Andrew Lovett vs Colin Sylvia

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris_Finch, don't make me post on the "Unofficially Official Bay 13 'Distance Yourself' Thread". To call Sylvia elite is lowering you to the level of those few Collingwood supports who lable any flash in the pan player elite.

Sylvia is in a rare vein of form. I wouldn't be making a fuss until he's been consistent till the end of the year. Although I think Sylvia has the tools to become a better, more damaging, more important player than Lovett, Lovett has the runs on the board.

Best post from a Melbourne supporter in the thread.

Aside from being an absolute gagsman/minx or gagsman = minx if you will, Chris Finch is right. Lovett is a good player but Sylvia looks as though he could be huge! Playin in a dog of a side but still getting great numbers and having a big impact on games, this could be his breakout year!

Ta
TC:eek:

Think this could go on back and forward for ever. Obvouisly Essendon supporters are goin to say Lovett and Melbourne supporters are goin for Sylvia.

At the moment i would say Lovett has been more consistant (he is 3 years older). I do think they are different types of players. Both have and will become very important players for there teams.
Call me biased but if i could take one at the moment i would take Sylvia, not only is he 3 years younger but players like him (medium sized with great hands who can play in any position) are few and far between.
Dont get me wrong i think Lovett is a gun and would love to have him, but players of his type (quick half forward/ wingman) are a lot more common than a type like Sylvia.

Sylvia is a good average player. Someone like Scott Thompson of Adelaide.

Lovett has X factor. Someone like Rioli of Hawthorn.

Your username says it all.

Irrespective of the quality of a list, it takes immense talent to perform the way Sylvia has over the past month.

It has been a month that most players can only dream about.

Another farcical comment from an Essendon fan. As good as Colin has been, there is only so much one player can do. Melbourne is developing a young team which still needs a great deal of work and as such, results have not been good. To make a comment such as this is ridiculous.

Wow, original call on the name.
I was just fighting crap, with the crap that was thrown.
Sylvia has been great, and Melbourne has some exciting talent. But I will respond with that type of crap to someone who obviously can't raise the intellect any higher like Finchy up there.

FWIW, as good as Sylvia has been, Davey has been as good, for longer than Sylvia IMO, but no one is making as big a carry on. To me, he is a better player to compare to Lovett.

Wow, original call on the name.
I was just fighting crap, with the crap that was thrown.
Sylvia has been great, and Melbourne has some exciting talent. But I will respond with that type of crap to someone who obviously can't raise the intellect any higher like Finchy up there.

FWIW, as good as Sylvia has been, Davey has been as good, for longer than Sylvia IMO, but no one is making as big a carry on. To me, he is a better player to compare to Lovett.

I had no intent of writing something original, I was merely stating a fact. Why? All I saw were a number of words without any substance or basis to them.

To be quite honest, I agree, this comparison is not necessarily a good one. The interesting thing is that this thread initially started as a ridiculous joke in response to a good match from Sylvia, however it is now generating some genuine debate following a string of good performances from Colin.

As he said in the article in The Age, he still has a long way to go. In saying that, however, he is well on the way to becoming an elite player. He has elite tools, all the ingredients required to make it, he really just needs to create some consistency both on and off the field and he has the potential to enter discussions surrounding the league's best players.

What runs does Lovett have on the board?

Three years older than Sylvia and has done sweet FA.

Average player at best.
A stat was brought up a while ago which indicated the players' involvement in scoring passages.
Stevie Johnson was on top, no surprise.
Next was Lovett.
Mind you, this was 2 weeks ago and Lovett has only improved while Stevie had a quiet one last week, so I wouldn't be surprised if Lovett is leading.

Good?

He has been unbelievable the last month.

Playing to a level that Andrew Lovett and many others are simply not capable of.

Mate you and many other melbourne supporters need to relax, you's have made out sylvias last month to be something that no one is capable of achieving. While this is all going on i haven't heard one essendon supporter mention lovetts last month as being anything too special which proves his played his best football this year before that. I've done some research and the stats dont show too much difference between a player that has had a UNBELIEVABLE last month and is being told to be compared to ablett and another great player who hasn't played anywhere near his best football thus year in the last month.

These stats show their last month and while i agree sylvia has had a better month than lovett it is nowhere near as good as all you melbourne supporter are making it out to be, i guess your not use to sylvia playing anthing like this before in his career.

Sylvia
32 possies 3 goals 66% efficiency
24 possies 1 goal 83% efficiency
37 possies 4 goals 73% efficiency
24 possies 1 goal 79% efficiency
Average 29 possies 2.25 goals 75% efficiency

Lovett
31 possies 1 goal 81% efficiency
21 possies 1 goal 76% efficiency
23 possies 2 goals 74% efficiency
25 possies 0 goals 84% efficiency
Average 25 possies 1 goal 79% efficiency

I think its more the way Sylvia has gone about it than anything. Playing for Melbourne this year he could easily be forgiven for looking at the grass and fading, not having any confidence etc.

But he's been smashing blokes, running his guts out and all of his good form has been a result of hard work (the guy has always had the skills and body to be able to play like this). I think that's what is so exciting about him. He's a midfielder who can really put pressure on the opposition with his physicality, he can take huge speccies, run the lines, kick goals on the run from 55m etc and most of us had written him off prior to this season so it is a bit 'extra' special to be seeing him play like this (imagine if Kepler Bradly just exploded out of nowhere while he was at Essendon, that's what it would feel like).

Put it this way, every club has one of those players who has all the skills, all the tools, to become an absolute superstar and for whatever reason, be it lack of application, injury, whatever, they just never seemed to get it together and actually have an impact. Well, Sylvia was our guy like that. He just never gave any indication he was going to get it together, and now all of a sudden he's absolutely killing it. It is made more exciting by the fact he's the type of player who can't really ever be shut down if he's on his game, he's too fast, too strong and too multi-skilled to ever be a non-factor, as long as he's working hard. It's the best thing that has happened for us this year, as sad as that sounds.

But I'm taking nothing away from Lovett, the guy is a gun and I have him on par with Davey, who is our best player.

while i agree sylvia has had a better month than lovett it is nowhere near as good as all you melbourne supporter are making it out to be

Sylvia

You can't be serious... extrapolated over a season those numbers would put him as the 5th highest possession getter in the league and he would kick 45-50 goals! What more do you want from a month of footy FFS!?

You can't be serious... extrapolated over a season those numbers would put him as the 5th highest possession getter in the league and he would kick 45-50 goals! What more do you want from a month of footy FFS!?

That's exactly right. Not to mention all of those games were losses. Most were bad losses where we were dominated, but he still performed highly. That is extremily difficult to do. It's easy to play well when winning.

BTW, Thankyou for allowing me to cross 'extrapolated' off of the words never used on bigfooty list. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the stats dont show too much difference between a player that has had a UNBELIEVABLE last month and is being told to be compared to ablett and another great player who hasn't played anywhere near his best football thus year in the last month.

Sylvia

Lovett
31 possies 1 goal 81% efficiency
21 possies 1 goal 76% efficiency
23 possies 2 goals 74% efficiency
25 possies 0 goals 84% efficiency
Average 25 possies 1 goal 79% efficiency

Let's get a couple of things straight.

The player you refer to in the section I've bolded is obviously Lovett. You say that he "hasn't played anywhere near his best football thus (sic) year in the last month". I beg to differ. Statistically Lovett's last month has been his best this year. Your stats show that he's averaged 25 possessions and 1 goal a game in the last month. Let me point out that between rounds 1-7 he averaged 19 possessions and 1 goal per game. This year has been Lovett's best so far and over the course of his career he's found far more consistency than Sylvia, but I'll also add that Sylvia's last month has usurped anything that Lovett has ever produced. Can Col keep it up ? Pass me a chrystal ball.

**BUMP**

I thought that it was now appropriate to revisit this thread.

Colin Sylvia has gone on to become unquestionably in my mind our best player, eclipsing the likes of Davey and Green.

And if given the choice between Lovett or Sylvia I'd take Sylvia every day of the week.

This year he's averaged more disposals, more marks, more tackles, and fractionally more goals than Lovett.

http://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerCom...ame3=&PlayerName4=&SelectedPlayers=1391,1545,

Sylvia is also 3 years younger:thumbsu:

Lovett has been playing in patches the last few months, so statisticlly Sylvia will be ahead of him. What doesn't show in stats is the way Lovett can turn a game on it's head in the space of a few minutes. When he lifts and gets his run going, the entire team's run and carry lifts with him. Lovett plays in bursts and is a game breaker, where Syliva is more steady hard work ethic over a whole game.

I'd still take Lovett over Syliva as he is the opitome of our game play, but I'd love him to have the whole game consistancy Sylvia has played with this year.

I don't necessarily think it's a question of statistics. I think Sylvia works harder than Lovett around the ground and overall he's a more solid player. Then again, I might be a bit biased as I really love the way Sylvia plays his football.

It really depends what style of footy the team plays and which player is better suited to that style, they're both very good footballers ideally I'd love to have them both. Lovett is the main reason we are playing finals this year his run and carry as well as his goal scoring ability has provided a huge spark for us this year.

Lovett has been playing in patches the last few months, so statisticlly Sylvia will be ahead of him. What doesn't show in stats is the way Lovett can turn a game on it's head in the space of a few minutes. When he lifts and gets his run going, the entire team's run and carry lifts with him. Lovett plays in bursts and is a game breaker, where Syliva is more steady hard work ethic over a whole game.

I'd still take Lovett over Syliva as he is the opitome of our game play, but I'd love him to have the whole game consistancy Sylvia has played with this year.

Sylvia was the reason the Dees were beating the Saints in the first half on the weekend (look who was kicking it to Jurrah the majority of the time). Lovett is a good player, but Sylvia is capable of becoming elite.

Another strange 'vote' involving one of our players.

We KNOW there are more Essendon posters on BF than Demons posters, and that's pretty much all this poll really says.

Just as well that things like the AA vote aren't decided by way of how many posters your club has on BF...

Mmmm yes... and given certain events likely to unfold in the days ahead Trav, I have a fair notion that our poll numbers would climb substantially if this thread was done over again mate ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Lovett vs Colin Sylvia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back