Andrew Dillon flags interest in bringing back State of Origin

Remove this Banner Ad

The talent isn’t close.
Look at the last draft class.
WA is well behind in grass roots.
NSW has a couple and QLD has a handful of gems but lack numbers.

The AFL need to be working harder on non Vic pathways for younger talent to come through, and it seems they may have forgone SA and WA in recent years to help get the franchise clubs some home grown talent.
Vic dominates the depth, but top end talent is all that would be making the sides for the major states. And there its probably closer. Yes, Vic would win far more often than not. Population alone would see to that. But WA might give them a shake from time to time.
After years of looking at a two tier comp, I may well look at three.
Div1: Vic, WA, SA
Div2: NSW, Qld
Div3: Tas, NT

Anyone who doesn't qualify for any of the represented jurisdictions can qualify via the first state they played club football outside the "formative years" as defined in the last proper state of origin games.
ACT is NOT part of NSW, no matter how much AFL HQ like to pretend Canberra is part of western Sydney. And, yes, I know the NSW team that beat Vic in 1990 was really a NSW-ACT team. Nor would ACT stick within 20 goals of NT.

Getting clubs to agree to anything is nigh on impossible though, so everything is always only going to be thought bubbles.

So, here's an extra thought bubble people won't like. Hold the group games in a "lightning premiership" format of a carnival with rotating hosts, then the final and promotion-relegation playoffs as full length games.

e.g. Scrap the BS "gather round" (won't happen, of course, because broadcast dollars for a round are much higher than for an origin carnival - the opposite of in Rugby League) and in the first revised SoO carnival in Adelaide play 10 minute halves of:
Vic v WA
Tas v NT
Vic v SA
NSW v Qld
SA v WA
Division phase done and dusted inside about 4 hours of Friday night prime time, with no team playing consecutive matches.

Full length, or maybe slightly reduced length:
Saturday afternoon - LoserDiv2 v WinnerDiv3 (e.g. Qld v Tas), Norwood- winner to division 2 next time
Saturday night - 3rdDiv1 v WillnerDiv2 (e.g. SA v NSW), Adelaide Oval - winner to division 1 next time
Sunday - 1stDiv1 v 2ndDiv1 (e.g. Vic v WA) - winner wins

Rinse and repeat every three or four years or something, so it doesn't become too stale for players and fans.
Is that too much for players in a single weekend? Maybe. if so, play the division phase over two days and longer format, and then the final/promotion-playoff weekend a few weeks later.

Vic dominates the depth, but top end talent is all that would be making the sides for the major states. And there its probably closer. Yes, Vic would win far more often than not. Population alone would see to that. But WA might give them a shake from time to time.
After years of looking at a two tier comp, I may well look at three.
Div1: Vic, WA, SA
Div2: NSW, Qld
Div3: Tas, NT

Anyone who doesn't qualify for any of the represented jurisdictions can qualify via the first state they played club football outside the "formative years" as defined in the last proper state of origin games.
ACT is NOT part of NSW, no matter how much AFL HQ like to pretend Canberra is part of western Sydney. And, yes, I know the NSW team that beat Vic in 1990 was really a NSW-ACT team. Nor would ACT stick within 20 goals of NT.

Getting clubs to agree to anything is nigh on impossible though, so everything is always only going to be thought bubbles.

So, here's an extra thought bubble people won't like. Hold the group games in a "lightning premiership" format of a carnival with rotating hosts, then the final and promotion-relegation playoffs as full length games.

e.g. Scrap the BS "gather round" (won't happen, of course, because broadcast dollars for a round are much higher than for an origin carnival - the opposite of in Rugby League) and in the first revised SoO carnival in Adelaide play 10 minute halves of:
Vic v WA
Tas v NT
Vic v SA
NSW v Qld
SA v WA
Division phase done and dusted inside about 4 hours of Friday night prime time, with no team playing consecutive matches.

Full length, or maybe slightly reduced length:
Saturday afternoon - LoserDiv2 v WinnerDiv3 (e.g. Qld v Tas), Norwood- winner to division 2 next time
Saturday night - 3rdDiv1 v WillnerDiv2 (e.g. SA v NSW), Adelaide Oval - winner to division 1 next time
Sunday - 1stDiv1 v 2ndDiv1 (e.g. Vic v WA) - winner wins

Rinse and repeat every three or four years or something, so it doesn't become too stale for players and fans.
Is that too much for players in a single weekend? Maybe. if so, play the division phase over two days and longer format, and then the final/promotion-playoff weekend a few weeks later.
You’ve put a lot of thought into this.
And the shorter games would make it more competitive.

But the little lightning premiership concept hides the bigger issue of the lack of players coming through SA and WA. Putting more $$$ into grassroots in these regions will assist in getting more talent in these regions and hopefully allow the teams in these states to pick more of them, giving them greater retention.

That’s the big thing the new commissioner needs to address. Not a lightning premiership.

We must be the only sport in the world that refuses to do representative football.

We are the A-League, and for some reason we are refusing to ever watch an International game of soccer, despite the considerably higher level of player quality.

We are the only sport that refuses to show our sport in as high a quality as it can possibly be. Every other sport that I can think of does it.
I'd love to see the pride and passion for the Victorian guernsey again.
Watching the Blues and Maroons only reminds me of this.

If it does get off the ground it'll be similar to the Bushfire charity match, Vic vs Allies, high scoring but low pressure, bruise free footy. Clubs will pressure their players to not go full tilt to avoid injuries.

Which is fine for a pre season all star game but looks silly next to the NRL version if they don't go for it hammer and tongs.

Doubt this happens.

More likely deflection from Dillon and his cronies - people complaining about the umpiring: Quick, look over there, ‘bring back SOO’.
Someone usually says every year they would look at it, because it gets raised by media (and on footy discussion sites) every year. Approximately zero chance anything happens other than a Vic v AllStars game every now and then as a special event that just insults everybody outside Vic.

The AFL journo's keep peddling the "never work", "don't need it", "nobody wants it" "players wont play" "injuries" angle.

Most players seem to want it, I think a majority of fans want it and a lot of ex-players are supportive.

It's weird. I don't get the bias here from the journo's.

Are they trying to protect their offseason holiday period or something?

I see it working perfectly fine, this option has been raised before, but:

Move the season to 18 games. Everyone plays each other once, alternating Home & Away every other season. It removes the inequality in the draw also.

Bring the end of the entire season forward.

The Grand Final is now the last Saturday in August.

Following Grand Final week, the SOO carnival bonanza is on. A massive month long carnival culminating in a finals period and GF on the school holidays in September at an alternating venue around the country each year to spread the game.

Alternatively you can push it back 2 weeks and try and run it into the Combine/Trade week.

If Luka Doncic on a $500m AUD contract can be insured, released and willing to play for Slovenia in the Olympics, I think we can get past the injury aspect of SOO.

The NBA teams and their fans consider championships above everything else and 1 superstar in a 5 man lineup has far more of an impact than an injury in an AFL side.

Last edited:
The boss says he likes it, but the clubs won’t touch it.

SA wants to play the Vics, not WA or the Allies.

WA wants to play the Vics, not Sa or the Allies.

The AFL is a victim of its own success, there are too many states for a one off series.

Worst case scenario would be an East v West plastic compromise.

There isn't.

You just don't do it in season and you spend a month playing games.

You could also do a VIC Metro vs Country trial game (like the NSWRL does) leading into the series for Big V selection that would probably get 100,000 to the G if it was brought in.

The revenue would be absolutely massive and far outweigh 3-4 standard rounds of the season.

Another option I've seen floated is Gather Round 2.0 on steroids.

This carnival is over 4 weeks. Each week, every game of each round is in a different city for the entire weekend.

Friday Night after AFL GF: VIC Metro vs VIC Country - SOO Selection Trial Game - MCG

I'm sure South Australia could do SA vs the SANFL or something similar that would tap into the nostalgia aspect. It would add a recruitment game for the AFL recruiters.

Rnd 1 (Week after VIC M vs VIC C) - SCG (Fri Night: Allies vs VIC, Sat Night: SA vs WA)
Rnd 2 - Adelaide Oval (Fri Night: VIC vs SA, Sat Night: WA vs Allies)
Rnd 3 - Optus (Fri Night: VIC vs WA Sat Night: SA vs Allies)
Final - MCG (SAT Night: Top 2)

Victoria doesn't get a home game, as they have the strongest talent pool and get the final.

You could alternate the final each year and the team that gets the final forfeits a home game in qualifying. (Allies home game alternates between SCG, Gabba and new Tasmanian Stadium)

The revenue for each city would be huge with travelling supporters.

Basically replaces the old night grand final theories and will pay off the TV networks for keeping the AFL Grand Final a day game.

The SOO final in that format would rate as well as the AFL GF.

In terms of the players association - Players not selected get an even longer summer break, which is what they have been petitioning for.

Players selected are playing the same amount of football as they currently do.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it does get off the ground it'll be similar to the Bushfire charity match, Vic vs Allies, high scoring but low pressure, bruise free footy. Clubs will pressure their players to not go full tilt to avoid injuries.

Which is fine for a pre season all star game but looks silly next to the NRL version if they don't go for it hammer and tongs.

Not if it's Victoria vs South Australia at Adelaide Oval it wont.

Not if there's a % of revenue bonus split between the players attached to the winning side of the carnival either.

Last edited:
3 round Knock out Comp

8 teams

New South Wales
Victoria
Queensland
South Australia
Western Australia
Tasmania
Northern Territory
Australian Capital Territory

Round One - Before Round 1 - 4 games
Semi Final - Mid Season Bye - 2 games
Final - Pre Finals Bye - 1 game

Teams seeded from previous State of Origin Series

1st v 8th , 2nd v 7th, 3rd v 6th , 4th v 5th

However it will al fall apart due to teams not allowing players to be available. Also ACT will almost certainly lose in the 1st round every year.
I love State of Origin, would love to see it come back but that format would never get off the ground.

Despite being an advocate for SOO I don't want to see players from my club getting injured playing in a meaningless game against the ACT or NSW.

SOO really only counts for SA/Vic/WA each year just rotate who plays who where SA v Vic one year, Vic v WA the year after and then SA v WA the year after that, flip the homes teams the cycle after.

If you include all the other states you are just diluting the concept and it will lose its appeal.

Not everything that works for the NRL works for the AFL or vice versa.

For example, Sunday and Monday night football has always rated well for the NRL. The AFL tried for years to have high rating Sunday and Monday night games, but unless it was a Monday public holiday following a Sunday night match or an unusual Tuesday public holiday, AFL fans never really got on board with games played at these times. Even matches such as Collingwood vs. Carlton or Hawthorn vs. Essendon didn't rate as well as they did in other timeslots. In the end the AFL conceded that Sunday and Monday night games were simply not going to rate as well as they hoped.

One off game each year on the March Long Weekend. Season launch. 15 minute plus time-on quarters. 6 on the bench.

1st Year - Double Header at MCG on a Saturday 5pm then 7:30pm start
VIC vs ALLIES*
SA vs WA

2nd Year - Double Header at winner of SA vs WA
Two winners from previous year play for inaugural Champions of Australia
Two losers from previous year play each other in qualifier

3rd Year onwards - Reigning Champions of Australia host double header
Two winners from previous year play for Champions of Australia
Two losers from previous year play each other in qualifier

*Most of those representing the Allies would have played U18's together for the Allies. There would be some team spirit there. None of the states outside of Vic, SA and WA would be able to form a team that is stronger than a regular AFL team, the Allies would form a team with enough quality to compete with Vic/SA/WA.

The AFL journo's keep peddling the "never work", "don't need it", "nobody wants it" "players wont play" "injuries" angle.

Most players seem to want it, I think a majority of fans want it and a lot of ex-players are supportive.

It's weird. I don't get the bias here from the journo's.

Are they trying to protect their offseason holiday period or something?

I see it working perfectly fine, this option has been raised before, but:

Move the season to 18 games. Everyone plays each other once, alternating Home & Away every other season. It removes the inequality in the draw also.

Bring the end of the entire season forward.

The Grand Final is now the last Saturday in August.

Following Grand Final week, the SOO carnival bonanza is on. A massive month long carnival culminating in a finals period and GF on the school holidays in September at an alternating venue around the country each year to spread the game.

Alternatively you can push it back 2 weeks and try and run it into the Combine/Trade week.

If Luka Doncic on a $500m AUD contract can be insured, released and willing to play for Slovenia in the Olympics, I think we can get past the injury aspect of SOO.

The NBA teams and their fans consider championships above everything else and 1 superstar in a 5 man lineup has far more of an impact than an injury in an AFL side.

I hear what you’re saying, but reducing regular season games just isn’t viable for the league financially. No league would voluntarily reduce their tv rights if that can just do it on top.

If they do it on top, that’s where the carnage exists.

Nothing gets my blood pumping more than cheering on The Allies :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back