Are Geelong making a mistake in giving Chris Scott a new contract extension?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomber Thompsons hard work getting all those great father son picks you mean, I always saw Geelong as a side where you had a bunch of on field leaders that basically coached themselves. These days there is a mediocre coach and a lot less leaders all over the ground.
Scarlett, Hawkins and Ablett are only 3 guys man.

I'd much prefer us just to ****ing stagnate in the bottom eight year after year. He keeps putting us in contention. He gets us to the line. Coaches can only do so much once the ball is bounced. Beaten by a better team tonight. He'd be snapped up in a heartbeat by nearly any other club if he became available. Rated the hardest coach to coach against. By other coaches. But Big Footy knows best.

Last edited:

I'd much prefer us just to ******* stagnate in the bottom eight year after year. He keeps putting us in contention. He gets us to the line. Coaches can only do so much once the ball is bounced. Beaten by a better team tonight. He'd be snapped up in a heartbeat by nearly any other club if he became available. Rated the hardest coach to coach against. By other coaches. But Big Footy knows best.

I really rate Chris Scott as a coach, he makes a little go a very long way.

Geelong fans have to realize this isn't a patch on even their 2013 side. They have topped up from other clubs and rely massively on 2 superstars to drag them over the line. It's not a sustainable strategy for success and is reliant on a lot of things going right.

The alternative would be to just take the medicine with draft picks, but if you get top 4 a couple of years in a row you have to say its worth it as your giving yourself a chance

Their list is the biggest worry.

I think it's more the coach.
Why select Parsons? He has not shown anything.
Stewart has been steady but he's a battler. Why not go with genuine athletic quality such as Thurlow?
Blicavs, Motlop, Murdoch seem to be automatic locks no matter what kind of form they are in. Neither will be dropped for next week's must win clash.
Taylor as a forward?
There are many coaching concerns.

I think it's more the coach.
Why select Parsons? He has not shown anything.
Stewart has been steady but he's a battler. Why not go with genuine athletic quality such as Thurlow?
Blicavs, Motlop, Murdoch seem to be automatic locks no matter what kind of form they are in. Neither will be dropped for next week's must win clash.
Taylor as a forward?
There are many coaching concerns.

Taylor as a forward, in his first year being played there regularly, has kicked three bags and pulled Rance's pants down last time they met. That tactic is the least of our worries.

Regardless of finals results, you can't just spear a bloke because we keep losing finals. And hey let's be realistic, in at least 4 of the defeats since we won the flag, it has been one shocking quarter that has cost us. Sydney last year, Fremantle 2012, Hawthorn 2013 and tonight (yes I realise we didn't play especially well for the first 3 quarters but we were within a kick with 20 minutes to play).

Getting rid of someone for that reason is just a mind blowingly simple way of looking at things.

Think about teams like Sydney and Adelaide over the years. They were just short of premiership class but they recognised that a coach probably isn't going to be the difference in finals if you simply don't quite have the cattle. I believe that if everyone was at their best we DO have the cattle, but we can afford far less than other teams, for ours to be off their best.

GWS, Adelaide, Sydney and right now Richmond - 4-5 good honest players have an off night, the rest will cover it. We don't have that field-wide depth so it gets exposed more easily.

Get ready for the sooky sooky press conference. Blame injuries, deflect, etc.

I don't get this. Scott is one of the few coaches who doesn't just trot out the cliches, and I have seriously never really heard him blame anything for a defeat other than either being not good enough or the opposition being too good.

Like us, you've had a coach for a long time who goes into bat for his team. Hawks fans of all people should appreciate that.

Made a grave error in dropping Menzel, but kept Motlop in the team. Playing an underdone Selwood was stupid.
Kelly would have been handy too, but pissed him off two years too early.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't get this. Scott is one of the few coaches who doesn't just trot out the cliches, and I have seriously never really heard him blame anything for a defeat other than either being not good enough or the opposition being too good.

Like us, you've had a coach for a long time who goes into bat for his team. Hawks fans of all people should appreciate that.

Most Geelong supporters don't like their own coach. I don't get why you keep him, when you have a side that loses final after final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting rid of someone for that reason is just a mind blowingly simple way of looking at things.

Not really.
It could lead to a coach who sways toward certain players. Guys like Murdoch and Motlop would have been dropped, traded long ago. Building a list to implement a coaches game strategies is what separates the grand finalists from the rest.
Chris got there in his first year pretty much on the back of a whole host of superstar players who craved the big moments. It was the same superstars who nearly dragged us over the line a couple of seasons later.

We do need a fresh new direction.

I'd much prefer us just to ******* stagnate in the bottom eight year after year. He keeps putting us in contention. He gets us to the line. Coaches can only do so much once the ball is bounced. Beaten by a better team tonight. He'd be snapped up in a heartbeat by nearly any other club if he became available. Rated the hardest coach to coach against. By other coaches. But Big Footy knows best.
He was gifted a team and has been gifted good players and stll goes backwards. Walked into a premiership team on a platter and now can't do any thing when it requires his own work

Most Geelong supporters don't like their own coach. I don't get why you keep him, when you have a side that loses final after final.

Because more often than not, it is the fact that we simply don't have that good a squad that costs us matches.

'Sorry Chris but your team's inability to hit a target in those finals you keep helping us to, is why we've got to let you go.'

What sort of clipboard does he have that is going to magically turn our side into 22 top liners who ALL play well every week, against the best sides in the competition?

We have a dozen genuinely good players, half a dozen decent role players, and invariably 3-4 lower end guys who HAVE to be close to maximum output to win big games. What is he supposed to do?

Not a bad result for us tonight. Puts more spotlight on him. Making the grand final would've been much worse as it would've further extended his tenure. We actually need a new coach if we want to win a flag.

He was gifted a team and has been gifted good players and stll goes backwards. Walked into a premiership team on a platter and now can't do any thing when it requires his own work

He got gifted a team that ha gradually had almost all of its top end talent sucked dry by the sands of time. We don't still have Scarlett, Enright, Johnson, Chapman, Kelly, Ling, Mooney, Milburn, Rooke, Ottens, Bartel in the side. We haven't for some time.

Henderson was an average player when we got him. Tuohy wS better but not as good as he is now. Smith was a fringe player who's developed into a genuinely decent ruckman. Dangerfield is the line ready made star we've picked up.

Again, in flabbergastered that you somehow expect us to have done better with what we've got.

Not really.
It could lead to a coach who sways toward certain players. Guys like Murdoch and Motlop would have been dropped, traded long ago. Building a list to implement a coaches game strategies is what separates the grand finalists from the rest.
Chris got there in his first year pretty much on the back of a whole host of superstar players who craved the big moments. It was the same superstars who nearly dragged us over the line a couple of seasons later.

We do need a fresh new direction.

Murdoch has improved out of sight this year. Motlop certainly - he has to go and should have last year. Murdoch has more upside because he actually tries.

He got gifted a team that ha gradually had almost all of its top end talent sucked dry by the sands of time. We don't still have Scarlett, Enright, Johnson, Chapman, Kelly, Ling, Mooney, Milburn, Rooke, Ottens, Bartel in the side. We haven't for some time.

Henderson was an average player when we got him. Tuohy wS better but not as good as he is now. Smith was a fringe player who's developed into a genuinely decent ruckman. Dangerfield is the line ready made star we've picked up.

Again, in flabbergastered that you somehow expect us to have done better with what we've got.

I think most supporters are flabbergasted you've come this far.

It's the Geelong supporters who've been talking up their chances this year and beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Geelong making a mistake in giving Chris Scott a new contract extension?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back