Are Geelong making a mistake in giving Chris Scott a new contract extension?

Remove this Banner Ad

They stuffed up by going all out attack in the last when the game was on instead of keeping it tight like they did for 3 quarters. Coach to blame here.

Hawkins, Selwood, Dangerfield, Tuohy, Motlop, Henderson, Duncan, Taylor is the equal of Riewoldt, Prestia, Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Caddy, Grigg, Vlastuin.

He has the cattle alright, he just has no idea how to switch things up during a game when it's all going pear shaped.
He carries on roaming around the coaches box when we make a charge but is completely subdued and shell shocked when it's not going to happen.
At least try something Scott!
Throw Hawkins in the ruck.
Move Mackie to FF.
Try someone else on Martin other than Guthrie and Selwood.
Anything!

The problem with Scott is he does not have the whole team/squad playing for him. He's up the arse of the top 6-8 players and doesn't give a shit about the rest. Doesn't communicate with the other players . Locks them out of meetings and the rooms .. like last night. (No players allowed in other than the team). When push comes to shove are the players going to walk over hot coals for someone they dont respect? I think not. The Geelong way does not exist anymore. Scott calls all the shots so he deserves all the criticism and accolades.. Pity the other coaches don't have the balls to stand up to him re team selection, game style, match day moves , the are all puppets.

What the Cats lack is on field leadership. They still have talent and a decent coach, but collectively lack the calibre of Ling, Scarlett, Harley, Mooney, Rooke, Milburn.

Those blokes would all chip in with something in finals, despite never being in the top 10 talented footballers at the club (Scarlett aside).

Who steps up with brave or momentum killing efforts now? Leadership at Geelong seems to consist of Selwood getting knocked out, and everyone frothing over how that makes him a good leader.

Agree with that comment about Selwood. Geelong supporters seem to equate bleeding from the face with being a good leader. I cant believe he made the AA squad.

Geelong's club doctors were dumbasses allowing him to go on the field after injuring his ankle against Sydney. His ankle got crushed a second time in a Franklin tackle.

Last edited:

if we were another melbourne based side we would win more games not less as we would be a neutral side in melbourne and not an away side.
With Skilled up and running Geelong will play 9 or 10 games there (maybe 11). They are the only side that plays there more than once a year. They also train there.

They will play three or four games at the G as an away side.

Move to Etihad and Geelong may play a few more games there than they would at Skilled counting away games, but with no particular advantage over any Melbourne based side.

They will most likely still play the same number of games at the G, so no difference one way or another on that front.

There is no way Skilled is not a home and away advantage. I don't particularly mind but it's worth a couple of wins.

To be clear, if Whitten Oval was AFL standard we would take 11 home games there in a heartbeat.

Biggest problem for GEEL - is massive home ground advantage allows them to cruise into the TOP 8. This lulls them into a false sense of security, that hides a lot of holes, which are exposed in finals, and confirmed by 7 losses in the last 9 finals.
If this was the case then every interstate side would suffer the same fate.

If this was the case then every interstate side would suffer the same fate.

Please find me other clubs with greater than 80% win rate at home and I will find the same correlation.

Ultimately its the 7 losses from 9 finals that seals this argument regarding the false sense of security that huge HGA exposes.

Last edited:
They stuffed up by going all out attack in the last when the game was on instead of keeping it tight like they did for 3 quarters. Coach to blame here.

Interesting but I thought the opposite.

Yes Richmond's dangerous outside run needed to be addressed, but after dropping two forwards and playing how we did (quite hesitantly) it just seemed we didn't really give Richmond anything to think about.
You need to take the game on in finals and take some risks, because the combination of pressure and fatigue means structures are harder to maintain.

I think the mistake was not changing a forward structure that wasn't working. Dangerfield FF perhaps. Bombing on top of Taylor, who stayed deep, was rather defensive in itself.

Not really.
Chris got there in his first year pretty much on the back of a whole host of superstar players who craved the big moments. It was the same superstars who nearly dragged us over the line a couple of seasons later.

We do need a fresh new direction.
12 months prior Same said superstars (plus the biggest superstar in the game who wasn't there in 2011) got thumped in a prelim and were miles off the pace. The game plan didn't hold up. Scott came in and whilst inheriting a strong list, it was weaker than the year before. He changed the game plan and the rest is history.

In 2017 the game plan is good enough to have us finish top 2. Please tell me how with all the momentum in the third quarter last night, how Geelong falling away was the responsibility of Chris Scott. His defensive game plan and structures had limited an utterly dominant Richmond team to only a 9 point lead at the half when it felt like they should have been 8 goals up. The players have to take accountability. We just weren't good enough.

Please tell me how with all the momentum in the third quarter last night, how Geelong falling away was the responsibility of Chris Scott.

Because the Geelong side play too much to a tentative, structured plan, not enough on initiative. A side effect of our excellent defence is an inability to score.

Structures fall away a bit in finals. You need to take the game on and give the opposition something to think about.

Have we learnt nothing from Ross Lyon teams?

Chris Scott's game plan;
Plan A - Hope Dangerfield wins the game off his own boot.
Plan B - Hope Selwood wins the game off his own boot.
Plan C - Flap his arms up and down in the coaching box and hope for the best.

You forgot Plan D. Put the umpires on notice through the media during the week and ride the free kicks to victory, or is that basically plan B?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They play Neil Craig type of footy. Too robotic.

Slow, possession footy doesn't win finals unless you've got Sam Mitchell in your team.

If the comment about Scott only talking to the top 8 or so players is true that is damning.

5 wins during the H&A that could have, perhaps should have, been losses - north early, dixon not counting to 30, smith and walters having the lost shots on goal for points in games decided by under a goal, and hawkins almost putting his shot after the siren OOF.

with a little less luck, geelong finish 12th or worse.

instead they finish 2nd and get drilled by a very hungry and very good team. a team that - without some opposite luck - dont drop their own 3 close games in the last minute and finish top.

in that sense, im not entirely surprised. didnt expect a thumping of that size, but definitely didnt assume a win either.

geelong have great top end talent, but arent that great a team.

i still think scott is a decent coach. not a great, not a dunce.

he is a decent coach coaching an ok team.

i wouldn't say its a 'mistake', but its probably the 'safe option'. top 4 more often than not... but that has a touch of the arsene wenger about it, and that isnt necessarilly a good thing.

but whatever - if geelong dont turn it around and make the GF, and i cant see that happening, im on the richmond bandwagon.

disappointed for my team, but honestly more happy for richmond.

Please find me other clubs with greater than 80% win rate at home and I will find the same correlation.

Ultimately its the 7 losses from 9 finals that seals this argument regarding the false sense of security that huge HGA exposes.
Perhaps they could have resized the ground during the renovation - but it may not provide the same home ground advantage - which provides more wones/supporters/corporate dollars without the overheads of MCG and Docklands. Good Business.

Perhaps the best prepration for finals at MCG is secondary.

The new Perth Stadium is the size of MCG, not Subiaco...

You forgot Plan D. Put the umpires on notice through the media during the week and ride the free kicks to victory, or is that basically plan B?
lol the hawks did that for years and were given at least two premierships from it! now that the hawks are not the umpires flavour of the month we constantly hear clarko whinging about them in the media

Perhaps they could have resized the ground during the renovation - but it may not provide the same home ground advantage - which provides more wones/supporters/corporate dollars without the overheads of MCG and Docklands. Good Business.

The size of our home ground v the MCG wasn't an issue until the last couple of years. IMO posters are trying to find reasons for our finals losses which are tenuous at best. Our side is a patched together mob of rookies and late draft picks with a few top quality players, it might be more that we overachieve during the regular season.

Re our home ground we got beaten in a final there the same way we have lost most of those seven finals, by getting jumped in the first quarter.

A shorter and 'rounder' oval venue is better for cricket and rectangular field sports, too.

The best WC sides won finals everywhere, the sides a rung or two down did not.

The size of our home ground v the MCG wasn't an issue until the last couple of years. IMO posters are trying to find reasons for our finals losses which are tenuous at best. Our side is a patched together mob of rookies and late draft picks with a few top quality players, it might be more that we overachieve during the regular season.

Re our home ground we got beaten in a final there the same way we have lost most of those seven finals, by getting jumped in the first quarter.
We've wall papered over the cracks, the roof is caving in and our fans are complaining about the plumbing.

Geelong's final record since 2011.

2 wins
7 losses

This is ultimately what pisses Geelong fans off.

Hmmm, one of those wins was against Port, the other from Smith missing after the siren.

What? So we should be punished for playing better at home than all the interstate sides?

10 or so clubs can travel up the road within an hour if they want to get familiar with a ground. It's nowhere near as disadvantageous as playing interstate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Geelong making a mistake in giving Chris Scott a new contract extension?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back