Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Tassie can afford this you guys obviously get too much GST

Yup. GST, not the fact that for the last 4 quarters Tasmania has had the best performing economy in the nation. Meanwhile your state is blowing up ancient cultural sites for a bit of iron ore.

Do you SERIOUSLY not understand that Tasmania is the dullest, poorest and most boring state by a fair mile?

Lived in Melbourne for two years and moved back in January last year. Lifestyle quality is so much better in Tasmania. Spent 850k, got a 4 bedroom house 10 minute walk from the city centre with city and mountain skyline views, absolute bliss. In Melbourne I'd be lucky to get a small townhouse in Footscray for that.

All I miss from Melbourne was the food from a wide variety of cultures and live footy.

Melbournes July weather is between 14-6 degrees
Hobart in July is between 12-5 degrees
Thats is bugger all difference.

Melbourne is far windier city which with the cold gives a wind chill factor far colder

Yup. I didn't notice a single bit of difference in temperature between Melbourne and Hobart in my 2 years there. It just rains so much more in Melbourne and there's more humidity in summer, that was the big difference.

Lived in Melbourne for two years and moved back in January last year. Lifestyle quality is so much better in Tasmania. Spent 850k, got a 4 bedroom house 10 minute walk from the city centre with city and mountain skyline views, absolute bliss. In Melbourne I'd be lucky to get a small townhouse in Footscray for that.

All I miss from Melbourne was the food from a wide variety of cultures and live footy.

Hobart has a pretty good food scene, though obviously there's a lot less options than Melbourne

Do you really think that they would make a decision that would commit them to paying out hundreds of millions of dollars after a quick read through?

No analysis of the report?
No assessment of the impact if would have on the league?
No consideration as to the results of Covid on both the existing and potential finances of the league and clubs?
No thought put into other potential options and their consequences?

Do you really think that?
They are going to get an independent contractor to go through the report if that was the plan why didn’t they do that when they got it 12 months ago?? they only brought two new clubs recently so would think they would have a pretty good idea on what it took to make it happen and the impact it would have on the league it’s pretty obvious they have no intentions of having a stand-alone team in Tasmania if they came out we’re honest about it then everyone could just move on

The reality is that there is zero chance of AFL making a commitment to Tassie any time soon. The financial impact of covid has put a Tassie team down to number 172 of the agenda items.
Well then that’s exactly what they should have came out and said instead of some bullshit about needing 12 months

Peter Gutwein seems to think so
When mount Wellington is covered in snow Hobart is both beautiful and cold, very cold.

I spent most of my time in Launceston, where the team will spend some time and that's a different level of cold.

I'm not talking tassie down as I loved my time there, I'm just trying to get my head around them not having issues of want away draftees.
Well the Gold Coast and Brisbane are warm areas and they have had the worst player retention issues in the comp over the last decade so are you still putting it all down to weather?

The reality is that there is zero chance of AFL making a commitment to Tassie any time soon. The financial impact of covid has put a Tassie team down to number 172 of the agenda items.

The AFL itself said they only had a $22.8mil operating loss not the expected $100mil. They received job keeper payments, so are happy to receive tax payer support. The pittance they give to the State league has been slashed by 50%, they ended the fledgling womens state league after they pushed so hard to get it started just a few years ago.

The 'application' has been with them for 12 months. With some 800staff Im sure they could have read it by now, let alone take another 12months.

We're looking at a 5year plan. Not a team tomorrow. This is a football state (whats left of football anyway), so its much more willing & ready to get on with the job than some places were.

When mount Wellington is covered in snow Hobart is both beautiful and cold, very cold.

I spent most of my time in Launceston, where the team will spend some time and that's a different level of cold.

I'm not talking tassie down as I loved my time there, I'm just trying to get my head around them not having issues of want away draftees.

So how do recruits do in Canberra RL & RU? Both have had a bit of success & are usually pretty competitive, despite the 'arctic' winters. ;)

Geez, its even freezing in Penrith in winter but the Panthers survive it!!!

Climate change has its problems, but not in this case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne averages 30 days 30c +, Hobart averages 6. It is pretty similar

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In Winter, the footy season?

I mean really, can we forget the climate wars.

We're talking a winter sport.

It seems not to bother Melbourne teams in a wet winter city, or RL/RU/GWS in Canberra. Or FIFO clubs to Hobart/Launceston. US or European sports in far far colder conditions

Maybe focus on the main issues for a better 'discussion' ;).

Tasmanian winter is more enjoyable than here in Melbourne, as someone who has lived both places. You know what you're going to get for those 3 months of the year even if it's a bit colder, but you may as well spin a prize wheel to get Melbourne's weather.

Melbourne averages 30 days 30c +, Hobart averages 6. It is pretty similar

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is horse shit. This summer has been the coldest summer in Tassie that I remember and there's been at least 15 days of 30+ yesterday and the day before included.

Absolutely, the produce is higher quality in Hobart in a lot of instances. It's just choice that's the issue. Probably due to the super Anglo nature.
The foody scene here has become quite cosmopolitan over the last 20 years.

Its always had some amazing fish restaurants, & excellent produce in the other top end places.

Its all grown exponentially. More Asian style places. Looking at the faces around now, we should see more African food soon. So Plenty of variety, quality, & a growing coffee/cafe culture as well.

The North Hobart strip is likened to a little slice of Melbourne. I prefer the waterfront area here. I think the vibe trumps most other places in Australia. I've not been to Fremantle but I'm told its similar & pretty good too.

Money isn't the issue. It takes sfa for a state to fund an afl club.
The issue will always be player retention. If the Tassie government want a team down there then they need to invest in things that make it an attractive place for cashed up kids to spend their twenties. A major uni would be a nice start.
As Chisel said 'The money I make won't buy back my youth again.'

The foody scene here has become quite cosmopolitan over the last 20 years.

Its always had some amazing fish restaurants, & excellent produce in the other top end places.

Its all grown exponentially. More Asian style places. Looking at the faces around now, we should see more African food soon. So Plenty of variety, quality, & a growing coffee/cafe culture as well.

The North Hobart strip is likened to a little slice of Melbourne. I prefer the waterfront area here. I think the vibe trumps most other places in Australia. I've not been to Fremantle but I'm told its similar & pretty good too.
Sounds like a great place to retire.

Money isn't the issue. It takes sfa for a state to fund an afl club.
The issue will always be player retention. If the Tassie government want a team down there then they need to invest in things that make it an attractive place for cashed up kids to spend their twenties. A major uni would be a nice start.
As Chisel said 'The money I make won't buy back my youth again.'

The University of Tasmania has been around since 1890 and has over 40,000 students. Hobart is a pretty vibrant little place and offers an amazing lifestyle.

Yes you won’t get to do blow off t***ies at fancy nightclubs in Melbourne but elite players don’t get away with that these days anyway.

As a location for an elite sports team I think it would be great, and the players would be exceptionally well looked after.

This is horse sh*t. This summer has been the coldest summer in Tassie that I remember and there's been at least 15 days of 30+ yesterday and the day before included.

November 2020 : 2 http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/202011/html/IDCJDW7021.202011.shtml
December 2020 : 1 http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/202012/html/IDCJDW7021.202012.shtml
January 2021 : 2 (both were >35) http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/202101/html/IDCJDW7021.202101.shtml
(to 19th) February 2021 : 2 http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJDW7021.latest.shtml
I only did a quick scan of the tables, and may have missed some but probably not enough to reach 15.

Not that summer weather has anything to do with football weather. And if the Raiders and Brumbies can host Queensland teams on nights far colder than anything Hobart or Launceston produce (OK, wind chill at Bellerive can be another issue) then cold weather is not a factor.

I don't think Tas will be getting a team, but weather has nothing to do with it.

The University of Tasmania has been around since 1890 and has over 40,000 students. Hobart is a pretty vibrant little place and offers an amazing lifestyle.

Yes you won’t get to do blow off t***ies at fancy nightclubs in Melbourne but elite players don’t get away with that these days anyway.

As a location for an elite sports team I think it would be great, and the players would be exceptionally well looked after.

An AFL player would get treated like an absolute rock star in Hobart. They'd make West Coast Eagles players in Perth look like no names. Jon Patton should be the prime target. He'd love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back