News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

Burgess is close to the most highly regarded in the biz, though so were Buttifant, Cordy and Russell on arrival. Hope we make more than one change here.
"Burgess’ philosophy was to use hard training to make the squad more durable: “Essentially there’s been a fair bit of research that shows that if you can build up players’ resilience to hard training, that the impact of a game becomes less and less because your body is accustomed to it.”

No doubt Burgess is highly credentialed and would be an awesome get.

However, wouldn't it be the exact same approach we took with Russell?

It would be nice to see our club take a more forward thinking approach and uncover the next Burgess/Russell, rather than always chasing the competition's tail by appointing the current established messiah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with all except Williams and Martin previously being durable. Both were injury prone at their former clubs.
Williams was starting to establish himself as a genuine midfielder with GWS. His infamous prelim final was a key reason we recruited him, I even remember his first pre season game with us he kicked two goals and looked incredible, but had a brain fart and got suspended.

Once he returned he looked like a fish out of water playing midfield and was sent back to the backline. The Achilles I think is just bad luck but continuous soft tissue injuries needs to be looked at.

Martin was paid a truck load. If stories are to be believed he was paid close to a million for his first 2-3 years. He has been a joke of a recruit. His performance against Sydney in the EF aside, he has been overall a non factor. His calf issues have been going on for the best part of two years.

Cuningham and Marchbank I don’t think anyone’s to blame. They are just made of glass.

My issue is Walsh and Cerra. We need them to be fit and firing to have a shot at a flag.

Thanks to Andy Russell for his efforts over his years at the club.

At times I was part of the group that criticized him (I think almost everyone was). However, we will never know how much of the persistent injuries the club has had over the years was his responsibility.

He was signed prior to the AFL installing the COVID footy department spending cap and we all know that he was paid top dollar. I'm very keen to see what this does for the coaching team and not just high performance. There's an opportunity to bolster our coaches in several areas.

While I felt he was of high calibre, I think - when he seemingly wasn't taking on a holistic approach and strayed too far out of his lane without any real expertise - he focused too hard on endurance running.

I like how lean we are this year, and I applaud how much ground a lot of players can cover, but we keep picking for/expecting this and seem to have little regard for raw speed and the advantage it can bring in terms of cleaning up our chain of possession and converting our defensive pressure into more straightforward turnovers.

But looking back over the last 15 years of the club, we've long had an issue with terrible injury assessments in terms of player acquisition and ticking players off for game day, and if I recall correctly the medical department changed very little over that time, though I acknowledge we got new doctors in the mix circa 2021.

Whatever the case, I want us picking apart what the best high performance teams are doing today, instead of the usual thing we do: alternates between headhunting names that were at the peak of their powers 5-10 years ago, or not really straying outside of AFL circles.

I want to see someone come in who has their mind on more than hitting a couple of KPIs while getting too nebulous, I want someone who is meticulous about every player as an individual, and is able to provide insight to the recruitment and coaching teams about athletic trends in the game or ones that translate to the sport, because they sorely need it.

If they can also contribute some IP to the AFLW team, that'd be amazing.

"Burgess’ philosophy was to use hard training to make the squad more durable: “Essentially there’s been a fair bit of research that shows that if you can build up players’ resilience to hard training, that the impact of a game becomes less and less because your body is accustomed to it.”
Not the best quote without context, but a great article. Seems like the right choice.

Williams was starting to establish himself as a genuine midfielder with GWS. His infamous prelim final was a key reason we recruited him, I even remember his first pre season game with us he kicked two goals and looked incredible, but had a brain fart and got suspended.

Once he returned he looked like a fish out of water playing midfield and was sent back to the backline. The Achilles I think is just bad luck but continuous soft tissue injuries needs to be looked at.

Martin was paid a truck load. If stories are to be believed he was paid close to a million for his first 2-3 years. He has been a joke of a recruit. His performance against Sydney in the EF aside, he has been overall a non factor. His calf issues have been going on for the best part of two years.

Cuningham and Marchbank I don’t think anyone’s to blame. They are just made of glass.

My issue is Walsh and Cerra. We need them to be fit and firing to have a shot at a flag.
Jack Martin may have been paid +/-$1M for his 1st / 2nd years but that was smoothed out over the remaining 3yrs to enable us to pick him in the PSD on our contract terms = not his fault. Free trade.

He then got massively bit because of the COVID % reductions that played out. Not sure what happened on that front for his $ cause.

Pity on the injury front, as he adds another dynamic to our fwd50 when fit. Would like to know the AR input vs Mrs Martin on the remedy/recuperation methods.

I have said before on here but I'm not sure Russell is entirely to blame and getting Geelong's fitness guy (for example) will fix it.

I think part of our issues is we lack some speed and genuine class and kicking skills so we have to compensate by playing a very brutal contested type of game which we eventually can't sustain (within a game or across the season).

When Russell was at Hawthorn they had elite ball users across each line and cut through defenses easily and so wasn't as taxing on their players - because they basically had the ball in their possession more often.

We have seen how when we struggle we have to grind our way down the line and win from stoppages etc.

I personally don't think Russell going is the panacea for all our problems - it's personnel and game style just as much as fitness.

Marchbank, Cuners gone, possibly Martin, who else in our best 30?

Durdin, the others more in capability, Mirkov, Akuei

Perhaps tough decisions might be made in regards to 1-2 contracted injury prone

Yeah, Marchy, Cunners, Durdin, Mirkov, M Carroll is 5 and maybe Martin 6.
Not best 30, but still on the list without a reasonable chance of actually playing.

Edit: and Akuei obviously, but not sure that Cat B really counts

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back