Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends.

Population density matters little in the 21st century.

It’s really the penetration of the brand and the number of 2nd and 3rd generation Tasmanians on the mainland that would jump on board.

AFL clubs are brands and geography matters little.

Whether this broad base is larger and has greater penetration than the Gold Coast, GWS and arguably the smaller Melb clubs (NM, Melb, St K and WB) I guess is the point of the report.

It’s the same argument for Port Adelaide’s admission to the AFL in 1997

Port Adelaide’s admission was probably a mistake.

They could if both clubs voluntarily agreed to merge. As I said, it was ironic that the AFL helped block Nortb and Fitzroy (who had both agreed to merge with each other) from actually doing so.

Even merging one club would eventually take over. Just like in business. For the most part true mergers are a thing of fantasy.

For sporting clubs its even harder because people are often wedded to their club from birth.

Port Adelaide’s admission was probably a mistake.

Port Adelaide’s base is larger than NM, WB, Melb and St K.

A second Adelaide team (for FP and AO) was compelling and Port Adelaide is the only option with 35% of the market.

In addition, a second SA club created the Showdown and saturates the SA media landscape which is great for Channel 7 and the Advertiser...

The PA issues it would appear stem from petty SANFL politics - much like WA pre the WA Commission into football.

I actually think Port Adelaide is a more comparable model for Tasmania than Geelong (they don’t have Melbourne on their doorstep but they have a legacy brand thanks to 150 years of tradition throughout Australia)

Remove that hand break and they are fine.

Last edited:
Victoria has 10 teams with 5.6m people and Tasmania has 0 teams with a population of 0.5m

Consider the fan base between Collingwood and North Melbourne is huge.

Tasmania is a football state and will be lost in time if another code puts a team there.
Which code? Only the AFL can afford to subsidise a club down there.

There are only 3 codes - AFL, NRL and A-League. NRL has no interest at all. A-League is very poorly run and can’t afford it.

Even merging one club would eventually take over. Just like in business. For the most part true mergers are a thing of fantasy.

For sporting clubs its even harder because people are often wedded to their club from birth.

West Torrens and Woodville merged in the SANFL. Which of those clubs took over?

Which code? Only the AFL can afford to subsidise a club down there.

There are only 3 codes - AFL, NRL and A-League. NRL has no interest at all. A-League is very poorly run and can’t afford it.
Do the AFL need to subside a team there?

AFL distributions are between $10-$20 per team per year.

Tasmania say gets $10m distributions that's already 20-25% of revenue needed for a AFL team.

North Melbourne last years revenue was $32m and the AFL distribution was $14m.

Saint Kilda revenue was $36.4 and AFL distribution was $16.8

A Tasmania team is way more financial viable than at least 2 Melbourne teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They could if both clubs voluntarily agreed to merge. As I said, it was ironic that the AFL helped block Nortb and Fitzroy (who had both agreed to merge with each other) from actually doing so.

The Hawks Melbourne proposed merger is another example of attempting to deal with too many teams in Melbourne.

Do the AFL need to subside a team there?

AFL distributions are between $10-$20 per team per year.

Tasmania say gets $10m distributions that's already 20-25% of revenue needed for a AFL team.

North Melbourne last years revenue was $32m and the AFL distribution was $14m.

Saint Kilda revenue was $36.4 and AFL distribution was $16.8

A Tasmania team is way more financial viable than at least 2 Melbourne teams.

16th for revenue according to the report. And that hasnt been disputed by Gutwein.

Gutwein should threaten to redirect most of the football funding towards basketball/the JackJumpers (and potentially the pursuit of an A-League licence as well) unless they get a definitive commitment from the AFL about getting their own team.

Having heard Colin Carter on an interview since yesterday, he made a lot of sense with what he said overall.
He is virtually saying if it was put to a vote now, to enter a Tassie team, the clubs would knock it back, which I think is right, given current circumstances.
If we get out of this Co-Vid crap era sooner than it looking right now, I think clubs would vote on it then with more clarity.
The bottom line is he said Tassie should have a team and if it needed to be via a 19th club, then that should happen but he also saying right now, there no chance clubs would let it happen so it best not put to a vote right now.

In the meantime he is just saying other clubs like St.Kilda (without him mentioning names of clubs) should at least investigate the opportunity to either relocate their whole club as South Melbourne did or some form of joint venture with Tassie. I assumed that would mean 9 home games in Tassie, 8 games in Victoria of which 2 would be designated home games. I guess if Saints were to play 5 away games at Docklands, 1 away game at MCG , 2 home games at Moorabin and their other 9 home games in Tassie that would be some form of joint venture with Tassie but they would need to change their name to something like Southern Saints to have any hope of it being workable. The Saints would then have two markets for fans of Tasmania and their Saints fans in Melbourne but like Swans it would take generations for their fan base in Tasmania to be grown. I would think only children from Tassie would start following Saints and they grow their base from there, long term. I personally do not expect that to be a goer but he is just saying at least investigate such ideas in the interim.

Having heard Colin Carter on an interview since yesterday, he made a lot of sense with what he said overall.
He is virtually saying if it was put to a vote now, to enter a Tassie team, the clubs would knock it back, which I think is right, given current circumstances.
If we get out of this Co-Vid crap era sooner than it looking right now, I think clubs would vote on it then with more clarity.
The bottom line is he said Tassie should have a team and if it needed to be via a 19th club, then that should happen but he also saying right now, there no chance clubs would let it happen so it best not put to a vote right now.

In the meantime he is just saying other clubs like St.Kilda (without him mentioning names of clubs) should at least investigate the opportunity to either relocate their whole club as South Melbourne did or some form of joint venture with Tassie. I assumed that would mean 9 home games in Tassie, 8 games in Victoria of which 2 would be designated home games. I guess if Saints were to play 5 away games at Docklands, 1 away game at MCG , 2 home games at Moorabin and their other 9 home games in Tassie that would be some form of joint venture with Tassie but they would need to change their name to something like Southern Saints to have any hope of it being workable. The Saints would then have two markets for fans of Tasmania and their Saints fans in Melbourne but like Swans it would take generations for their fan base in Tasmania to be grown. I would think only children from Tassie would start following Saints and they grow their base from there, long term. I personally do not expect that to be a goer but he is just saying at least investigate such ideas in the interim.
Tasmania wants their own team.

Gutwein should threaten to redirect most of the football funding towards basketball/the JackJumpers (and potentially the pursuit of an A-League licence as well) unless they get a definitive commitment from the AFL about getting their own team.

The money is based around sports tourism & I'd hope it doesnt disappear back into general revenue.
Tas continues to support Supercars for example & Supercars treat Tas with respect, not a strong point of the AFL/Gil adminstration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back