Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

If you were given $1000 a week and the opportunity to get on an AFL list, would you give the club offering it a stupid ultimatum, or would you shut your mouth and do whatever it takes for them to pick you up?

I know what I’d be doing.
Where do I sign?

Was Elliott playing a deep or high forward role?
Elliott played a mixture of deep and high half forward. He also had stints in the centre square.

With those wings, where were Daicos and Sidebottom playing?
Olympic Park isn't the best venue to see across to the opposite wings, but Daicos and Sidebottom looked to be playing mostly in the centre. DeGoey and Adams weren't playing, so the mix may change.

Was Wilson key defender or third tall?
Wilson played more the third tall role, but move onto a wing for the later periods. With Madgen doing the opposite I thought those two may have been looking at the same spot.

Tohill also played wing and then defence (KB), so it seems to be a structure we're looking at.

Jen2310
I think we’ll end up realising we were very lucky to get Fin at pick 19

He’s a top 5 pick with the benefit of 2020 under his belt at NAB league level, IMO. Unfortunately I don’t have the same vibes with Henry his unobtrusiveness is feeling real WHE/ Egan to me. Bloody hope I’m wrong of course.

He’s a top 5 pick with the benefit of 2020 under his belt at NAB league level, IMO. Unfortunately I don’t have the same vibes with Henry his unobtrusiveness is feeling real WHE/ Egan to me. Bloody hope I’m wrong of course.
I have to admit, I feel less enthused about Henry than I do about any of Reef, Macrae, Poulter or McMahon. The latter four seem like they are all genuine 100+ gamers, with at least two becoming genuine stars. It’s funny you mention WHE, because he’s the player that Henry gives me vibes of too. Kept hearing for years that he was a real freakish talent, but at the end of the day he’s had maybe 2 very good years, and for the rest he’s been just a role player.

I have to admit, I feel less enthused about Henry than I do about any of Reef, Macrae, Poulter or McMahon. The latter four seem like they are all genuine 100+ gamers, with at least two becoming genuine stars. It’s funny you mention WHE, because he’s the player that Henry gives me vibes of too. Kept hearing for years that he was a real freakish talent, but at the end of the day he’s had maybe 2 very good years, and for the rest he’s been just a role player.
It's interesting, I remember pre-draft Henry was linked to top 10 picks a lot (one of the Bombers ones mostly). I'm happy with the selection, but WHE is an interesting comparison. I definitely saw Henry compared to Jeremy Howe with how he plays aerially, but that could be a comparison the Dees Howe.

If Henry becomes 2018 WHE then it's a blinder of a pick. If not...

It's interesting, I remember pre-draft Henry was linked to top 10 picks a lot (one of the Bombers ones mostly). I'm happy with the selection, but WHE is an interesting comparison. I definitely saw Henry compared to Jeremy Howe with how he plays aerially, but that could be a comparison the Dees Howe.
He has also been touted as a replacement for Stepho, I would be OK with comparing him with either of those 2, providing he provides better defensive pressure.
His problem, I feel, is that he doesn't get a lot of it, but has managed to kick goals in all or at least most of our practice matches. If he can provide 1.5 to 2 goals while also sticking a few tackles then he might be OK.

He has also been touted as a replacement for Stepho, I would be OK with comparing him with either of those 2, providing he provides better defensive pressure.
His problem, I feel, is that he doesn't get a lot of it, but has managed to kick goals in all or at least most of our practice matches. If he can provide 1.5 to 2 goals while also sticking a few tackles then he might be OK.
I always say, it doesn't matter how much you get the ball, if he gets goals for those that he does get; thats good enough for me. Its all about contributing on the scoreboard.

If he can be a 1.5-2.0 goals per game he will be more than ok. Start think AA jumpers in his career

Think of Didak having a career average of 1.3 goals per game and a best season of 1.8. Leon 1.2 and 1.5 and Breust 1.9 and 2.3

Small medium forwards who can go at 1.5 goals are gold. Stevo by comparison is 1.5 and 1.7 which gives some lead as to why he is not easily replaced.

If Henry can get some games and average 1 goal a game in his first few seasons I would be rapt.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting reading HS online article on young Rookies SF coach today, most clubs had 4-5 young players mentioned where Pies had up to nine players discussed.

Just on Henry, they mentioned he is a Sicily type marking forward/defender, I’m a bit more bullish on him than some here.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With those wings, where were Daicos and Sidebottom playing?

Personally I reckon Daicos is getting primed to play large stints in the midfield this year.

From Jens videos he seems to always be there.

With his ball use I’d much rather him getting the ball 20-25 times a match than Treloar 30-35.

Just means we open up some opportunity on the wings for other players. With guys like Madgen, Bianco, Rantall, Murphy, Chugg, Ginnivan, T Brown, Macrae, Quaynor, Poulter etc all suited to that spot we have plenty of options.

I see more J Hird in Henry then WHE. Style wise, WHE is a lot softer, whereas Henry has that mongrel and 1v1 ability WHE doesn’t have.

obv not saying he will win a brownlow, but think he should be aiming for Toby Greene or Luke Breust levels of output, rather than WHE

Personally I reckon Daicos is getting primed to play large stints in the midfield this year.

From Jens videos he seems to always be there.

With his ball use I’d much rather him getting the ball 20-25 times a match than Treloar 30-35.

Just means we open up some opportunity on the wings for other players. With guys like Madgen, Bianco, Rantall, Murphy, Chugg, Ginnivan, T Brown, Macrae, Quaynor, Poulter etc all suited to that spot we have plenty of options.

That seems to be the plan. I'd like to see Daicos kept on the wing. He's just found his feet there and is performing well. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

On replacing Treloar I'd go with a combination of De Goey, Sidebottom, Macrae and Sier. Assuming also Elliott shifts more permanantly forward.

Henry has class and finishing skills, which are traits that we haven’t historically had an oversupply off.

Henry strikes me as the type who could kick 3 goals from 10 touches on a semi-regular basis. The vibe for me is more Jamie Elliott than Hoskin-Elliott but reaching the level of either would be a win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m quite hopeful on Ollie

Beautiful hands, knows how to lead out in front, can take a screamer if need be, good set shot - and puts body on line / defensive pressure

Playing a very tough position

His skill set is someone you don’t get to draft in the 30s

* edit: and much more proactive and keen to be tough in the contest

He's 18 years old ffs... He hasn't even played a game....

God some supporters are just unbelievable.

I think they might eat their words before the season finishes, Henry is an exceptional talent, completely different to WHE, a slightly taller James Hird is more his comparison

I see more J Hird in Henry then WHE. Style wise, WHE is a lot softer, whereas Henry has that mongrel and 1v1 ability WHE doesn’t have.

obv not saying he will win a brownlow, but think he should be aiming for Toby Greene or Luke Breust levels of output, rather than WHE
Wow, now that I can live with. Even if he's half the player Toby Greene or Breust is that's a win. Should preface this that I'm very unfamiliar with Henry

Yes they are. I mean getting salty over people not getting vibes and hoping to be wrong!

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back