Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carter actually suggests reducing playing lists by two players if Tasmania were to enter as team 19. He doesn't suggest this because there's not enough talent to go around though, more as a way for the AFL to save money.

He says there is no issue with the size of the talent pool, as population growth is outpacing talent pool growth, and players are playing for longer than they used to.

might even improve the talent pool win/win. Reduce costs, more competition to get on a list

McLachlan reasons that a standalone Tassie team 'wouldn't sit high enough in the league tiers of wealth' (classic 'corporate speak'), but I bet they're higher than the other expansion sides.

Doesn't take a cynic to conclude that McLachlan is very comfortable with millions being withdrawn from the Hawks and North's bottom line as he would assume it effectively forces everyone involved to bend to the AFL's wishes.

I don't know about the two clubs, but Gutwein isn't going to compromise or be forced into anything. Tassie deserved a side way before the last expansion and once again the AFL is trying to screw them over.

This AFL administration is spectacularly good at getting as much of the general public to despise them as possible. Had a whole one day basking in the glory of a full expansion of the women's comp, then straight into this fiasco.

AFL funds VFL teams more than any of the traditional state teams, yet they can't find money to support one team in a traditional state.

No matter where a 19th team came from it would increase the revenue pie.

11 Extra games per season.

Flexible fixture to allow for:

Thursday night game every single week

Extra games on public holidays

Tasmania just in extra TV rights would cover the cost of the team.

McLachlan reasons that a standalone Tassie team 'wouldn't sit high enough in the league tiers of wealth' (classic 'corporate speak'), but I bet they're higher than the other expansion sides.

Doesn't take a cynic to conclude that McLachlan is very comfortable with millions being withdrawn from the Hawks and North's bottom line as he would assume it effectively forces everyone involved to bend to the AFL's wishes.

I don't know about the two clubs, but Gutwein isn't going to compromise or be forced into anything. Tassie deserved a side way before the last expansion and once again the AFL is trying to screw them over.

This AFL administration is spectacularly good at getting as much of the general public to despise them as possible. Had a whole one day basking in the glory of a full expansion of the women's comp, then straight into this fiasco.

you’d think they’d have to make the call back end of 2022/2023 leading into the next broadcast deal commencing 2025.

I reckon Gutwein holds the cards here. AFL needs that Tas cash until that time

What a joke. As Carter points out, a Tasmanian team doesn't need to be top of the 'wealth ladder'—it just needs to be affordable, and both the business case and the independent review of the business case say that it is. The AFL has no where to hide on this matter. They don't have any more excuses.

Gutwein needs AFL games down there so he can keep getting his photograph in the local media doing a handball or perhaps even a drop punt.

Gutwein needs AFL games down there so he can keep getting his photograph in the local media doing a handball or perhaps even a drop punt.

you’re kidding right? Couldn’t imagine how good it would feel as a Taswegian sticking to the AFL. And they deserve it.

you’d think they’d have to make the call back end of 2022/2023 leading into the next broadcast deal commencing 2025.

I reckon Gutwein holds the cards here. AFL needs that Tas cash until that time

Yeah mate, that's the way I see it.

Gutwein isn't going to back down one iota either, he'll switch to wrecking ball mode and be in every ear possible about it.

What a joke. As Carter points out, a Tasmanian team doesn't need to be top of the 'wealth ladder'—it just needs to be affordable, and both the business case and the independent review of the business case say that it is. The AFL has no where to hide on this matter. They don't have any more excuses.

A Tassie side was more affordable than the expansion sides and even more so now, but they're still getting shafted.

Disgraceful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the horse's mouth...
“The main argument, most of my paper is spent on establishing that the team is financially doable for the AFL, a 19th licence does work and I think that’s really important because that’s the big threshold question that has never been addressed, but there are risks attached to that.

“The main argument, most of my paper is spent on establishing that the team is financially doable for the AFL, a 19th licence does work and I think that’s really important because that’s the big threshold question that has never been addressed, but there are risks attached to that.

& the risks suggest?

he’s a smart man Colin. He knows no club is going to relocate. Focusing the debate on that option and sinking it early means there’s really only one alternative and that’s a 19th team in Tas.

The AFL is essentially a ministry of the Vic government, everything is done through that lens.

Currently $8 million of Tasmanian Government money is paid directly to 2 VFL teams.

Apparently 90,000 Tasmanians are signed up to mainly VFL teams. Again money flowing into Vic.

Tasmanians already watch footy. It means no extra $ for the AFL/Victoria.

These are the parameters. Forget all the other arguments, they are red herrings.

Okay :confused:

I do know that Hawthorn right now has 77,000 members (despite b2b bottom 4 finishes and being touted to have the worst list in the league), has the 3rd largest revenue in the league and the second best NTA.

That said we do have an absolute campaigner as president, a dead weight CEO and are in the midst of a civil war so anything is possible.

I wouldn’t put it past Kennett to push Hawthorn to relocate to Tasmania given his public comments in the past.

It would be illogical and stupid but so was paying a 4 x premiership coach $1m to sit on a beach and renewing a CEO to a 5 year contract despite bombing on every metric.

Kennett is probably the worst person to have as president given the environment

That's great, so why does Hawthorn with it's NTA (interesting make up of assets there by the way) need to sell games to Tasmania? Especially with a such a massive membership who must be selling our their Vic home games right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back