Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

who was wearing the number 2 jersey on the weekend in albury then 🤷🏼‍♂️

And Melbourne Storm must be putting out fake news then

Being only the second-ever born and raised Victorian to play in the Melbourne Storm jersey is a pretty cool claim to fame for 18 year old Dean Ieremia.

Read what I posted.

He's not in the Storm senior 30 squad.

He's one of a few 'development' players.

Good luck to him , out of 5million, one young guy gets a run in a praccy match in Albury!.

If he gets into the full squad some day, then you can send up the skyrockets, 'generational change has started'!!!

90,000 existing paid up members in Tassie apparently. The Vic State Govt/AFL clearly doesn't want that to stop coming in supporting the Vic clubs. At let say $100 a pop that's $9 mill of Tassie money going to Vic clubs. On top of the money the Tassie State Govt puts in. Toot Toot.

The Tassie support for their VFL clubs won't die over night, but it will dissipate over time if they have their own club.

Is this the reverse 'generational change'? ;)

Maybe its all a psycho/social research paper from the marketing department of the AFL.

After AFLX they didn't have much to so thought. 'Lets destroy a small traditional market & spend 20x as much developing an area in SEQ'.

Who cares about the result, we've got money to burn. Then Covid19, ooops!

Next brainwave, they'll invent AFLY. Then after that it'll be AFLZ. ;)

Is this the reverse 'generational change'? ;)

Maybe its all a psycho/social research paper from the marketing department of the AFL.

After AFLX they didn't have much to so thought. 'Lets destroy a small traditional market & spend 20x as much developing an area in SEQ'.

Who cares about the result, we've got money to burn. Then Covid19, ooops!

Next brainwave, they'll invent AFLY. Then after that it'll be AFLZ. ;)

90,000! In a State of 540,000! That's 1 in every 6! And you don't even have a team of your own! No other state gets close to that kind of commitment!

Yet those campaigners in Melbourne treat you like 4th class citizens. It is quite frankly disgusting. They are literally laughing in your faces and making you pay for the privilege. Scurrilous. Unconscionable, Disgraceful.

I disagree with the reading of the demographics. I don't disagree with those figures. But figures are rubbery.
There's a lot of the right demographics in SE QLD right now. But that won't continue, those kids will up and leave at some point and the figures will look worse.
Demographically, I don't think the population growth will continue to give the results being forecast or even thought of.
You know you need actual arguments and evidence to convince people and not just feelings, right?

90,000! In a State of 540,000! That's 1 in every 6! And you don't even have a team of your own! No other state gets close to that kind of commitment!

Yet those campaigners in Melbourne treat you like 4th class citizens. It is quite frankly disgusting. They are literally laughing in your faces and making you pay for the privilege. Scurrilous. Unconscionable, Disgraceful.

This oft gets mentioned, but I still find it hard to believe.

Even so, I'd recon a lot would be the basic 3 game sort of thing. I mean, what's the benefit of a full membership when you cant get to the games each week or so?

The VFL attitude to Tasmania has just moved over to the AFL.

Despite the pretence of nationalising the game, Its the same mob really. With the same parochial self interests.

So show us where the 'feelings' of generational change fits in.
Certainly. See the following figures that I've already posted in response to you.
In 2011, Queensland had 125 000 participants in the game. In 2019, they had 270 000. And the Suns are responsible for promoting the game in Queensland's second biggest population centre, as well as North and Central Queensland. That's what matters to the AFL.

Last edited:
AFL will never dominate QLD or NSW
Never is a very long time.

the world is changing, there are other competing forces (many of which aren't even sporting).
I feel confident in saying that even though these competing forces exist, people will continue to enjoy watching professional sport.

This shows how unpopular the FIFO teams are here, especially North. Tasmanians want their own team!

View attachment 1067712
Lol @ absolutely nobody wanting North there alone. Clearly both sides realise it's just about the money and nothing else. Moving North to Tasmania would be a disaster for everybody.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big numbers.

Like Soccer, big numbers too.

Works for the A-league, not.
Part of Gold Coast's justification was not just to make money, but to increase participation in Queensland. This has been successfully achieved. The A-League is in an entirely different sport with a less successful track record of participation translating to financial gain than the AFL, and the two cannot be compared in this context. But since you're so adamant about scoffing at the previous numbers, here are some more for you.

Suns membership numbers by year:
2017 - 11,665
2018 - 12,108
2019 - 13,649
2020 - 16,236

I can certainly show you an example of what underinvestment & constant change with uncertainty does to a sport.
I'm sure you can, and I have a lot of sympathy for such an argument. But my comment was about Australian rules in Queensland and the curious need of some people to sh*t-talk it constantly, as though that makes the case for a Tasmanian team any stronger.

Part of Gold Coast's justification was not just to make money, but to increase participation in Queensland. This has been successfully achieved. The A-League is in an entirely different sport with a less successful track record of participation translating to financial gain than the AFL, and the two cannot be compared in this context. But since you're so adamant about scoffing at the previous numbers, here are some more for you.

Suns membership numbers by year:
2017 - 11,665
2018 - 12,108
2019 - 13,649
2020 - 16,236

I'm sure you can, and I have a lot of sympathy for such an argument. But my comment was about Australian rules in Queensland and the curious need of some people to sh*t-talk it constantly, as though that makes the case for a Tasmanian team any stronger.

That they're doing it is up to them.

The cost & inequity, the inclusions & 'exclusions' in the application of their approach to 'game development' is the issue.

They talk the talk. Its about time someone took their gab fest & lies & shoved it up their arzes.

At least having this in the media shows just how full of Szite they are.

AFLX, hahaha!! so professional. ;)

So give me evidence that in 30 years time more people WILL be playing AFL.

I think it obvious we have a lot less people playing the game here than we did 30 years ago.

So many clubs have ceased to exist. Yet the population has grown.

So many more playing soccer & Basketball now.

Probably increase the losses since FIFO clubs arrived.

Co-incidence? or Consequence?

Mate, all your doing is making an ASSUMPTION that more people will be playing based on a population PROJECTION.
You are not arguing from a position of fact.
I understand demographics. How populations grow, move, stay where they are, age, gentrify.
I know that outside of Anglo Saxon countries, few play contact sports such as AFL, NRL, NFL etc to any great level.
I know in the junior club at which I coach we have 0 Indian or Chinese players. We are absolutely desperate and would welcome anyone.
I do business plans often at work which involves getting as much information about a potential product or service and then understanding what the information tells me.
The information you provide is so completely unpersuasive. It merely suggests that there could (you think should) be an increase in AFL participation due to what something/one thinks/projects.
This entire discussion is based on this.
If we calculate what GC will cost for a 'return' in 30 years, it will be a $1bilion investment before you start to see a return. This is utterly ridiculous. No sensible business would see this as a good investment unless the returns were huge and guaranteed. This is neither.
We've seen that Tassie would be able to give a return in 1/3 that time.
But like I said GC is here and that's fine.
We should be talking about Tassie.

The current trend in NSW and Queensland, the biggest and third biggest states, is rising. And female participation is rising everywhere.
That's not a fact that more people of immigrant descent (1st generation) will be playing AFL in 30 years. It's a trend as you said. Ask the short sellers of GameStop what happens with trends.

That's not a fact that more people of immigrant descent (1st generation) will be playing AFL in 30 years. It's a trend as you said. Ask the short sellers of GameStop what happens with trends.
Are you implying that sport participation works the same way as share market speculation?

Also, you didn't say anything about first generation immigrants before. Your words were "So give me evidence that in 30 years time more people WILL be playing AFL", and I've shown you a rising trend that will continue barring an unforeseen massive collapse in populous states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back