News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

Russell made these comments while he was an employee of the Hawthorn Football Club. It worked out pretty well for the Hawks. It’s terribly misleading to put him up there in his Carlton gear and attribute it as comments about Carlton but that’s the internet. I put up the podcast in the Carlton in the media thread where these comments were in response to the topic of ‘throwing science out the window’. The context is a little more complex than this post on Instagram.

Unless there is more audio stating his changed his position I think the comments stand. Evidence certainly backs up this being his current approach.

In the aftermath of the Hawthorn debacle I sought out some material on Russell. I hadn’t scratched the surface other than to recognise his face and have a limited understanding of what he does at Carlton and did in his employment at other clubs.

I’ve searched hard for the Sen interview that people keep referring to but haven’t been able to locate it. What I did find was a podcast on Dyl and friends from February 2024 which staggered me. The man is super intelligent and his level of thinking surpasses mere mortals like me. The common thread of him running players into the ground is a furphy. It makes no sense with all the information at hand that anyone would read it and then think we need to run these players into the ground.

This man is a sports scientist and a deep thinker. Perhaps you’re right. Some fragile players at the wrong time.

I listened to the dyl and friends podcast. Not sure I had the same take-away as you.

By the start of next year, the injury prone players (soft tissue / muscular) remaining will be Cerra, McGovern and Williams.

Three is easier to manage than 6.
Fortunately Cerra is out of contract next season. If he doesn't get the injury sorted he could be trade bait

What were your thoughts?

Didn't get the "deep thinker" vibe at all. Just a typical footy guy - a bit full of himself. Jack Martin's missus got more out of Jack with Google than Russell ever did. There was a similar story from Cunningham who couldn't get his calf right until he discovered yoga himself - which helped for a while.

There are no stories of Russell finding a miracle calf-blood injection in Germany which fixed our permanently injured player.

I think Russell had an approach to what he does through a preseason and just stuck to that. For Cripps and a majority of the Hawks players that obviously worked well but for the others who required a different approach he was just the wrong man for the job.

The opposite of a "deep thinker".

Don’t let the door hit out on the way out Jack.

He drank his own bath water, overpaid and too much say.

The club has failed badly by not moving him on sooner. Evidence based people saw Carlton’s injury lists year after year and knew he was the problem.

This guy flogged the list before round 0, those who cottoned on knew Carlton would he chopped liver before too long.

Does anyone know if Russell is still employed by the club?

If I had anything to do with how the club was being run this bloke would be frog marched out the building tomorrow morning.

I will remember his whole time at the club as an abject failure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring Russell out of retirement.

We have been training all year for this.

Do we need a mini preseason in the bye, to get us cherry ripe?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Just me, but I note current and former players (from other clubs) speak highly of AR. Many here also excited when AR was signed at CFC (I was one of them). Wish AR all the best in his future. For many reasons, it did not work at CFC, and as Einstein said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." Time for a change. Expect a clean out of perennially injured players, plus others changes in HP (and maybe also in other aspects of footy department).

Just me, but I note current and former players (from other clubs) speak highly of AR. Many here also excited when AR was signed at CFC (I was one of them). Wish AR all the best in his future. For many reasons, it did not work at CFC, and as Einstein said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." Time for a change. Expect a clean out of perennially injured players, plus others changes in HP (and maybe also in other aspects of footy department).
Might have 2 Russell’s out the door.

Funny that the only ones complaining about Andrew is the supporters.
He is highly regarded in his field and I would love to know the full story (and not the conjecture) as to his departure.

Can we acknowledge that the game has changed over the years and perhaps his methods were outdated?

Regardless of anything, he was the head of high performance and it clearly wasn't working. It was therefore his responsibility to adapt and improve things. The fact things haven't improved is what marked the end for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back