Society/Culture Are Australians more racist than other nationalities?

Remove this Banner Ad

absolutely not.

i for one dont understand how this historic moment in australian history can be glossed over in regards to Are Australians more racist than other nationalities?

i partly blame america and australia for japanese actions.

i know its nice to pretend otherwise

Why?

Japan did what it did because that was what it wanted to do.

Looking at a study by the world value survey that apparently was conducted over 3 decades that involved 80 countries, A question was asked what type of people would you refuse to live next to? The study counted up how many people answered someone from a different race.

Jordan was the worst with 51.4% saying they wouldn't live next to someone of a different race. India 2nd with 43.5%.

Least tolerant to race.

40%+ Jordan, India
30-39.99% Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Vietnam, Indonesia, South Korea.

Most Tolerant

0-4.99% United States, Canada, Argentina, Colombia, Brazil, Guatemala, Briton, Sweden, Norway, Latvia, Australia, New Zealand.

The survey did make a point that in Western countries racism is so taboo that many people will ride their racist views and lie to the questionnaire.

Looking at a study by the world value survey that apparently was conducted over 3 decades that involved 80 countries, A question was asked what type of people would you refuse to live next to? The study counted up how many people answered someone from a different race.

Jordan was the worst with 51.4% saying they wouldn't live next to someone of a different race. India 2nd with 43.5%.

Least tolerant to race.

40%+ Jordan, India
30-39.99% Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Vietnam, Indonesia, South Korea.

Most Tolerant

0-4.99% United States, Canada, Argentina, Colombia, Brazil, Guatemala, Briton, Sweden, Norway, Latvia, Australia, New Zealand.

The survey did make a point that in Western countries racism is so taboo that many people will ride their racist views and lie to the questionnaire.

Can't be racist if you hate everybody, can you?

absolutely not.

i for one dont understand how this historic moment in australian history can be glossed over in regards to Are Australians more racist than other nationalities?

i partly blame america and australia for japanese actions.

i know its nice to pretend otherwise
The Japanese treated the Ainu and Burakumin like saints until the U.S. and Australia came along.

Do you know how many survived the death marches from the Pibara to rottnest island while in chains?

in_chains.jpg
Do you?

I agree with this. I think a lot of Australian culture is based on the idea of the "typical Australian" who is laid back, drinks beer and watches footy. I think when certain people see foreigners not adhering to this, they get a bit worked up.

I'd say its more to do with things they don't know or understand.

you never hear some old coot carry on about a kabab stand unless its signs written in Arabic.
they never piss and moan about a computer shop unless the guy running it speaks a foreign language
or some food has a "strange" smell.

its more "white" people who get shit put on them for following or not following or stereotypes.

Yes, it being a taboo means that it might be more hidden.

Great example being the idea of not wanting to live near certain races. In the US they may rate very well on this, but I remember an episode of The Wire where they talked about this. (Fictional show, but I think the concept is based in fact). Basically, in a majority white neighbourhood, white people are happy to live with minority of black households. There was a tipping point however, when that minority reached about 1 in every 6 households, the white people started to sell up and move out. This 'white flight' kind of snowballs from there. The flight leads to falls in property prices, and more people leave. The proportion of black households gets higher, and those white people who are latently partially racist reach a threshold where they too would prefer a whiter neighbourhood.

In your example India rated higher, I would imagine Eastern Europe would be up there too. I think in those places, racism is entrenched over generations, often it is born out of sectarian conflict that caused genuine suffering to one or both sides. In Australia I think any racism we have is more born out of ignorance and our somewhat isolated position in the world.

I also think that in Australia we do not have the large ethnic minority groups that say the US or India has. I think that has an effect on racism in a nation's consciousness.

Yes, it being a taboo means that it might be more hidden.

Great example being the idea of not wanting to live near certain races. In the US they may rate very well on this, but I remember an episode of The Wire where they talked about this. (Fictional show, but I think the concept is based in fact). Basically, in a majority white neighbourhood, white people are happy to live with minority of black households. There was a tipping point however, when that minority reached about 1 in every 6 households, the white people started to sell up and move out. This 'white flight' kind of snowballs from there. The flight leads to falls in property prices, and more people leave. The proportion of black households gets higher, and those white people who are latently partially racist reach a threshold where they too would prefer a whiter neighbourhood.

In your example India rated higher, I would imagine Eastern Europe would be up there too. I think in those places, racism is entrenched over generations, often it is born out of sectarian conflict that caused genuine suffering to one or both sides. In Australia I think any racism we have is more born out of ignorance and our somewhat isolated position in the world.

I also think that in Australia we do not have the large ethnic minority groups that say the US or India has. I think that has an effect on racism in a nation's consciousness.

thats pretty spot, especially about the last bit. you watch doco's on this sort of stuff in foreign countries doesn't matter which and they always highlight the minority groups with "no voice" i just don't see that happening here. whenever racial stuff happens it get gets splashed all over the shop. there's no regions in australia where authorities cover up racial abuse or ignore it. you don't have regions where only certain groups go. you don't have things where the colour of your skin decides what jobs you get or where you can hangout.

but when you look overseas at things like ghettos you see these statistics which are shocking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The chinese know they are the most superior race on the planet and there is enough of them to prove it.

Your opinion. If you look at general effectiveness to innovate across all disciplines then whites have it covered and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Your opinion. If you look at general effectiveness to innovate across all disciplines then whites have it covered and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
The Chinese have excelled in human endeavours for all but 200-400 years of established civilisation. Their return to number one in economic and political terms is just a reversion to mean.

The Chinese have excelled in human endeavours for all but 200-400 years of established civilisation. Their return to number one in economic and political terms is just a reversion to mean.

Not when you look at maths, philosophy, the early Roman Empire, their failure to capitalise on the discovery of gunpowder, their failure to advance their smelting techniques compared to Europe, their inability to create a renaissance or laughable failure to generate an industrial or technological revolution. Even now they spend their time trying to "innovate" by copying supercomputers and the hadron collider. As a county they now have the biggest GDP but we are talking about race, not country, and as a race they do not have the biggest collective GDP. Their standard of living per capita remains low and their contribution to the arts and sciences from a discovery and advancement perspective remains low compared to the west. Simply put, they do not have what it takes to be as effective as the west and innovate the way we do. Look at the collider, or the US's innovations in hydraulic fracturing which is completely turning the oil industry on its head, or where all the Nobel prizes still go...

Not when you look at maths, philosophy, the early Roman Empire, their failure to capitalise on the discovery of gunpowder, their failure to advance their smelting techniques compared to Europe, their inability to create a renaissance or laughable failure to generate an industrial or technological revolution. Even now they spend their time trying to "innovate" by copying supercomputers and the hadron collider. As a county they now have the biggest GDP but we are talking about race, not country, and as a race they do not have the biggest collective GDP. Their standard of living per capita remains low and their contribution to the arts and sciences from a discovery and advancement perspective remains low compared to the west. Simply put, they do not have what it takes to be as effective as the west and innovate the way we do. Look at the collider, or the US's innovations in hydraulic fracturing which is completely turning the oil industry on its head, or where all the Nobel prizes still go...
Some of the things you say the Chinese didn't do are very narrowly defined.

And you're not talking about white Europeans there, you're talking about Jews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Are Australians more racist than other nationalities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back