Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Kelly. You don't think he's better than Shuey, Yeo and Gaff?

On exposed performances - I don't think he is better than Yeo and Gaff.

He is materially younger than Gaff and likely to surpass him (despite Gaff being 3xAA)- but that doesn't make his performances better to date.

Yeo is an interesting one - last year I would have said Kelly - this year with Yeo successfully transferring to the midfield - now I'm not so sure

Certainly not any meaningfully better

I think Connors comments about "money not being a factor", are more designed to placate the WCE. He wants to leave on good terms, and his motivation is family.

But that doesn't mean that Connors hasn't shopped around for the highest bidder of the Melbourne clubs. If the time comes that he announces North, he'll spit out the usual BS reasons, when we all know that money was the driving force.

The not money thing is also promising for quite a few other Melbourne based clubs who are looking close to success.

It its $800- 900k pa and not silly money like$1.2m (which I think is actually only $1.1) then the likes of the Hawks, Melbourne, Essendon and even Collingwood start coming into the picture.

Things are heating up in Melbourne though. A lot of high end talent wanting to move to Victoria this off season.

Shiels - Blues / Essendon / Saints
Hannebery - Saints
Polec - Norths
Hall - Norths
Lynch - Richmond
May - Collingwood
Gaff - ????
McGovern - Blues / Hawks / ??
Wingard - Dogs

I see the Gaff RFA crap compo formula has spooked a few clubs into exploring trading a year before a gun becomes a RFA.

And as predicted interstate clubs lose players to more attractive Vic clubs.

I don't think so. Gaff's compensation would be garbage in many other drafts, this year I think Eagles could get an exceptionally good player from the compensation pick.

This year is enticing because the draft pool is very strong, even with a garbage compensation pick, Eagles are likely to see a very good prospect as compensation. There is also less variance between say pick 10 and pick 25 this year than there are in other drafts where the talent pool is a lot weaker.

I think if clubs expect to lose a player, this year is probably the best year that it should happen so clubs like Swans and Port are effectively pushing Wingard and Hannebery out the door, they would have very strong expectations of getting a great player out of it.

For us, the fact so many players are returning to Victoria makes it easier for clubs to focus on other targets, they don't feel they need to compete against us and our large wad of cash because they can go after one of numerous other targets.

If the time comes that he announces North, he'll spit out the usual BS reasons, when we all know that money was the driving force.

He's not leaving WCE because of money.

But the club he chooses to go to after leaving will be a decision where money is at the very least a contributing factor.

A relatively unimportant, but factually accurate, distinction.

He's not a career midfielder, but of course he's a midfielder for the purpose of the discussion. He's played the majority of the last two years in the guts and had his two best ever seasons.

Yeah, he has been great for us, but he is a better half forward and if we had the midfield options, he likely will return to half-forward where he does so much damage.

He's not leaving WCE because of money.

But the club he chooses to go to after leaving will be a decision where money is at the very least a contributing factor.

A relatively unimportant, but factually accurate, distinction.
That's what I said. His motivation for leaving the Eagles is family.

But money is a major factor for which Melbourne based club he decides to join.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think so. Gaff's compensation would be garbage in many other drafts, this year I think Eagles could get an exceptionally good player from the compensation pick.

This year is enticing because the draft pool is very strong, even with a garbage compensation pick, Eagles are likely to see a very good prospect as compensation. There is also less variance between say pick 10 and pick 25 this year than there are in other drafts where the talent pool is a lot weaker.

I think if clubs expect to lose a player, this year is probably the best year that it should happen so clubs like Swans and Port are effectively pushing Wingard and Hannebery out the door, they would have very strong expectations of getting a great player out of it.

For us, the fact so many players are returning to Victoria makes it easier for clubs to focus on other targets, they don't feel they need to compete against us and our large wad of cash because they can go after one of numerous other targets.

Fair enough. Strong draft in 2018 and better compensation in moving now rather than waiting 12 months.

If Gaff does go as a fa and we get band 1 I am hoping that the AFL priority picks are end of the first round not middle. Then the Gaff compo would be either 19 or 20 with only the Lynch compo pick pushing tit back one spot which will land a nice kid.

Still ridiculous compo for Gaff.

Jordan Clarke or maybe Valente if we are lucky. If not Duursma or a Clancey Jones.

It's a great draft to have 4 picks between 19 and 35.

Fair enough. Strong draft in 2018 and better compensation in moving now rather than waiting 12 months.

If Gaff does go as a fa and we get band 1 I am hoping that the AFL priority picks are end of the first round not middle. Then the Gaff compo would be either 19 or 20 with only the Lynch compo pick pushing tit back one spot which will land a nice kid.

Jordan Clarke or maybe Valente if we are lucky. If not Duursma or a Clancey Jones.

I could be wrong, but I thought the AFL got rid of the mid first round compensation band, it is either after your pick or end of first round or later.

Most of the other movement are trades, so that will be a regurgitation of existing picks.

Downgrading hurts us as well as our academy/father son bidding points takes a massive tumble each spot down we are pushed.

Yeah, I don't like free agency, it is a severe compromise to the draft which was intended to distribute talent where it was needed the most. A lot of talent isn't getting to where it needs to go.

Credit to North fans. At least they don't ridiculously overrate their own players. They know Gaff would be close to if not their best mid.

If we're trying to pay for his great-great-great kids schooling, you'd wanna hope so.

Possibility of trading up too with all of those picks. Live trading on draft day should make this easier too. If there are guys that WCE like still on the board when club X is due to pick, they can choose to make an offer, try and move up. Might even make Draft night watchable...

I could be wrong, but I thought the AFL got rid of the mid first round compensation band, it is either after your pick or end of first round or later.

Most of the other movement are trades, so that will be a regurgitation of existing picks.

Downgrading hurts us as well as our academy/father son bidding points takes a massive tumble each spot down we are pushed.

Yeah, I don't like free agency, it is a severe compromise to the draft which was intended to distribute talent where it was needed the most. A lot of talent isn't getting to where it needs to go.

The AFL priority picks is a whole different ball game. We are talking about picks to boost t h e Blues, Saints and Gold Coast because rhey are crap list managers.

AFL can do whatever it wants. Who woulda thought!

The talent is being distributed to preferred clubs and locations at the expense of clubs who are struggling or are not at a preferred location.

Great for players and some clubs......not so good for others.

"He hasn't made his mind up. I can swear on my kids' lives that that's the case"

- Paul Connors on Andrew Gaff

That's more telling imo than the money comment. A money comment is just typical agenda speak but I'm thinking he has three or four clubs still in the fray if he leaves but it's not decided either way.

Dons, North and St Kilda are all in a similar stage in their build. Before ladder positions are mentioned North were third last for the majority of the year in 2017 so not much is separating these three teams in my opinion (assuming they stay injury free, hit some form and get a good draw).

Still anyone's guess.

On exposed performances - I don't think he is better than Yeo and Gaff.

He is materially younger than Gaff and likely to surpass him (despite Gaff being 3xAA)- but that doesn't make his performances better to date.

Yeo is an interesting one - last year I would have said Kelly - this year with Yeo successfully transferring to the midfield - now I'm not so sure

Certainly not any meaningfully better

He finished 3rd in the AFL MVP and 5th in the brownlow last year.

I think it probably does.

Gaff has probably had his best year this year and may not have even achieved that even without the suspension.

I think it's debatable that he's better than them at the moment, certainly, but he's definately as good, his year last year was better than the other two have proven to date and as you said he's younger.

"He hasn't made his mind up. I can swear on my kids' lives that that's the case"

- Paul Connors on Andrew Gaff

That's more telling imo than the money comment. A money comment is just typical agenda speak but I'm thinking he has three or four clubs still in the fray if he leaves but it's not decided either way.

Dons, North and St Kilda are all in a similar stage in their build. Before ladder positions are mentioned North were third last for the majority of the year in 2017 so not much is separating these three teams in my opinion (assuming they stay injury free, hit some form and get a good draw).

Still anyone's guess.

One side trended well up the ladder, the other trended well down. If North supporters have of said this last year you would of laughed at them.

Considering we are adding Polec & Hall, forgetting Gaff for a minute, I can't see us dipping at all next year.

One side trended well up the ladder, the other trended well down. If North supporters have of said this last year you would of laughed at them.

Considering we are adding Polec & Hall, forgetting Gaff for a minute, I can't see us dipping at all next year.
You are right I would've laughed, but history is showing that teams can have blips. Richmond, North, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Dogs, they just show if some things can go their way they can shoot up the ladder.

I don't disagree with your comment, but what I am saying is that it really is anyone's game these days and a lot can change in 12 months with an easy draw, improved coaching and a healthy injury run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back