Anti-Football Media/General Public and Police Thread!

Which sport is more popular?

• Rugby

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Soccer

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows_United_FC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
This is a thread to post all the Anti-football News articles,video,opinions from 7,9,10,Herald Sun etc...
It's really important that we move all these crap stories in this thread just to prove how pathetic our media can be!

Channel 7 Adelaide - 8th February 2009

Channel 9 Adelaide - 8th February 2009

Channel 9 Adelaide - 20th September 2009

Channel 7 Adelaide - 1st of November 2008

Channel 10 (National) - 7th December 2012

Adelaide Now (Graham Cornes) - 4th January 2013

Alessandro Del Piero hysteria is over the top

IS THERE anything more ridiculous than grown men in tears at the airport, lamenting that one of their sporting heroes didn't make the trip to Adelaide?
Alessandro Del Piero was never going to play in Adelaide.
Like Shane Warne who preferred being in bed with Elizabeth Hurley, and Bruce Springsteen who will play at Hanging Rock, but not Adelaide, the fading superstar had better things to do on New Year's Eve and chose to stay away.
Until this debacle he had been a most impressive recruit to Australian soccer.
Of course, the hysteria surrounding his arrival in Sydney was ridiculous and seemed almost pre-meditated and orchestrated, but it worked.
Soccer received lots of free publicity, Sydney FC sold hundreds of sky-blue shirts, signed up new members and had great crowds to their early matches.
It's a pity the club is a basket-case and the team stinks.
After 14 matches the pre-season predictions that Del Piero would lead Sydney to greater glory are worthless.
The team sits at the bottom of the A-League table with just four wins from 14 games. So much for marquee players.
Actually, none of this is Del Piero's fault.
He plays well, showing more than a few glimpses of the skill that made him one of the best players in the world, is generally accessible to the media and seems a genuinely nice man.
Indeed, as much as his restricted English allows, he conveys a genuine surprise and bewilderment about the hysteria and man-love that is constantly displayed by his over-awed, immature Australian fans.
His coach, Frank Farina, did him no favours recently though when he complained about the overly aggressive tactics some opponents were using against Del Piero.
Genuinely great players never complain about the negating, defensive tactics employed against them.
They let the officials officiate and use their superior talent to overcome the "enthusiasm" of close-marking opponents. It's something he should have been prepared for anyway.
The previous high-profile A-league marquee player, Harry Kewell, made it well-known that playing in Australia was much tougher than he had imagined. Young opponents are not going to let big-name, highly paid stars waltz around them without making them earn it.
Actually, it has been a pretty good season for the A-League. Crowds, memberships and ratings, albeit those on pay-TV, are all healthy and much improved.
However, the fact that one team can spend $2 million more than the rest on one player makes a mockery of a competition that pretends to compete with the other football codes.
Worse, with regard to team success, the marquee players are not working.
The teams of the two highest paid, high-profile imports, Del Piero and Newcastle's Emile Heskey, are bottom and third to bottom of the A-league.
But ratings, crowds and shirt sales are up - that's all that seems to matter.
Del Piero, great player, nice man, is no god.
Australians have to stop treating him as one.
He is a fading superstar who understandably attracts interest; but mass hysteria?
Please, it's ridiculous and embarrassing.
If it has to be soccer, give me the honesty and the team ethic of John Kosmina's Adelaide United any day.

Later that week simon Hill goes on FIVE AA (Adelaide Radio stations) and rips Cornes to shreds!!
Here's the audio: (really worth listening to)
http://www.fiveaa.com.au/audio_simon-hill-fights-with-cornesy-about-del-piero_106111

In a the videos that I posted, What do you guys see as the trend?? Maybe in every the video it shows more police brutality (Insulting, pushing people for no reason) than actually fighting between the the two sets of supporters?

Channel 10 (National) - 14th October 2011

I went to that game with my then 20 month old son and my wife. Not a hint of trouble at the game apart from over zealous security throwing out a couple of our fans for standing in the aisle. Walked back to the tram afterwards no problems at all, even had some friendly banter with some United supporters (I did jokingly call him an inbred south Australian and he didn't mind!!!). All this with my 20 month old in a stroller.

I went to that game with my then 20 month old son and my wife. Not a hint of trouble at the game apart from over zealous security throwing out a couple of our fans for standing in the aisle. Walked back to the tram afterwards no problems at all, even had some friendly banter with some United supporters (I did jokingly call him an inbred south Australian and he didn't mind!!!). All this with my 20 month old in a stroller.

Great to hear! This just shows how much the media over exaggerate stories and try to give football a bad name. Also Weslo security has a reputation of stirring up shit just because they feel like it!

That's anti sydney FC, not anti-soccer

nah it's isn't just anti-Sydney FC. The article criticizes Newcastle Jets and Heskey. It also criticizes the A-leagues marquee system. LOL I wonder what Cornes's thoughts on Buddy Franklin's ridiculous move to Sydney and Sydney's Living allowance bullshit!

Lol, Graham Cornes to football is just like what Mark McLure is to Richmond - absolute flog with NFI.

I'm sure the war will intensify now that Gallop has come out and said Football can be the biggest code in Australia one day. Let the fun and games begin!

It's not the media that pisses me off it's the FFA, they kowtow to these campaigners sooo much.

I changed the title to 'Anti-Football media/General Public thread'. This way we can also post negative articles etc.. from Police, non football fans etc...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found this on another forum:
BHi8fsTCcAA7M0_.jpg:large

AFL doesn't have flares???

I've never seen this sort of 'Hooliganism' in Football games in Australia before, and they all start laughing it off like that behavior is normal. When have NSL/A-league fans ever knocked down the goals and carry them across the pitch?? When have NSL/A-league fans ever started a real fire (not flares) on the pitch?? Then Gary lyon says "Great atmosphere" You ****ing campaigner!!! If that happened in Football he would be calling us hooligans!! ****ing 2 faced idiots!! Then that other idiot says "It just goes to show you how passionate Melbourne is about football?? WHAT??? You call that passionate?? Lighting the goal posts and putting people's lives at risk???

This just proves that the Anti-football people would criticize even the smallest of things just to bring down the sport!

AFL doesn't have flares???

I've never seen this sort of 'Hooliganism' in Football games in Australia before, and they all start laughing it off like that behavior is normal. When have NSL/A-league fans ever knocked down the goals and carry them across the pitch?? When have NSL/A-league fans ever started a real fire (not flares) on the pitch?? Then Gary lyon says "Great atmosphere" You ******* silly!!! If that happened in Football he would be calling us hooligans!! ******* 2 faced idiots!! Then that other idiot says "It just goes to show you how passionate Melbourne is about football?? WHAT??? You call that passionate?? Lighting the goal posts and putting people's lives at risk???

This just proves that the Anti-football people would criticize even the smallest of things just to bring down the sport!

Don't supporters of Central Districts in the SANFL usually light flares?

This thread is just as lame as those articles.

Why soccer people get so upset about this is beyond me. It's all turd and hyperbole, but the people who believe it and fear it were never going to be converts anyway. The biggest issue facing the FFA is the FFA; and the biggest issue facing the A-League is getting kids who watch the Premier League to attend the A-League.

Also, having A-League CEOs relate flares to Jill Meagher's absolutely depressing death doesn't help...

This thread is just as lame as those articles.

Why soccer people get so upset about this is beyond me. It's all turd and hyperbole, but the people who believe it and fear it were never going to be converts anyway. The biggest issue facing the FFA is the FFA; and the biggest issue facing the A-League is getting kids who watch the Premier League to attend the A-League.

Also, having A-League CEOs relate flares to Jill Meagher's absolutely depressing death doesn't help...

Why? Because we need to speak up against this shit! I and I'm fairly sure the majority of football fans are sick of all of this negativity towards our sport. Football analysts never say negative things about AFL, so why should AFL analysts say negative things about football. Jealousy? I think so! Football isn't the the biggest sport in Australia, yet they know that one day it will become the most popular sport in Australia thus why they pick the smallest fault they find and make a big deal out of it.

Adelaide Now - October 4th 2013 - Graham Cornes

It's time for soccer officials to stop the whingeing

THE AFL season has been played out. We have only the SANFL grand final to prolong our football interest.
It is staggering that the AFL season was so successful, given the controversies, real or contrived, that impacted on the game in 2013.

The Essendon supplements saga, whether WADA protocols were breached or not, gave football's opponents plenty of ammunition with which to bombard Australia's premier football code.
Strange that it didn't seem to impact on attendances, club memberships and revenue.

Essendon's suspension from the finals series, an over-reaction if ever there was one, at least gave renewed interest to the finals race, particularly when Carlton, who grabbed the vacant eighth position, defeated a cocky, posturing Richmond in the first week of the finals.
Crows disappointment aside, it was a great year.
The same can't be said for the rugby codes. The Wallabies disappointed us all, and rugby league suffered in all the important key performance indicators.
A new broadcasting rights windfall will save the game, but it seems to have serious problems attracting new supporters and keeping its traditional ones.
It's a tough game played by tough men, but it seems to lack appeal to an increasingly sensitive new-age audience.

So now it's time for the soccer season. Smart strategy it was indeed, to move the A-League competition to a summer season.
It can stand alone without the competition from football that would surely undermine the impact and importance of the "world game".
But what a whingeing mob they are.
All we have heard over winter is how poor the conditions and facilities for young soccer players and suburban clubs are.
It seems almost an orchestrated campaign to highlight how little government money is spent on emerging young soccer players.

New Adelaide United coach Josep Gombau wasted no time in savaging the facilities and training grounds of his new club.
"We are training on facilities that are more a park than a football facility," he complained, just weeks after taking charge of the Reds.
Josep - shut up and stop whingeing. This is Adelaide, Australia, not Barcelona.
We all train on parks in our off-season. The finely manicured turf is for the premier competitions and the famous football grounds and even then it's a fair bet that most of the soccer pitches in the A-League have better surfaces that our AFL grounds.

We don't need a recently appointed little-known coach becoming an instant critic of our culture and conditions.
Besides, soccer has always been a game for the masses.
It can be played by anyone at any time, in the most interesting of conditions.
How many kids grew up playing the game in the streets, on the beach or at the local park?
If the Australian soccer community is gearing up for a campaign to embarrass governments about the funding they provide for the game, they would be best to remember one key point.
If the game is good enough, popular enough and supported well enough, it should be able to provide for itself. But that's not the case in Australia.
The A-League clubs are struggling financially, and ratings for anything but the Socceroos world Cup matches do not generate revenue like the AFL or NRL.
Besides, what has happened to the millions that have been generated by successive World Cup appearances?

Oh, and how well was that $50-odd million that we wasted on a ridiculous world cup bid spent? That would have improved a few pitches around the country.
Soccer fanatics, and there are plenty who let their emotions get in the way of common sense, point to the half a billion dollars spent at Adelaide Oval. They conveniently forget that the Reds play at a great, tax-payer funded stadium at Hindmarsh.
Further, if they ever get of their backsides and attract the high-profile matches to Adelaide, I'm sure they will be able to use Adelaide Oval. We won't mind sharing.
Instead of complaining about what you don't have, be grateful for what you have.
A great, global game, played by more kids than ever in the best country in the world.

What a ****ing idiot!!

I wouldn't put any credence into what Graham Cornes has to say, he hardly exists outside of South Australia.

Yes whilst that is true, his article is posted on a website that attracts thousands if not millions of visitors per day! Whether or not his opinion matters, I thought it was worth posting. Just goes to show you the lengths that 'AFL people' will go to just to have a jab at our game!

Fox Sports - October 9th 2013 - Simon Hill

Long read but worth it IMO
In response to Graham Cornes:

it's time Australians refererred to football as 'their' own sport

ON the eve of a new season, is it pertinent to ask whether football has made the crossover from "them" to "us?"

Let me explain. In recent weeks, I've had an interesting email exchange with one of my old sparring partners, Peter FitzSimons. I met Peter for the first time recently, and he was engaging company - hugely intelligent and fantastically knowledgeable on a range of topics.

But when it comes to football, he does rather suffer from the same cultural blind spot afflicting many in this country. There was a little example of this in one of his weekly Fairfax columns a few weeks ago, where he wrote the following line.
"Brazil, beat the Socceroos 6-0. Bloody hell - is their coach up to it?" After figuring out he was talking about Holger Osieck, I questioned Peter on his use of this possessive pronoun, especially as earlier in the same column, he had referred to the Wallabies as "we."

Peter admitted it was a fair point, but said it probably reflected the fact he felt little connection with the Socceroos. I went on to ask him how we could make him feel a greater connection. I'm still waiting for an answer.

All of this is not to throw stones specifically at Peter FitzSimons (although I'll happily do so when he deserves it!), but to illustrate a wider point. Has football got to the stage whereby such views are just a relic of a bygone age - or do they still represent a broad sweep of the Australian public?

Furthermore - is it just the game itself that causes this disconnect, or is it something more deep-seated?
Over the last week, a few articles have popped up from non-football journalists, having their predictable pre-season swing at the game, based upon prejudices and stereotypes as old as Australia itself. Invariably, they focus on hooliganism (as if it doesn't exist in the other codes), manliness (whatever that means) and, most pertinently, in my view, foreigners. Truly, the Sheila's, Wogs and ****ters mentality is alive and well.
One such critic directed his ire towards Josep Gombau, the Spanish-born coach of Adelaide United, after Gombau complained about the standard of training fields in South Australia. The journalist (a former AFL player, so not really a journalist at all, which may be half the problem) responded by telling him, and the game, to be quiet.
"What a whingeing mob they are. Josep - shut up and stop whingeing. This is Adelaide, not Barcelona. We don't need a recently appointed, little-known coach becoming an instant critic of our culture and conditions."

And there it is again. What a whingeing mob THEY are. OUR culture.
But who are "they?"
Aren't "they" overwhelmingly Australian? Is the writer suggesting that ALL football people are foreigners? If so, perhaps those from the indigenous communities can look around any sporting stadium and say exactly the same thing - no? Would a foreigner be more warmly received if he was agitating for better AFL facilities? I suspect he might, even though football has been played in Australia since the 1800's.
Modern-day Australia is a hybrid of many different backgrounds, and football leads the way in reflecting the demographic look of the nation.

This was another point I put to Peter FitzSimons. I wondered whether his push for a new Australian flag (removing the union jack specifically) to represent a more inclusive version of the country, doesn't put him at odds with his lack of connection with the properly multi-cultural Socceroos? Again, I'm still awaiting an answer. Australia is progressive in embracing almost every form of international interaction in business, politics and culture. Yet it remains instinctively conservative when it comes to connecting with the one truly global sport - football. Far easier to stick with putting one over the English, the New Zealanders or the South Africans - people "we" know.
Changing a flag can be done quite simply if the will is there. But if it's to mean something, then engaging with who "we" are, requires a deeper commitment and understanding. Football, as the most inclusive sport, has a part to play in that, whether the nay-sayers accept it or not.

The critics message meantime, remains stuck in neutral. It may be okay to be foreign - trendy even. When it comes to sport, however, you have to be like "us." Witness the fuss that is made of any African kid who chooses AFL as a career path if you want further proof.

Strangely, most Australians seem to quite happily accept that who "we" are is very different to 50 years ago. It's time that message filtered through. Football people are actually just other Australians - most of whom support the other codes during winter as well. They should no longer be classed as "them," portrayed as outsiders, refuseniks or troublemakers.
The ritual of demonising football (this year without a ball having been kicked), is not only unfair, it's wrong.
Because "they" are actually "us."

Good on you Simon. Best Football analyst in Australia!!

Yes whilst that is true, his article is posted on a website that attracts thousands if not millions of visitors per day! Whether or not his opinion matters, I thought it was worth posting. Just goes to show you the lengths that 'AFL people' will go to just to have a jab at our game!

I used to react in the same manner as yourself, with time I've learned that the main motivation behind these articles is one of insecurity and ignorance. Whilst many will read such an article, those in agreement already share the same views as the article writer, the rest of us, well we're not going to suddenly turn on our game because of Graham Cornes. Articles such as these are only as relevant as we make them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anti-Football Media/General Public and Police Thread!

Back