Are Geelong making a mistake in giving Chris Scott a new contract extension?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a genius regular season coach to get a cobbled together team into finals and top 4 but it seems to fall apart when the finals hit.

Biggest issue for mine is we have a habit of not showing up in finals and getting smashed in Q1 - Richmond couldn't kick straight last night, Swans last year, Freo at Simonds, North the year before.....

He's a genius regular season coach to get a cobbled together team into finals and top 4 but it seems to fall apart when the finals hit.

Biggest issue for mine is we have a habit of not showing up in finals and getting smashed in Q1 - Richmond couldn't kick straight last night, Swans last year, Freo at Simonds, North the year before.....
Yeah I agree. You talk about choking come finals and Geelong really do choke. Selwood wasn't fit last night but you had to play him, Guthrie getting injured didn't help, but then you've got half a dozen players that were just nowhere last night. I'd be really frustrated as a Cats fan today. You had your chances last night but just couldn't capitalise when it mattered.

I'd much prefer us just to ******* stagnate in the bottom eight year after year. He keeps putting us in contention. He gets us to the line. Coaches can only do so much once the ball is bounced. Beaten by a better team tonight. He'd be snapped up in a heartbeat by nearly any other club if he became available. Rated the hardest coach to coach against. By other coaches. But Big Footy knows best.
I'll throw these names into the mix;
Henderson
Parsons
Murdoch
Menegola
Stewart
Blicavs
Kolodjashnij

7 guys that had a below average game.

You can only blame the coach so much. It's time Geelongs second tier stood up. The positive is that they are still in it.

Henderson
Parsons
Murdoch
Menegola
Stewart
Blicavs
Kolodjashnij

You can only blame the coach so much. It's time Geelongs second tier stood up. The positive is that they are still in it.

I don't blame the coach although I think he is complacent in his finals coaching style, using it as a development process when we should be treating each final like our last.

It's more that a lot of these players in the team now are late draft picks or rookies who we have managed to develop into AFL players but when finals happen, quality matters and they get exposed.

I don't blame the coach although I think he is complacent in his finals coaching style, using it as a development process when we should be treating each final like our last.

It's more that a lot of these players in the team now are late draft picks or rookies who we have managed to develop into AFL players but when finals happen, quality matters and they get exposed.
But really, how much different is a final? I mean you can put a team together that finishes second, yet come finals time you just crumble. I think it's between the ears.

You're doing enough to get into such a strong position, but then efforts like last night just have you shaking your head at some of the efforts. You're obviously the second best side from 18 teams, so why can't these guys take their opportunity?

No other team in the league gets the advantage Geelong does, with it's own sub-standard home ground. Add in the fact you've been gifted games there against top 8 contenders rather than easy beats and it just papers the cracks of what is ultimately an average team that bats 2 players deep.

I'm happy to put it on the line and say that Geelong will again be exposed on the MCG come finals time where they can't compensate for their lack of depth with a narrow ****hole of a ground.

Nailed it.

That best 22 is average as ****. It's a miracle he got them into the top 4. The coach ain't the problem. .
Geelong lost some great talent to retirement & sold the farm to bring in Danger, Henderson & Smith ....Smith & Henderson have been failures & their recent 1st round picks have been average

Parfitt looking the goods, Cockatoo will be good ......but others (meh) and where's the next spine players for Scott to work with ......a coach has to have the cattle, not just 2 superstars to carry a team

Not a fan of the Cats or the coach, but I think the latter is the lesser of the issues.
Cats have to do a rebuild .....but agree Coach is not the issue

A "team" won last night against a team with "superstars"

Cats have to do a rebuild .....but agree Coach is not the issue

A "team" won last night against a team with "superstars"

Agree. The Cats depth is a bigger issue than anything else, and there are sides now appearing in their rear view mirror.

I see 3 or 4 years out of the finals for Geelong..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henderson
Parsons
Murdoch
Menegola
Stewart
Blicavs
Kolodjashnij

Duncan was our only player who actually had a good game last night. Seemed like most were still lost somewhere on the way to the ground.

cats want to avoid a rebuild and just keep topping up with trades
agree & can understand that approach, when you have Superstars in Dangerfield & Selwood .....but that approach failed for Brisbane as well

I think the coach has taken the Cats back to their old tradition. 7 out 9 finals lost. Soon to be 8 from 10.

elisabetta-slouch-handbag-o.jpg

Duncan was our only player who actually had a good game last night. Seemed like most were still lost somewhere on the way to the ground.
Thought Danger was good, but they tried him in too many roles to fill needs down forward

agree & can understand that approach, when you have Superstars in Dangerfield & Selwood .....but that approach failed for Brisbane as well

well if they dont win any flags in the next 1-2 years, its failed

on the other side, amazing for the crows, youve lost your players (like the dogs did), lost your coach :(
i hope you win the flag , do it for phil walsh

They are going to cripple themselves if they add Abblett to the side. Would leave the selfish guy at Gold Coast, with the way the side is now.
If that happens .....Geelong will end up with a 6 year rebuild required ......they simply have to start going back to the draft, not giving 1st rnd picks up for the likes of Henderson?

Danger had a shocker. Only looked good on the stats. His ball use was ineffective and was constantly run down.
Started out on fire .....but yes dropped away and IIRC his DE was 31% ......but did that knee knock affect him ? ....his drop off was after that incident?

well if they dont win any flags in the next 1-2 years, its failed

on the other side, amazing for the crows, youve lost your players (like the dogs did), lost your coach :(
i hope you win the flag , do it for phil walsh
Can't see it happening .....lose another two to retirement this year, and no obvious equal quality replacements

If you ignore the draft (trading away) or fail with your picks, you're at a huge disadvantage in this comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Geelong making a mistake in giving Chris Scott a new contract extension?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back