Are Fremantle a top 4 candidate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, we are a candidate - if we can play like we did against Geelong every week we are more likely than not. But that is probably not likely, unless Ross can drum that into them.

They are a possible (though probably less than 50%) chance for the 4. I think Lyon will put some steel into them.

However, they will have to rely on other teams injuries or drops in form to squeze out Coll, WCE or the Bluebaggers (Geelong and Hawks being certain to make it)

I wouldn't bother reading PEN1'S opinions, half of them are about how much he hates Freo.

Heh.

I can see Freo finishing 5th-8th. That's if they can win a few in Melbourne though. They shouldn't struggle so hard against Richmond, the Dees and North if they want to contend.

Just our luck, that is the week they have their absolute full strength team, everything finally clicks for them, and Jurrah kicks 10 :eek:

C'mon guys have faith in your men! It's one of those games when you hope they don't suddenly get it all together and kick you guys off the park!

Think you are safe...expect a good win on the weekend boys!

Of course we are top four. West Coasts spot might as well already be ours. We have a far superior list and look WC are already sliding. They've had two unconvincing wins, too many crucial injuries to their best players. Im quite a fan of WC, but too many injuries and a lack of compsure will sadly see them drop down the ladder.

Umm what?

Time to say my view on this...and yes im going to be as realistic from what im going to say...

Fremantle will finish between 7th and 12th and here is why...

Freos biggest strength is the defensive back 6. They have got some tall defenders in McPharlin, Johnson, Dawson and Silvagni. Plus some good running defensive flankers in Duffield, De boer and Broughton. Thats their strength.

Freos main Weakness is the Midfield. Most of the Midfielders are kids or 2nd, 3rd or 4th year players.

There are 6 teams that can win the flag in my opinion: Cats, Hawks, Magpies, Carlton, Eagles and Saints. What do they all have in common?

They all have experienced hardened bodies in the midfield. Guys that are aged 23-29 with 100-150 games under their belt.

Freo have only got 3 that fit in that category: McPhee, Crowley and Mundy. None of those I would consider elite. Mundy is the best out of those 3.

They have enough quality to definitely finish top 8. Top 4 will depend on the fortunes of the other clubs. The problem with Freo's list is the bottom 5-10 guys are average. The overhauled a lot of the list in the last few years but there are still guys like Johnson and Crowley floating around. They are so similar to the Saints old list but with a slightly weaker midfield

Not this year. Need some hard bodies in the midfield and heart in general.

They do already have an abundance of supremely skillful young flankers, just no foundation to build it on. But hey, they obviously drafted this way for a reason. I'll be surprised if it lands them a premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have enough quality to definitely finish top 8. Top 4 will depend on the fortunes of the other clubs. The problem with Freo's list is the bottom 5-10 guys are average. The overhauled a lot of the list in the last few years but there are still guys like Johnson and Crowley floating around. They are so similar to the Saints old list but with a slightly weaker midfield

I would say out of the bottom 5-10 guys on our list, Half of them are kids, the other half are average.

The Main culling happened around 2008 and 2009 and not suprisingly recruited in both those years.

Michael Johnson has been Maligned in the past but now he faces competition for a tall defenders spot.

Crowley isn't that bad, he kicked a couple of goals in the final quarter against the swans last weekend.

But you do agree that our midfield is weak due to Lack of experienced and hardened bodies right?

If we lose to the Dees in Melbourne again this year I'm going to kill myself.
Same. They are just a sad shell of a football club that I can't believe a club as rich and powerful as ours so meekly surrenders to them. It should really be like a club like Carlton playing GWS, but Freo always plays pathetically against Melbourne. Kind of like how Fitzroy beat us before they died.

Not this year. Need some hard bodies in the midfield and heart in general.

They do already have an abundance of supremely skillful young flankers, just no foundation to build it on. But hey, they obviously drafted this way for a reason. I'll be surprised if it lands them a premiership.

Yes they did recruit a lot of Flankers in Hill, Fyfe and Mayne. There are more.

They do have some hardened bodies. There is just not Enough of them and that they are too young.

Morabito, Barlow and Suban are inside midfielders but have been affected by injuries in the past once all three overcome their injuries, Freo will be a good side.

Also you could count Nick Lower as an inside midfielder and he comes back this week.

Yes they did recruit a lot of Flankers in Hill, Fyfe and Mayne. There are more.

They do have some hardened bodies. There is just not Enough of them and that they are too young.

Morabito, Barlow and Suban are inside midfielders but have been affected by injuries in the past once all three overcome their injuries, Freo will be a good side.

Also you could count Nick Lower as an inside midfielder and he comes back this week.
Hot tip: Suban is rubbish.

despite this being taboo on the Freo board.....I agree:thumbsu:
It pains me to see a Freo fan call Fyfe a flanker and Suban an inside mid. Why is that, because Fyfe is skinny as a rake and Suban is such a pudgy little choad? Suban can't get near a contest and Fyfe is excellent at winning them. Such an idiotic call.

Freos main Weakness is the Midfield. Most of the Midfielders are kids or 2nd, 3rd or 4th year players.

At the moment yes but in a few years time a midfield brigade of Barlow, Mundy, Fyfe, Lower, Morabito and Hill is pretty decent. This is being fed by a clearance machine in Sandi and you've picked up a pretty good protege in Clarke. Clarke should be starting to be given more ruck time though with Sandi now 30 this year he isn't going to play for ever.

I still think your forward line is your weakest point personally as after Pav and Ballantye the quality does drop away pretty quickly.

There are 6 teams that can win the flag in my opinion: Cats, Hawks, Magpies, Carlton, Eagles and Saints. What do they all have in common?

They all have experienced hardened bodies in the midfield. Guys that are aged 23-29 with 100-150 games under their belt.

Freo have only got 3 that fit in that category: McPhee, Crowley and Mundy. None of those I would consider elite. Mundy is the best out of those 3.

'Midfielders' to play in so far in 2012:

200+ Embley
150+ Kerr, A Selwood
100+ Rosa, Priddis
50+ S Selwood, Masten
-50 Shuey, Gaff

I wouldn't have thought out 100-150 bracket of midfielders was particularly 'elite'.

It pains me to see a Freo fan call Fyfe a flanker and Suban an inside mid. Why is that, because Fyfe is skinny as a rake and Suban is such a pudgy little choad? Suban can't get near a contest and Fyfe is excellent at winning them. Such an idiotic call.

Well Fyfe was recruited as a Flanker/Winger but it was proven that he could be another inside midfielder.

GJ If you really think Suban is bad let the man play in the WAFL for a month to motivate him.

Suban was good before he broke his leg.

Well Fyfe was recruited as a Flanker/Winger but it was proven that he could be another inside midfielder.

GJ If you really think Suban is bad let the man play in the WAFL for a month to motivate him.

Suban was good before he broke his leg.
No he wasn't.

I'm happy for him to play in the WAFL. Should have happened a year ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Fremantle a top 4 candidate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back