Draft Watcher andleanback's 2020 Draft Watch ** FINAL PHANTOM DRAFT **

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Phantom Draft ( 2 Rounds)

Obviously a few picks will change hands on draft night due to live trading and picks will move down depending where bids come.

1607330886309.png

1607330920167.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance to slide to 2nd round of the draft?
They could potentially, we havent seem them play this year so everyone is missing a crucial part of the picture. Though i did watch Cox play in a practice match in Feb and i thought he was outstanding, playing as the general of the backline, directing his team mates and cutting off any attack the opposition had.

The only things that surprised me from what he said was the Sandy Ruck he rates very highly (Heath?) and Cody Raak calls, everything else was similar to what has been discussed on here, JUH and Will Phillips getting big wraps and he name dropped Bruhn and a lot of f/s and academies guys, also he thinks this draft is deep and there's a strong top tier for 2021 draft.
Surpised me about Daicos a bit as well. Next years top end is elite but currently id have him way behind kids like Rachele, Sonsie, Sinn and Chesser.

Surpised me about Daicos a bit as well. Next years top end is elite but currently id have him way behind kids like Rachele, Sonsie, Sinn and Chesser.

I'm a massive Rachele fan, liked what Sonsie did last year as well, but if Daicos is as good as they say he is, he would need to be elite to compete with them for top 5.

The only things that surprised me from what he said was the Sandy Ruck he rates very highly (Heath?) and Cody Raak calls, everything else was similar to what has been discussed on here, JUH and Will Phillips getting big wraps and he name dropped Bruhn and a lot of f/s and academies guys, also he thinks this draft is deep and there's a strong top tier for 2021 draft.
The only thing stopping me from being a Raak shill is that he's an undersized KPD. If we see him more as a flanker/third tall intercept type i think he'd be more widely spoken about as top 25

I’m gonna do a bit of sleuthing, he did test 191cm at the pre season testing though and seems excessive to grow 3cm in 4 months.
3 Months, that article is a month old. It’s clearly wrong if you get measured at testing, there’s no reason to re measure yourself a couple of weeks later.

Recruiter Matt Rendell ( most recently collingwood)was just on Sen discussing this years draft and so on, he said some very interesting things.
Some interesting takeaways :

- Most likely no champs this year
- Vic metro will play Country in a game/ games
- Will be an exhibition game on grand final day like the futures game, except it’ll be this current draft crop again.
- He has Reef Mcinnes in the 20-30 range but he has a back problem and might not play this year.
- rated Cody raak potential top 20 (very surprising)
- Really excited by Sandringhams ruck after watching him in a practice match against oakleigh. Said he wasn’t on the radar last year but he rates him as a top 15 selection now.
- Really rates Jones port Adelaide NGA
- Was really keen on this years draft crop, said it has plenty of depth and stacks up to previous years.
- Said Nick Daicos is one of the best juniors he’s seen for his age and is potential pick 1 for ‘21 and definitely should go top 5.

Call me cynical but recent Collingwood recruiter talks up every clubs nga but the pies nga out of a football factory who looks like he was built in a lab to play the game and could have challenged for pick 1 with a move into the midfield this year is worth around pick 30? .... yeah right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Call me cynical but recent Collingwood recruiter talks up every clubs nga but the pies nga out of a football factory who looks like he was built in a lab to play the game and could have challenged for pick 1 with a move into the midfield this year is worth around pick 30? .... yeah right.
Pretty happy he didn’t mention any of the Lions academy kids.

Who’d he play for again?

Yeah it did raise eyebrows for me, as I rate him in the top 10. Though he did talk up Daicos for next year saying he think he could be the best out of the crop.

he did talk up Nick Daicos as possible pick 1. Exact same alledged motive in both cases. This is general public stuff does anyone really think hawks , doggies, saints recuiters are gong I was going to bid on Reef but that interview changed my mind. Clubs are professional they scount this kids. If they think Reef is value they will bid. I simply cannot accpet that this sort of radio interview influences recruiting.

he did talk up Nick Daicos as possible pick 1. Exact same alledged motive in both cases. This is general public stuff does anyone really think hawks , doggies, saints recuiters are gong I was going to bid on Reef but that interview changed my mind. Clubs are professional they scount this kids. If they think Reef is value they will bid. I simply cannot accpet that this sort of radio interview influences recruiting.

no they can probably see through it and make up their own mind. He is taking the piss though with Reef.

no they can probably see through it and make up their own mind. He is taking the piss though with Reef.

Maybe but I don't see the motivation. Different people see different players differently. He may well be quite away from consensus view on Reef and I deeply hope so. I think it;s more likely his view differ rather than he's leading people astray. but people will make their own judgements on that and i have been wrong before, as strange as that sounds.

Something that has been previously mentioned on a few posts on here, regarding kids eligibility to player managers. ALFPA investigating the Connor Sport camp last month.

Sidenote: Rankings update will be out either tonight or in the next day or so. Have a couple of SANFL games i need to watch from the weekend.

End of July Rankings
- Logan Mcdonald enters to the top 5 after exceptional wafl form.
- Jones, Poulter, Dumensy enter the top 30 after strong performances.
- Baldwin falls out of top 30 after another season ending injury

Players on the cusp: Blake Coleman, Jack Carroll, Tom Powell, Connor Downie.

1595986216303.png

Attachments

• 1595921947331.png
    1595921947331.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
What player would you liken Hollands to?

Is he more of a roaming mid / forward or powerful / explosive mid / forward?

What player would you liken Hollands to?

Is he more of a roaming mid / forward or powerful / explosive mid / forward?
A player comparison is a difficult one.

He can be classified as most of the above, i wouldnt say explosive mid currently, although his long kicking out of the middle will become a weapon. Last year he played as a roaming forward in the early rounds for Murray, then in the championships moreorless played as Country's CHF and in my opinion was unlucky not be awarded all Australian honours. Hollands finished school last year at Caufield and had moved back home to play a full season at Murray, where he wouldve made a full time move into the midfield with stints up forward. He's pretty much a dual sided kick (can kick 60 on right, easily 50 on his left), great decision maker, clean, good hands overhead and has excellent goal sense. If i had to compare him to someone id say hes got a bit of Luke Hodge in him (if hodge played fwd/mid in his career not defence/mid) and moves like him around the ground contest to contest, also Steve Johnson and a little bit of Connor Rozee. I wouldve loved to see him play a whole season of nab league this year to get a better read on what he could be come positional wise. Though coming into the afl system, he'll start off in the roaming half forward role (like Curtis Taylor does for North) as they build his body.

Hope that helps you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Watcher andleanback's 2020 Draft Watch ** FINAL PHANTOM DRAFT **

Remove this Banner Ad

Back