Anzac Day 2014 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top 2 interstate teams to play off in NZ. If they also want to be involved.

Very generous of you but I think we'll pass. A 14 hour return trip in the middle of the season wouldn't exactly be ideal for a team that ready travels so much.

We already have our Len Hall game every ANZAC round anyway.

As much as it could (and possibly should) change, the main Anzac Day game will always be Collingwood Vs Essendon, the best we can do is add on to it, which St Kilda has done by playing in NZ and Freo has done with their Len Hall game.

Question I have always wondered:

Why is it so important to play on ANZAC day?

Yes the pies and Essendon play every year and draw a large crowd but part of the reason for that is both clubs have massive supporter bases. An Essendon vs Collingwood game in round 5 on another day would still draw a huge crowd. (Maybe minus a few thousand neutrals and others who go to the event).

Personally I wouldn't really care if Collingwood lost it. The day is about remembering and honouring sacrifices made by Australia's veterans. If for example bulldogs and north want to play in the afternoon fine but I doubt they will draw much more than 40 000 anyway.

I honestly don't know why clubs are so desperate to play on the day.

Very sensible post right there! sums it up perfectly!

Over the last 4 years alone, Collingwood and Essendon have received extra attendance of 101,219 people.

2013 - Collingwood vs. Essendon – 93373 69821 (23552)
2012 - Collingwood vs. Essendon – 86932 56491 (30441)
2011 - Collingwood vs. Essendon – 89626 73193 (16433)

2010 - Collingwood vs. Essendon – 90070 59277 (30793)

Yet people keep going on how other clubs cannot draw the numbers. If it is a GF replay or the top two victorian clubs, quailty football will draw big crowds everytime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question I have always wondered:

Why is it so important to play on ANZAC day?

Yes the pies and Essendon play every year and draw a large crowd but part of the reason for that is both clubs have massive supporter bases. An Essendon vs Collingwood game in round 5 on another day would still draw a huge crowd. (Maybe minus a few thousand neutrals and others who go to the event).

Personally I wouldn't really care if Collingwood lost it. The day is about remembering and honouring sacrifices made by Australia's veterans. If for example bulldogs and north want to play in the afternoon fine but I doubt they will draw much more than 40 000 anyway.

I honestly don't know why clubs are so desperate to play on the day.

Over the last 4 years they have drawn an average of 25,000 less people in the non-ANZAC day game.

Over the last 4 years alone, Collingwood and Essendon have received extra attendance of 101,219 people.

2013 - Collingwood vs. Essendon – 93373 69821 (23552)
2012 - Collingwood vs. Essendon – 86932 56491 (30441)
2011 - Collingwood vs. Essendon – 89626 73193 (16433)

2010 - Collingwood vs. Essendon – 90070 59277 (30793)

Yet people keep going on how other clubs cannot draw the numbers. If it is a GF replay or the top two victorian clubs, quailty football will draw big crowds everytime.

That is more a reflection of the fact Essendons wheels usually fall off around the end of July and they lose their bandwagoners.

Over the last 4 years they have drawn an average of 25,000 less people in the non-ANZAC day game.

So are you saying that clubs want to play ANZAC Day to make money? Fine I guess but St Kilda and Sydney played in Wellington, Freo and the Bulldogs in 2011 and Hawthorn and West Coast in Launceston in 2010. Attendances for those games were about par.

But if other clubs want the G to themselves at 230 on ANZAC Day go for it. Personally I don't think it matters too much who plays, if anyone.

there is a similar post on the polls board...

the idea of the anzac day game came from K Sheedy and he recalled the 1977 game b/w richmond and collingwood that drew 90k +... the day would lose nothing if these two clubs played

Collingwood v Richmond would be a good day i reckon.

NJot sure about Carlton, their supporters have always been a little bandwagoney and the Blues are headed for the bottom four. Could be some below average crowds in the coming years.

you should do a little research before making such claims..

carlton v collingwood is and always has been the biggest drawing game in football... even when the other is down the bottom (magpies 90's and carlton 00's) the games consistently attracted 80k+...

outside of public holiday games ... this is only the game that sells itself to consistently attract big crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back