Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perhaps build a rail line between Hobart and Launceston. It may sound stupid but I think the AFL would feel more comfortable if it only took an hour to get between the two cities.
There's already a rail line between Hobart and Launceston.

Good on him. It's about time.

I'm a Tasmanian by birth and my love for the game developed there. I was watching North Launceston play at York Park from the late 60s onwards.

The AFL could easily back a Tasmanian team but they won't. Because they have lost sight of the fact that they are supposed to develop the game itself as well as run the national competition. It's all about money to those ****s. And sadly that attitude has trickled down to many modern supporters.

I'm sick of seeing of Tasmania being fed crumbs by the AFL in the form of sending Hawthorn and North down there to play. If I was still living there I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in watching either of those two clubs play.

Don't relocate a side there. Many Tasmanians have existing clubs and they are not going to support (insert name of relocated club parading as Tasmania) because they are the enemy.

It needs to be a new, start from scratch, club. Base it (training, admin) in Hobart. Split the games evenly between Hobart and Launnie.

Tasmanians don't need to abandon existing club support. They can support (insert name of existing club) and the Tassie side at the same time. The modern fixture makes it easy. Attend home games for Tassie in person and watch their own team on TV.

When their existing team is playing Tassie in Tassie then support the existing team.

I really don't think that membership would be an issue. As well as local support, there are plenty of proud expats (like myself) who would sign up in a heartbeat.

To consider the AFL as a truly national competition without Tassie in it is farcical, given the state's contribution to the game. The state needs its own AFL side.

We've been through this before with cricket by the way. Despite Tasmania hosting the first ever Australian f-c match in 1850-51, and the Sheffield Shield beginning in 1892-93, it took the dipsticks at the ACB until 1977-78 to admit Tasmania. The AFL are as equally disrespectful and moronic as the cricket authorities were.

Last edited:
I’ve got no issues if Hawthorn re-locate to Tasmania.

Good luck to the club, and the state of Tassie are getting a bloody strong footy club and rock solid organsistion.
Don't dump an existing club on Tassie thanks.

He's on the money. Without selling 4 home games per season for the last 20 odd years Hawthorn's Balance Sheet would be looking pretty awful. Kennett knows the significance of the Tasmanian deal. But the Tasmanian government will do the best for their state regardless.

No it wouldn't. You're making stuff up. Maybe stick to talking about your own club.

No it wouldn't. You're making stuff up. Maybe stick to talking about your own club.
You would be in an ok position not struggling but you definitely wouldn’t be the financial powerhouse you are today without going to Tasmania. You basically sold four games that you were losing money on each season into multi million dollar profits as well as having one the best jumper sponsor deals in the comp as well as adding close to 10,000 Tasmanian members

You would be in an ok position not struggling but you definitely wouldn’t be the financial powerhouse you are today without going to Tasmania. You basically sold four games that you were losing money on each season into multi million dollar profits as well as having one the best jumper sponsor deals in the comp as well as adding close to 10,000 Tasmanian members
I'd be interested to know how much the Tasmanian arrangement has been worth to Hawthorn since it began.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you talk about Richmond in a Tassie thread?

Unless it's about Royce Hart or Michael Roach maybe?

I mean maybe?

Wed be no St Kilda that’s for sure :drunk:

I'd be interested to know how much the Tasmanian arrangement has been worth to Hawthorn since it began.

As a naming rights partner, major sponsor, commercial partner and 4 game competent?

Evidently Hawthorn’s net asset position is $56,512,000 (the most recent report published) which is second only to West Coast in the league for those playing at home (and does not include the Hawthorn forever / George Harris donation which is ~ $25,000,000)

So, a pretty rich club albeit with only $7,750,000 (land price) plus town planning and earth works so far committed to Dingley (the $25m from the hawthorn forever foundation and $20m from the Federal Government has not been included)

So technically the price for the land, development and ground works (up to $10m in total) plus the $25m raised from members and $20m from the Feds

Last edited:
That guys definitely getting voted back in next time around.
Good on them, love seeing someone stick it to the w***ers at AFL house.

haha, like McGowan did? He was that upset that the AFL didn't give 'him' the grand final that he stuck it to them by keeping WA in stage 4 restrictions, which WA still has now. Come the start of the season, the Eagles first game is at home against Gold Coast on 21 March with only a 50% crowd allowed in.

Yep, he showed them.

Now the cynic in me says that he's keeping that in his pocket until just before the election which is 8 days earlier. He'll announce WA is transitioning to stage 5 just in time and will go to the polls an even bigger hero.

Perth deserve a third team over Tasmania

Who would support them locally? They'd have to base them somewhere outside the metro area to try and get that region's people as their supporter base, but where could you do that over there? The population is so concentrated and the rest is so sparsely spread out. Do you try and get Albany, Busselton and Bunbury on board or are they all spoken for?

Papi Gutwein is the most popular premier we've had for a long time.

Good on him for standing up to the AFL. I've been saying for years that I'd rather have no footy than to keep propping up Victorian clubs while we get no closer to having our own team.

The AFL could really do with the government's money right now, so this might just work.

Would you support a standalone Tassie team over Richmond?

Im not sure the league has the talent to field 19 sides. It's already been diluted with GWS and Gold Coast coming through.

Tassie really dropped off for a number of years with their youngsters being drafted, perhaps a standalone team would really ignite their local footy.

It's another 40 blokes who wouldn't be playing AFL if it weren't for a new side. If you add that on top of the extra 2 clubs the AFL bought in to make it an 18 team comp you're looking at roughly 6 players per team that wouldn't have been on a list before these new clubs came in. That's a large percentage when a club only has 40 list spots.
They just cut 80 blokes from all lists in the list reduction, so there's actually already at least a teams worth ready who were already in the afl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back