News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

Making decisions based on optics & is essentially pandering to the nuffies in the outer/bleachers & you'd hope that any organisation stays well away from that.
Good in theory, harder when the pressure comes.
Cook isn’t easy to shift - he’s seen it all but there’s always a tipping point. 2024 has been that for Russell.

The other negative with this is, there will be an element of doubt now with the LM team that the constantly injured players were mismanaged and might be ok under a new regime.
I was thinking the same.

I don't think it's necessarily the right move, but I wouldn't be surprised now if some of these injury-prone players are thrown a one-year lifeline to see how they fare under someone else.

This is both good news and bad, for the head of high performance to retire after a review in to our bad run of injuries, suggests to me he was pushed because the review found him to not be up to the job.

Which is bad because we have just wasted two years of our window constantly short on players.

The other negative with this is, there will be an element of doubt now with the LM team that the constantly injured players were mismanaged and might be ok under a new regime.
No need to worry - those determinations are already a long way down the track - they will follow him out the door. Russell’s not to blame for Marchbank, Cuningham, Martin and the club knows it.
There’s a fallacy however that it’s only the papier mache group that have spent time on the sidelines and/or haven’t been up to it consistently.
Concerns have been deeper and broader than the players perennially lamented on here.

There's no point going on about this any more as the club has openly acknowledged the problem. That closes the conversation for me. I'd imagine Russell will be gone at the end of the year win lose or draw but we'll see.

They were never going to sack him mid season but we can't afford another preseason disaster like the last 3 in particular.

There weren't many supporting this view back in June but the writing has been on the wall for a while. Least surprising news ever.

old Carlton might have operated that way.
Think we are a bit more collegiate and transparent about our processes these days. I’m supportive of the way the message has been delivered and the way the club and players are recognising Russell’s contribution which has been significant. As much as injuries have littered his time at Carlton, we were pretty much amateur hour before that.

I see no point in labouring this news.

Yes, we have a lot of injury-prone players. Russell may have continued this, or he may have been helpless in preventing some sort of genetic disposition. At the very least though, he didn't find a way to keep these players on the park, as some teams have done with their injury-prone acquisitions. I'd rate this one as a 50% chance of being on Russell for not being able to find a way, but not for causing the injuries.

Yes, we have had some players become injury-prone. Bad luck, coincidence, or wrong recovery and/or training techniques for individuals? Who knows? I'd put this 70% on Russell, because it's his role to find a way to prevent the reoccurrences. Adam Cerra's past 12 months has probably caused this to come to a head.

Have our players become fitter? Yes! Most definitely!! We have a taxing game plan which requires a greater level of fitness for those players who aren't naturally endurance athletes. Part of getting them fit is the increased risk of injury. He gets credit for our greater fitness base. Remember how poor we used to be at running quarters, let alone games out? If he is going to take the flak for the negative stuff, he has to get credit equally as much for the positive stuff.

Where to from here? I really don't know. Losing him could make us worse because we lose a vastly qualified person. Could we get someone who takes our fitness levels backwards, but also doesn't keep our injury list down? The new person will get the benefit of a more durable list as some perenially injured players will be cut from the list. This is a watch and wait, hope and pray situation for me. It has an element of 'well it couldn't get any worse' about it, but the reality is it could get much worse or much better. It is a great unknown going forward. We can only hope that the players recognise if and when the standards drop and take the initiative to step up the training themselves.

Thank you Andrew Russell for the good you did too and attempted to do with good intentions. Best of luck with the next phase of your career.

You won't have like for like, many of the injury prone will be gone
Weiters, Walsh, Cerra, Cotters, McGovern, Doc, JSOS, +Williams and possibly Martin will be enough to keep them busy with fairly scrutinized cautionary training loads I'd imagine.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weiters, Walsh, Cerra, Cotters, McGovern, Doc, JSOS, and possibly Martin will be enough to keep them busy with fairly scrutinized cautionary training loads I'd imagine.

Doc and Jsos we out for the year

Martin could be gone, with Durdin, Marchbank, Cuners

The intriguing ones for me will be Cerra, Saad Ramadan injuries and Gov

2025 Preseason will be a better judge of Andrew Russell than me.

Wait, so the 2025 preseason is going to judge Russell but not you? Don't you go slacking off mate. Get those skinfolds under control.

I’m not going to pretend I have any idea what is going on inside the club in this department (and anyone who claims they do is talking out of their sphincter) but the buck has to drop somewhere when it comes to season after season of endless injuries. Something wasn’t working, hopefully he isn’t being made the scapegoat, but changes needed to be made.

Formerly durable players like Walsh, Cerra, Williams and Martin now being regularly unavailable is costing us during our very brief premiership window. I’m not blaming Russell, it may be a case of poor recruitment, poor training plans, or maybe just plain bad luck. I have no idea, but a change was required so I really hope that this was the right call.

Burgess would be fantastic…

Big name for sure, and yes, a great relationship with Voss.

How does his injury list record look? Any notable success stories with injured players? Not for you specifically, but if anybody has any insight.

I’m not going to pretend I have any idea what is going on inside the club in this department (and anyone who claims they do is talking out of their sphincter) but the buck has to drop somewhere when it comes to season after season of endless injuries. Something wasn’t working, hopefully he isn’t being made the scapegoat, but changes needed to be made.

Formerly durable players like Walsh, Cerra, Williams and Martin now being regularly unavailable is costing us during our very brief premiership window. I’m not blaming Russell, it may be a case of poor recruitment, poor training plans, or maybe just plain bad luck. I have no idea, but a change was required so I really hope that this was the right call.

I agree with all except Williams and Martin previously being durable. Both were injury prone at their former clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back