Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a number of issues that this report have thrown up and they are not all mutually exclusive.

1. Should the AFL increase the number of clubs in the competition ??

In my opinion, definitely "YES".

2. What should be the maximum number of teams in the AFL ??

I'd like to see 22 clubs in total.

3. Should the number of teams based in Victoria be reduced ??

This is a polarizing argument but I'm firmly in the "YES" camp on it.

4. If there is to be a reduction in Victoria-based clubs, then how many clubs in total should there be ??

There are currently 10 clubs in Victoria so it is my opinion that number should be reduced down to 7 (i.e. 6 in Melbourne plus Geelong)

5. Should a reduction of Victoria-based clubs be based on mergers or relocations ??

A combination of the two with one merger and two relocations.

6. Where should the new AFL entities be based ??

Tasmania
Canberra
second Brisbane club
Central Coast
Illawarra
Sunshine Coast
third Sydney club

7. Which locations should get the next AFL licences ??

Tasmania & Canberra

8. Should the next two AFL entities be relocated clubs or newly created clubs ??

Newly created.
Two more teams in Queensland you say?
What could possibly go wrong??
Quit the day drinking mate!!

AFL can bail out St KIlda and North Melbourne, yet they say no to a Tassie Team.

That’s a good point.

It’s a bit like the VFL to AFL shift, it’s the bias towards incumbency.

My point is that the Saints revenue is distorted by the huge AFL distribution (40 per cent of total revenue) to keep them solvent.

Back in 1986 the only solvent VFL clubs were Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn (and in the 15 years that followed Carlton and Hawthorn had periods where they almost closed the doors)

I suspect it only seems like that because it would seem, they were such small clubs each, that not enough people followed either to rally around for anything different. Do the same to clubs followed a lot more and it would be painful. I imagine if Norwood and Glenelg were tried to merg back then it would have been painful and the clubs much bigger in SA than those two smaller fish clubs in that Adelaide SANFL context.
As I explained above it was fairly painless because from the WT perspective they were as good as dead anyway. They were in a old residential area with no real growth margin and they were technically insolvent so were about to be wound up anyway. Woodville had no real support as they were are new club with that had only been in existence for 27 years and were started purely out of spite by the SANFL. Woodville was pure Port Adelaide heartland and by creating a team there the SANFL was hoping to weaken Port who were the dominant side in not only the West but in the League. The merger pretty much righted some of the wrongs that were done in the past. If Woodville hadn’t of been rushed in I wonder if WT could have survived in its own right?

The AFL clearly likes the relocated Victorian team model that's worked well for them in Sydney (and arguably Brisbane as well).

Around 20% of the Sydney Swans membership base is located in Victoria. If that could be replicated with a Tasmanian team then the AFL would be very happy. Ensure reasonably strong support in Victoria while also building local support over the initial decade/s in the competition. These days the Swans and Lions are strong brands in Melbourne that have good support in both Sydney and Brisbane respectively. This is ideal for the AFL with the prospective Tasmanian team.

It would also reduce over saturation in the Victoria market as well as evening out the amount of teams inside and outside of Vic (9 in Vic, 9 outside of Vic). It would feel more like a national competition once there are more games played outside of Victoria than the amount played inside Victoria each week.

As I explained above it was fairly painless because from the WT perspective they were as good as dead anyway. They were in a old residential area with no real growth margin and they were technically insolvent so were about to be wound up anyway. Woodville had no real support as they were are new club with that had only been in existence for 27 years and were started purely out of spite by the SANFL. Woodville was pure Port Adelaide heartland and by creating a team there the SANFL was hoping to weaken Port who were the dominant side in not only the West but in the League. The merger pretty much righted some of the wrongs that were done in the past. If Woodville hadn’t of been rushed in I wonder if WT could have survived in its own right?
So rather than 4 people being upset, only 3 were and the new club now has 2 supporters?

Admitting them wasn't the mistake. Not having two Adelaide sides come in at the same time was the mistake.
Same in Perth.

Carter noted this in his report on page 14 - (The recommendation in the 1985 report that led to the national competition was that two clubs in each of Perth and Adelaide should start at the same time to prevent the first club in that city receiving a huge advantage that would last forever. Football politics scuttled this and so one club in each city has been dealt a winning hand)

The AFL clearly likes the relocated Victorian team model that's worked well for them in Sydney (and arguably Brisbane as well).
It is not the same at all. Sydney was not a football market so no footy fans to upset in Sydney by relocating a team there.
Tasmania are football fans already. Many of them are not going to just embrace a relocated team there. It is nothing like South Melbourne in financial strife, relocating to Sydney and becoming the Sydney Swans.
The AFL does not clearly like a relocated Victorian team model.
Colin Carter has simply suggested it as one of the options to investigate but expects the model that will happen is a new club in Tassie becomes the 19th club in time. Just not now.

Same in Perth.

Some would say 3 teams in Perth.

People forget the original Eagles owners went belly up. The Brisbane Bears early ownership roundabout faced similar problems when the VFL tried to extract money by selling licences at the latter months of 1986.

Two teams in Perth, would either have been viable then?

Around 20% of the Sydney Swans membership base is located in Victoria. If that could be replicated with a Tasmanian team then the AFL would be very happy. Ensure reasonably strong support in Victoria while also building local support over the initial decade/s in the competition. These days the Swans and Lions are strong brands in Melbourne that have good support in both Sydney and Brisbane respectively. This is ideal for the AFL with the prospective Tasmanian team.

It would also reduce over saturation in the Victoria market as well as evening out the amount of teams inside and outside of Vic (9 in Vic, 9 outside of Vic). It would feel more like a national competition once there are more games played outside of Victoria than the amount played inside Victoria each week.

While the AFL may like it I think there has been enough noise from Tasmania that it won't work as well as Sydney and Brisbane. The biggest difference with those two was that two Victorian teams moved north to non-Australian Rules markets. I think to move a team south just won't get the buy-in from the locals as it will always be seen as a Victorian cast-off.

Carter's report is really half pregnant. It says every option is viable and doesn't really say one model is so far superior that it trumps the other options. I think it would have been more prudent to have a timeframe that said (for example) "if no current AFL team wants to move within 5 years then create a 19th licence."

There are a number of issues that this report have thrown up and they are not all mutually exclusive.

1. Should the AFL increase the number of clubs in the competition ??

In my opinion, definitely "YES".

2. What should be the maximum number of teams in the AFL ??

I'd like to see 22 clubs in total.

3. Should the number of teams based in Victoria be reduced ??

This is a polarizing argument but I'm firmly in the "YES" camp on it.

4. If there is to be a reduction in Victoria-based clubs, then how many clubs in total should there be ??

There are currently 10 clubs in Victoria so it is my opinion that number should be reduced down to 7 (i.e. 6 in Melbourne plus Geelong)

5. Should a reduction of Victoria-based clubs be based on mergers or relocations ??

A combination of the two with one merger and two relocations.

6. Where should the new AFL entities be based ??

Tasmania
Canberra
second Brisbane club
Central Coast
Illawarra
Sunshine Coast
third Sydney club

7. Which locations should get the next AFL licences ??

Tasmania & Canberra

8. Should the next two AFL entities be relocated clubs or newly created clubs ??

Newly created.

Wow 100s of 2nd tier players rebranded as AFL footballers - why not just follow 2nd tier footy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So rather than 4 people being upset, only 3 were and the new club now has 2 supporters?
The Crows had been put together in 1990 and announced to enter in 1991 and once that happened the writing was on the wall. The WT/Woodville merger took place in 1990 also. Without the merger I doubt either would have survived.
All SANFL clubs have been decimated of support since the AFL invasion

It’s happened once, 40 years ago. Bit of a stretch to say they like it.

It is not the same at all. Sydney was not a football market so no footy fans to upset in Sydney by relocating a team there.
Tasmania are football fans already. Many of them are not going to just embrace a relocated team there. It is nothing like South Melbourne in financial strife, relocating to Sydney and becoming the Sydney Swans.
The AFL does not clearly like a relocated Victorian team model.
Colin Carter has simply suggested it as one of the options to investigate but expects the model that will happen is a new club in Tassie becomes the 19th club in time. Just not now.
While the AFL may like it I think there has been enough noise from Tasmania that it won't work as well as Sydney and Brisbane. The biggest difference with those two was that two Victorian teams moved north to non-Australian Rules markets. I think to move a team south just won't get the buy-in from the locals as it will always be seen as a Victorian cast-off.

Carter's report is really half pregnant. It says every option is viable and doesn't really say one model is so far superior that it trumps the other options. I think it would have been more prudent to have a timeframe that said (for example) "if no current AFL team wants to move within 5 years then create a 19th licence."

Here is the quote from Gil yesterday regarding the relocation option - "(It) would arguably produce a more sustainable outcome and therefore should be considered before a 19th licence."

They don't seem to want a 19th licence according to this quote and Carter's report backs this up by saying it's not financially responsible to do so in the Covid environment. They've literally said they will consider a relocation or JV option before a 19th licence.

This talk or future discussion of possible relocations

I dont go to the football - im only a TV watcher - however if it was the team i supporterd - i couldnt careless if they were based on Mars . The one non negotiable factor for me to keep supporting - is the jumper- as longeras its exactly the same - then that is everything in my opinion - and im happy

I can remember the early days of the Swans - they were going terrible company cars being repossessed - broke - Buckenara had coached the team to 20 losses in a row - and there was a huge push in Syd - look if you want to get the Syd public at all interested - then you have to change the jumper colours to the sky blue of NSW - and they considered that

Thank goodness they kept the red and the white - that kept all the original Swans /Sth Melb supporters on board - as evidenced by the 10k who attended the Swans v Eagles game at KP

To me for a football club - compared to its jumper and its colours - everything else is irrelevant

The report says that there are only two avenues to improve competitive balance

- multi-decade dominance which is not possible with the salary cap, draft and financial equalisation (citing Hawthorn 1971 to 1991)
- relocation (citing Sydney post 1982)

Colin Carter is an ex AFL Commissioner, Club president and was consulted by the AFL to prepare the report so it’s fair to say he is a bit of an insider.

Given relocation was the original approach to the Gold Coast I would say that the commission and executive probably have a preference for it (although they knocked back Fitzroy’s attempts to relocate to Canberra Roylion )

Last edited:
The report says that there are only two avenues to improve competitive balance

- multi-decade dominance which is not possible with the salary cap, draft and financial equalisation (citing Hawthorn 1971 to 1991)
- relocation (citing Sydney post 1982)

Given Colin Carter is an ex AFL Commissioner, Club president and was consulted by the AFL to prepare the report it’s fair to say he is a bit of an insider.

Given relocation was the original approach to the Gold Coast I would say that the commission and executive probably have a preference for it (although they knocked by Fitzroy’s attempts at a relocation to Canberra Roylion )

Lost me, only two ways to improve competitive balance, then:
current salary cap/ draft/ financial equalisation
&/or
relocation?

Is that what is meant?

The Crows had been put together in 1990 and announced to enter in 1991 and once that happened the writing was on the wall. The WT/Woodville merger took place in 1990 also. Without the merger I doubt either would have survived.
All SANFL clubs have been decimated of support since the AFL invasion

2nd tier footy isnt supported.

Lost me, only two ways to improve competitive balance, then:
current salary cap/ draft/ financial equalisation
&/or
relocation?

Is that what is meant?

I think he means to lift individual clubs position on the wealth ladder relative to other clubs - he makes the point that the most popular Victorian clubs are growing faster than the least popular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back