Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great, so why does Hawthorn with it's NTA (interesting make up of assets there by the way) need to sell games to Tasmania? Especially with a such a massive membership who must be selling our their Vic home games right?

Perhaps its the future of pokies that are in question, where sponsorship from Tas is more endurable ?

Biggest misstep the league has made in the last 20 years is not getting North to the Gold Coast. It has paved the way for every misstep and injustice that followed.
Increasingly convinced that you are one of Graham Cornes's sons - username is code for My Father is Graham, not to mention your being a Port Adelaide supporter - and you are still bitter about dad being dropped after a handful of games for North 40+ years ago.

Otherwise your irrational hatred of North Melbourne is, well, irrational.

Increasingly convinced that you are one of Graham Cornes's sons - username is code for My Father is Graham, not to mention your being a Port Adelaide supporter - and you are still bitter about dad being dropped after a handful of games for North 40+ years ago.

Otherwise your irrational hatred of North Melbourne is, well, irrational.
He's not wrong, North should have been moved. Its not right that teams making a profit need to subsidise teams not, especially in established markets

I definitely want a stand alone Tasmanian team and 19 teams could absolutely work. I just hope that there is a better way of setting up a initial squad rather than compromising the draft as much as it was for GWS and the Suns.
If the new team is rubbish for 10 or 20 years that’s just bad luck

I definitely want a stand alone Tasmanian team and 19 teams could absolutely work. I just hope that there is a better way of setting up a initial squad rather than compromising the draft as much as it was for GWS and the Suns.
If the new team is rubbish for 10 or 20 years that’s just bad luck
How about they just get access to all Tasmanian talent in the draft?

Trouble is it is spot on. The AFL took the easy way out & the game is paying for it.
Cant see any appetite for hard decisions in the current administration & the Commission is impotent.

At the risk of repeating something that has been posted a hundred times, the AFL cannot make a club relocate. Not a hard decision, not a decision they are able to make.

At the risk of repeating something that has been posted a hundred times, the AFL cannot make a club relocate. Not a hard decision, not a decision they are able to make.

Relocate: you are spot on.

There are other ways to achieve that result, see how South Melbourne ended up in Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trouble is it is spot on. The AFL took the easy way out & the game is paying for it.

Once again. The AFL had NO power to force North Melbourne to move to the Gold Coast in 2007. None at all.

Why do you persist with this?

Certainly the AFL could have made life difficult for North in the coming years, but it would have been messy, drawn out and caused untold angst and bad publicity and possibly court action. Wookie has explained how very clearly. The process of forcing a reluctant club out would have taken years. I'm sure the AFL would have had the help Caroline Wilson in the same way the AFL had the help of Mike Sheahan in the 1990s.

the Commission is impotent.

If the Commission is impotent now then they were equally impotent in 2007. They had NO power to force North Melbourne to move to the Gold Coast in 2007. The AFL couldn't even force Fitzroy to merge or relocate in the 1990s.

Once again. The AFL had NO power to force North Melbourne to move to the Gold Coast in 2007. None at all.

Certainly the AFL could have made life difficult for North in the coming years, but it would have been messy, drawn out and caused untold angst and bad publicity and possibly court action. Wookie has explained how very clearly. The process of forcing a reluctant club out would have taken years. I'm sure the AFL would have had the help Caroline Wilson in the same way the AFL had the help of Mike Sheahan in the 1990s.

If the Commission is impotent now then they were equally impotent in 2007. They had NO power to force North Melbourne to move to the Gold Coast in 2007. The AFL couldn't even force Fitzroy to merge or relocate in the 1990s.

They CAN remove the bank guarantee as I have pointed out previously & I know you disagree. My commercial experience says it can.

People will never get it mate, trust me. I've been telling people this for 10 years. It'll be posted again tomorrow, and the next day, etc.

How many times a week do you have to remind people that Fitzroy didn't merge? It's the same thing.

How about they just get access to all Tasmanian talent in the draft?
They definitely need priority access at their first draft. I just don’t get this obsession the AFL has with getting new teams up to standard ASAP and gifting them all the talent. Who cares if it takes 10,20 or 30 years for them to play finals

He's not wrong, North should have been moved. Its not right that teams making a profit need to subsidise teams not, especially in established markets
We could have ****ed off the Eagles to Tassie when your mob was insolvent, instead us WA taxpayers stepped in and bailed you out. And this is the thanks we get.

How many times a week do you have to remind people that Fitzroy didn't merge? It's the same thing.
For all intents and purposes, they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back