News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

Does that mean he did a brilliant job with all those who didn't get soft tissue injuries?

His time may well have been up but there are players who just don't have bodies equipped for the rigours of professional sport

Docherty and Acres got us into a Prelim with busted shoulders

Martin tears his calf applying the brakes at a set of traffic lights

Perspective!!!

Okay, I was incredibly harsh against someone who has essentially been doing this for decades and did the best he could at our club. I think this is the best time to move on though to get some new ideas into the club.

The other thing is, are we effectively conceding that we can't win it this year?

Most of us still hold out hope in a very even season, that we are still a slim chance to win it if things go right from hereon. We'd look pretty silly if we "nudged" him out, only to go on a late tear and win 6 in a row.

Disagree Earl, every player can have a great game, it doesnt mean they are a great player, just like not all premiership coaches are great and coaches of wooden spoon earners bad.

Russell has had success nearly everywhere he’s been but just like with Malthouse, maybe he has failed to adapt, grow, change and has become outdated.

The stars could still align, some players might return at just the right time and who knows what will happen, but that doesnt mean he has done a great job

He probably suits a more injury resilient list. He can't work miracles on some of the players we have made out of rice paper.

I can't really speak for how competent he's been in the role, without the inner sanctum knowledge, but considering he's had success in the past suggests he's no mug. Either times have changed enough where his methods aren't as effective or he just hasn't worked out for us, as sometimes happens with individuals and organisations.

I get that many wanted to see the head roll...

But I question the timing... why now? Season's nearly done, we're at most 2 months away, why not wait until then?

Surely we didn't just say "righto, Cerra's done another hammy you're out!"

But I question the timing... why now? Season's nearly done, we're at most 2 months away, why not wait until then?

Because I'd much rather be recruiting a new HP manager now, so he can plan the program ahead and have it ready for when he gets his feet under the desk, rather than in October and we lose two months which basically costs us a year.

Preseason comes around very quickly. Gets us a chance to recruit a replacement and not impact preparations for next year.
There’s been scrutiny on Russell for years - reviews conducted, changes made. Just hasn’t shifted the dial … so it’s time to move on.

The other thing is, are we effectively conceding that we can't win it this year?

Most of us still hold out hope in a very even season, that we are still a slim chance to win it if things go right from hereon. We'd look pretty silly if we "nudged" him out, only to go on a late tear and win 6 in a row.
I think we’d forgive the looking silly part pretty quickly.

Because I'd much rather be recruiting a new HP manager now, so he can plan the program ahead and have it ready for when he gets his feet under the desk, rather than in October and we lose two months which basically costs us a year.

Preseason comes around very quickly. Gets us a chance to recruit a replacement and not impact preparations for next year.
There’s been scrutiny on Russell for years - reviews conducted, changes made. Just hasn’t shifted the dial … so it’s time to move on.

No reason they couldn't keep all this internal...

Some pretty disgusting talk here for a person whos worked at Carlton through some pretty bad years. He tried his best, good on him and best of luck. Brain Cook will pick the best person for the job.
Yep, sinking the boot in is pretty weak stuff.
His record of success speaks for itself but he did his best & now moves onto other things.
Hopefully the club can secure a quality replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we have any knowledge about a) where within the club specifically this decision came from (coach, stakeholders, Cook, etc) or b) what Cook has done elsewhere with decisions like this?

There could be any number of reasons why we've ensured the slate is clean now. We need more information.

Probably the right decision to move him in, even if it was made so we could try something different.

However, some of the treatment he has received, and continues to receive from Carlton fans, has been beyond disgraceful. It’s been beyond criticism, and been vindictive. Hope that group can sleep well knowing the way they’ve talked about someone who has done his best for 6 years at the club, and is extremely popular amongst the players

Believe me, I will sleep very soundly knowing the club has finally made the right decision

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Do we have any knowledge about a) where within the club specifically this decision came from (coach, stakeholders, Cook, etc) or b) what Cook has done elsewhere with decisions like this?

There could be any number of reasons why we've ensured the slate is clean now. We need more information.

I'd like to hope that there's method behind this rather than it being reactional to another Cerra injury, club dropping on the ladder, fans are getting irritated and club needs to show that they're doing something to try and calm people down...

Cook is an astute operator, hopefully he's already got someone lined up and wants to get them in now so they have better context before starting next season.

I’ve got a feeling that this is an admission the playing group are stuffed physically and they know it’s not going to get better this year.

Hope to be proven wrong though.

It does have a stench of getting ahead of the narrative though.

It’s an admission that what’s been happening for most of this century hasn’t got better after head hunting someone to make it better.

I had high hopes for Russell when we first got him, finally we might just get a break from the injury curse, but it’s become very apparent for at least the last 2 years it’s not working

We are so close to the holy grail but continuously being hamstrung (not intended just couldn’t think of a better word) by an injury list that fails to get close to the best team out in the park nearly weekly.

The clock is ticking

It’s called being respectful, you shouldn’t as an organisation look someone in the eye and say we are backing you whilst at the same time head hunting someone else.

That’s old Carlton and not how Cook does business.

Be mature and respectful and have the hard conversations, once a decision is made then go hard at finding a replacement

And what if the same problems are still occurring in 2 years time?

And what if they aren’t?

Couldn’t possibly get any worse than year after year like it has been. You have to make changes if an absolute key part of your program is failing continuously.

That will again be the outcome if it doesn’t change, happens wherever you work not just as a phys edder at a footy club

Right decision to get rid of Russell...

Wrong decision with who they replaced him with...

Start calling for new person's head...

There’s no one on this board that will know if the new person is the one or not, it’s absolutely an outcomes based position and the positive outcomes will be consistently getting much nearer to your best team out on the park week in and week out.

Can I suggest that there is more to play out than the obvious.

Paid an absolute motza, which has meant we have not had the budget for other “items” covered under the soft cap.
Had a role with Carlton College of Sport which enabled him some scope for research/experimentation as well.

With his replacement likely on lesser remuneration, we will have money to spend, perhaps on more and/or better assistants. It would be important for that to be known in the industry. Obviously, unless we have someone already lined up we also need time to recruit a replacement.

Too many people are glowing in their assessment of Russel for him to be a dud. The “26 years” in the industry has the potential to be as much of a negative as it is a positive. Has he applied time honoured techniques or has he become somewahat speculative and creative? Has he changed up programs based in theory over history?

So much we will never know the answers to. I have been a supporter off the back of his historic success, but it is also easy to extrapolate a line of reasoning begging questions.

Bottom line, our cumulative results are not worthy of the individual in charge being paid over and above industry standard. It is logical to explore an alternate path and utilise.resultant soft cap capital.

Wishing you well Jack, logic says it was time. You were excused off the back of being over ridden by Teague, but you have been given licence to do it your way over the last two seasons with very questionable outcomes.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back