridge, Lyons, Johnston, etc must all be in the frame now.

Several current first-team players need to remember what its like to lose your spot and have to earn it back. Send a message and chop some heads off.

I expect us to be breathing fire on sunday against WB.

Just watched Sando's presser. He wasn't a happy man as you would expect.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-14/sanderson-post-match-press-conference
Just reading between the lines sub vest for Porps last week a wake up...worked for Brisbane not sure of this game. Bernie sub vest..didn't work...expect Vince to go.
Were beaten inside the contest and outside the contest....that says we are slow. Need to get some players who are quicker...nothing new there.
Sauce's form is the biggest worry...do we need a better backup than Jenkins so he can stay forward?
Can't see Radar or Pets getting the chop...really don't think Sando has it in him to make the hard call...his line that the players drive their performance just doesn't ring true if they can serve that up against Port.
1-2 changes max adding in VB if injured.

Just watched Sando's presser. He wasn't a happy man as you would expect.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-14/sanderson-post-match-press-conference
Just reading between the lines sub vest for Porps last week a wake up...worked for Brisbane not sure of this game. Bernie sub vest..didn't work...expect Vince to go.
Were beaten inside the contest and outside the contest....that says we are slow. Need to get some players who are quicker...nothing new there.
Sauce's form is the biggest worry...do we need a better backup than Jenkins so he can stay forward?
Can't see Radar or Pets getting the chop...really don't think Sando has it in him to make the hard call...his line that the players drive their performance just doesn't ring true if they can serve that up against Port.
1-2 changes max adding in VB if injured.
doesn't give much away really.

Poor old Sauce.

that being said, Vince at least got a rocket.

Pissweak to use the sub as a 'last chance' situation.

If they aren't good enough to be in the side, then drop them.

You're right - the sub in our team usually seems to be the last man picked, as opposed to a tactical manoeuver.

Surely when you're playing two big men on a dry day, the sub needs to be a third tall.

You're right - the sub in our team usually seems to be the last man picked, as opposed to a tactical manoeuver.

Surely when you're playing two big men on a dry day, the sub needs to be a third tall.
I don't agree with this suggestion at all. By sheer virtue of numbers, the odds are that injuries are more likely to happen to mid-sized players. On the basis of replacing like-for-like, the sub should thus be a mid. It's helpful if they're someone like Henderson, who has the ability to play "tall" or "small", but that's just a bonus.

Play 3 talls and have a mid-sized sub; sub one of the talls off if we need more run.
This.

Sounds like Johnston is in good form. Get him in. Tex gathering 70m out and turnign to lace out hit Lewy seems a good option. I agree with those saying Tex is playing really well given his opportunities. I for one though his ability to win contests 50 to 70 out and turn and deliver into the stack of space behind him has bene really good. Just be better if there is another tall target to hit up. The beauty of it being Lewy is that you can switch them around without too much issue IF you use JJ as the crash packer and target Lewy/Tex in the space.

This.

Sounds like Johnston is in good form. Get him in. Tex gathering 70m out and turnign to lace out hit Lewy seems a good option. I agree with those saying Tex is playing really well given his opportunities. I for one though his ability to win contests 50 to 70 out and turn and deliver into the stack of space behind him has bene really good. Just be better if there is another tall target to hit up. The beauty of it being Lewy is that you can switch them around without too much issue IF you use JJ as the crash packer and target Lewy/Tex in the space.

What's happened to Tom Lynch?

I'd like to see Porps made a permanent forward.

He plays taller than he is with his great marking ability, plus he rarely burns easy chances.

Could provide a headache or two for oppositions. Like with Tex, I think the whole side would get a lift in confidence if he starts kicking a bag or two...

Remove this Banner Ad

And the problems are?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back