Andrew Dillon flags interest in bringing back State of Origin

Remove this Banner Ad

The prospect of a women's game of Australia Vs Ireland played under AFL rules is pretty awesome.

"AFLW players could represent Australia in a match against Irish-born AFLW players, with 35 Irish players already on club lists, or play their own State of Origin match, particularly with a national draft to be introduced next year. Given the number of Irish players in the AFLW, they could play a test match under AFL rules rather than the hybrid rules that have been written for international rules matches between the two countries."
Wouldn't be competitive unless Australia selects an under-21 or Indigenous all-stars team.

As something complementary to an SA v Vic women's match in Adelaide leading into the men's Gather Round, it'd be worth doing. But the availability of Irish players at that time of the year isn't a given.

3 round Knock out Comp

8 teams

New South Wales
Victoria
Queensland
South Australia
Western Australia
Tasmania
Northern Territory
Australian Capital Territory

Round One - Before Round 1 - 4 games
Semi Final - Mid Season Bye - 2 games
Final - Pre Finals Bye - 1 game

Teams seeded from previous State of Origin Series

1st v 8th , 2nd v 7th, 3rd v 6th , 4th v 5th

However it will al fall apart due to teams not allowing players to be available. Also ACT will almost certainly lose in the 1st round every year.

I'd love it. I miss seeing the Big V in action. But the AFL would have to organise it properly, which I have no confidence in that ever happenening.

3 round Knock out Comp

8 teams

New South Wales
Victoria
Queensland
South Australia
Western Australia
Tasmania
Northern Territory
Australian Capital Territory

Round One - Before Round 1 - 4 games
Semi Final - Mid Season Bye - 2 games
Final - Pre Finals Bye - 1 game

Teams seeded from previous State of Origin Series

1st v 8th , 2nd v 7th, 3rd v 6th , 4th v 5th

However it will al fall apart due to teams not allowing players to be available. Also ACT will almost certainly lose in the 1st round every year.
I like the general idea but I'd rather split Victoria into metro and country than have a separate NSW and ACT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Liverpool can give up their players for international games I think Hawthorn can give up their players for a couple of State of Origin games.

If you are willing to risk injuries and general wear and tear on your players for an inconsequential match I strongly encourage you to do so, the more of your players out there, the better.

But none of ours.

If you are willing to risk injuries and general wear and tear on your players for an inconsequential match I strongly encourage you to do so, the more of your players out there, the better.

But none of ours.

We are the only sport this insular. It is really quite selfish to be so insular and refuse to grow the game all because of personal greed.

If it was exclusively 2 states in perpetuity, sure it would probably succeed. But too many states dilutes the interest.

Maybe an best of 3 all star game Red vs Blue would probably work better but have no ties to any states.

Red team, fielded by odd teams on the premiership ladder.
Blue team, fielded by even teams on the premiership ladder.

These games are weighted heavily towards All Australian selections.

In no particular place or order.

Year 1, MCG / Marvel, Adelaide Oval, Gabba
Year 2, Optus Oval, SCG, Hobart

Darwin / Alice Springs / Canberra as alternate locations.

If Liverpool can give up their players for international games I think Hawthorn can give up their players for a couple of State of Origin games.

I think this is a silly comparison because Liverpool doesn't let their players go play in a gimmick match that means nothing and leads to nothing but carries all the risk of injury.

A higher level game is a higher level game, but there's no current WA or NSW AFL squad that the players are on retainer for.

I think this is a silly comparison because Liverpool doesn't let their players go play in a gimmick match that means nothing and leads to nothing but carries all the risk of injury.

A higher level game is a higher level game, but there's no current WA or NSW AFL squad that the players are on retainer for.

Liverpool sends their players off to play for their country, Hawthorn would be sending their players off to play for their state, which makes sense given soccer is an international game and AFL is a national game, so our version of an international game would be a state game.

Liverpool sends their players off to play for their country, Hawthorn would be sending their players off to play for their state, which makes sense given soccer is an international game and AFL is a national game, so our version of an international game would be a state game.

If there was a world cup equivalent, a higher honour competition, it would make sense.

But there is no state competition.

That's why I said Liverpool wouldn't let their players go play a gimmick game, because they won't. And State of Origin is a gimmick that goes nowhere currently in the AFL.

I'm not completely against it but there's a lot of obstacles to overcome with the disparity in quality from state to state as well as the fact that we already have a long season.

One way it could work...

Div A
VIC
SA
WA

Div B
NSW (+ACT)
QLD (+NT)
TAS

Each year we have a one week break where 2 teams from Div A play off and 2 teams from Div B play off - the 3rd state in each division just sits it out that year. The winner plays again next year, against the team that sat it out this time.

That way every state gets a go, and it doesn't interrupt the season too much with multiple games. All over in 1 weekend. (One game on the friday night, one on the saturday night)

Also the fact your state might only play every couple of years makes it a bit more of an occasion, plus the fact you miss out next year if you lose gives added incentive to win.

Slightly different level of prestige in playing in the World Cup versus playing State of Origin. The World Cup is recognised as the pinnacle of the sport - SOO is not. Ask any AFL player what they would rather win - a premiership or a SOO match, I reckon 99% are going for the flag. Ask any soccer player whether they would rather win a premiership or a World Cup and I reckon 99% are going for the World Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back